• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lukester

lukester

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 12:24 PM

I have a African chiclid tank which requires a ph of about 7.5 to 8.4.

I want to know if I can use this water for my projects?
The Ph is at 7.5 right now and the tank has some salt in the water, not too much. It is recommended that you use water with nutrients in it for mushies, and my tank water is full of them. So can I use it?
  • Earthling likes this

#2 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 12:32 PM

i wouldn't use it.........rather the nutrient laden water that is talked so widely about is pond or natural water..........however i have seen fabulous results with just plain tap water........and if its not broke i dont fix it......

good luck

#3 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:57 AM

I wish I still had my africans....what kind do you have?
Anyway I was thinking that the aqua water would prolly be just fine, especially if you use a peat casing or coffe grounds because you want to raise the ph a little.
As far as the nutrients go....they're great for houseplants (natural nitrates) if your tank is set up right[I'm sure it is if you've kept the cichlids alive for any amount of time] but I don't think that mushies utilize the same type of nutes, so it prolly wouldn't help your yields or growth speed any. The ph buffering aspect though... try it out and let us know...

#4 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 23 February 2005 - 11:09 AM

The PH would be fine. Mushrooms grow very well in the 7-8 range, but salt is toxic to mycelium.

#5 reefer

reefer

Mod of the Ocean

• Expired Member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 11:43 AM

I have an african cichlid tank as well. I wouldn't recommend using tank water, though. While its true that your tank water contains a lot of dissolved nutrients, there's a lot of other crap in there that you don't want. (nitrates, phosphates, silicates and possibly trace amounts of ammonia and nitrites)

If you want to use some nutrient rich water then use water from a pond or stream. Haven't tried it myself but some people swear by it.
  • Earthling likes this

#6 nomoreusmc

nomoreusmc

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 940 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 01:53 AM

nute rich yes, bacteria rich also I'd think

#7 lukester

lukester

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 04:49 AM

I have 8 africans + about 30 babies. From size going up, 30 babies less then 1/2 inch kennyi, 3in bumblee bee, two 4in Kennyi male and female (Pseudotropheus lombardoi), , 4in sunshine peacock (Aulonocara baenschi), 4in Jewel Cichlid (Hemichromis bimaculatus), 4in Victorian (Haplochromine), 5in albino Zebra (Lobochilotes labiatus), and 6in I am not sure at all what he is any more but he owns the tank. I have gone thorough about 20 africans to finally get a group that will not kill eachother. I still want to add a 7 stripped Frontosa (Cyphotilapia Frontosa), but have lost one already when added. They cost like $20 at less then 1in.

The most recent fish is about 1 year old and the oldest is 2 years old. It is a 48 gallon tank with 3 filters, bubble wall, heater, and two bottem feeders. One is a 5in synodontis (not spelled right) and a regular placo (placustomus?).

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:17 AM

i wouldn't use tank water,
but lake/river water is great
  • Earthling likes this

#9 lukester

lukester

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 01:48 PM

I also have a feeder tank with guppies to feed them, can I use that water. It has no salt or anything other then but some stress coat gel for the fish to reduce stress?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!