• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:22 PM

It is non-toxic to humans and other warm blooded animals.
I just rubbed some into my dogs coat to help control her fleas.
It won't hurt ya, just don't want to breathe in too much dust.

I can put some of this stuff on my cats then? My cats have a slight case of fleas all of a sudden and the damn spray we're using blows.

#22 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:51 PM

Yes, you can use it on your cats.
It's a nice natural method of flea control.
Just sprinkle it on and rub it into the coat.
It's completely harmless.

#23 reefer

reefer

Mod of the Ocean

• Expired Member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:59 PM

I use it in my store to prevent and control mites. good stuff.

#24 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:24 PM

excellent post jim!

#25 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:58 PM

Well, I waited a few days to see if it the D.E was effective or not. Sadly they're still there...by the thousands. Their population is just too large to control, so I took the tub outside.

Once outside, I dumped it upside down on window screen. I ran a hose over the chips for a few minutes. I could not believe how many termites were in this tub. I basically tried to flush them out with the hose.

There's no way this tub can remain a tub. I'll have to leave the woodchip block out in the garden and eventually some natural predators will find their way in. I wish I knew of a better method of killing them without damaging the mycelium, the termites were not affected by a bleach soak.

#26 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:17 PM

freezing them perhaps ?

#27 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:17 PM

im pretty sure D.E. is most effective when applied dry
watering it in like that may not be as effective...for plants we apply a thin 'casing' to the top of the soil container, and anything that makes contact with the D.earth dies, whoever lives tracks some back inside the colony and helps exterminate systematically i guess you can say.
sorry to hear it didnt help ya waylit, and hope you can make the save :eusa_pray
Ps.thanks again for the great info..thats the most complete write-up on D.E. ive ever seen!:bow:

#28 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:55 PM

the DE is also spread by the insects cannibalizing their dead

#29 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:58 AM

Off topic and all but, the DE advice you gave me for the pets was hands down the best advice i've recieved for fleas on pets. My girlfriend bought this Hurtz product for fleas and ticks and it nearly killed my youngest cat Bailey. Although he's well above the minimum recommended age from Hurtz. He started to throw up several times a day and had become very sluggish and started twitching from poisoning i'd guess. I immediately had her wash the Hurtz product off all 3 cats well in a bath while I went to purchase the DE. After they dried I applied the Diatom Dust generously to their coats and low and behold the fleas were gone in just a few days. Now Bailey's finally eating again and starting to chipper up. Thanks for that advice man! I wouldn't in a million years advise someone to use that Hurtz shit. Geeze man, it nearly killed my cat. After looking at the net some, come to find out Hurtz has law suits on their hands from their products. :dead:

#30 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:17 AM

You just can't beat natural methods of pest control.
Glad it worked out for ya...and your kitty too. :)

#31 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:46 AM

Yeah, no kidding! I can't believe how effective that stuff is on fleas. The lady at the garden center I purchased it from said she used it as well on her pets.

I meant Hartz products.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!