Fisana

- - - - -

Mega Liquid Culture Photo Log PoSt EM

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:12 AM

Ok so after finally getting LC's down to a science.. I thought id post some pics of some LC's , much props to my boy arezap for some of the original used to create this new batch, ;)
So word right here we have a crap load of varieties represented, ofcourse as everyone knows this was done oversea's where this type of thing is legal.

enjoy

Basic info

3% Karo Light Solution to 500ML of tap water
Sometimes I use glass irregular shaped rocks in the bottom , sometimes I dont.... either way I get the mycelium to break up when I need to use it... My lids enable me to shake the jars but thats a whole nuther thread :)

These jars are about 7 - 10 days old at the time the photo was taken.

I pressure cooked for 20 minutes at 15 psi

I allow the cooker to come to a boil before i put jars in the cooker...

be careful doing this... cool jars can crack so i use warm water in my jars...

i put them in cooker, and seal... and once it reaches 15 psi I start the 15 minute count down.... dont worry i didnt forget the last 5 minutes...

The last 5 minutes is your cooldown...

at 15 minutes shut the flame off....

allow pressure to escape in slow burts...

once pressure totally escapes allow cooker to cool before removing jars..

you should be fine with little to no carmelization

I love LC's.... and it actually is very easy to see contams in LC's once you get the hang of it..

One thing I have noticed is that mycelium it seems can overcome a small contam in a jar over time.... anyone else ever experience this?

peace
indi

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0406.jpg
  • 100_0407.jpg

#2 shobimono

shobimono

Chat Admin

• Free Member
  • 833 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:21 AM

3% Karo Light Solution to 500ML of tap water

How much karo to 500ml of tap water?

#3 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:59 AM

How much karo to 500ml of tap water?

1 tablespoon to 500ML of tap water works for me....

#4 Guest_CoyoteMesc_*

Guest_CoyoteMesc_*

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:02 PM

15ml, a table spoon per 500ml of h20

nice job indicaz...

#5 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 28 October 2006 - 01:05 PM

Thanks.. I hope others post there LC as well!

#6 Outer

Outer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 242 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:24 PM

just what i was looking for a foaf wants to do this badly just wasnt sure iall you needed was karo! Indicaz your starting to be one of my fav posters bro love your simplicity! Im gonna pm you about getting some of those bandaids cause what we got aint the same .My foaf has had better results on his 2nd try thx to Hippie and would love to move to birdseed and LCs and like your jar tek etc.
Cheers ,Outer

#7 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:40 PM

Your jars look great ...are they multispore injected....?

#8 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:29 PM

a few were multispore...

a few were LC transfers..

Outer thanks for the compliments , if you need any help just gimme a holla

peace
indi

#9 1unar3clipse_7

1unar3clipse_7

Get high or Stoned Trying

• Expired Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:53 PM

indicaz,

Im actually curious to how your LC jar tops are setup, i know about the shards of glass in the jar, and self healing injection ports. Do you use tyvek for top gas exchange?

#10 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:28 PM

indicaz,

Im actually curious to how your LC jar tops are setup, i know about the shards of glass in the jar, and self healing injection ports. Do you use tyvek for top gas exchange?

all that info can be found in my jar lid thread found here
http://mycotopia.net...ead.php?t=15291

and no tyvek is used whatsoever..... tyvek and lc's from my experience have not worked well...

Sometimes i use marbles. sometimes i use glass , sometimes i use nothing...

my lids enable jars to be shaken without leaking or soaking tyvek... so breaking mycelium up is a breeze

#11 mikeownow

mikeownow

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:58 PM

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1162090705

=D

Attached Thumbnails

• 3.jpg

#12 yerbaadam

yerbaadam

SpectraL veNtriloQuist

• Expired Member
  • 782 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:22 PM

LC TRANSFERS!?!

Is this like taking a syring of LC and shooting it into a new, uncolonized lar of LC? Foaf wanted to do this, but didn't know if it would contribute to senescence. Does the second generation jar go slower?

Seems like your jars have nice fast growth. No stir plate either. Nice job homes, as always. Keep up the good work!

>> yer friEnd and ServaNt, nAscAR denDriTE duDLEy

#13 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:20 AM

LC TRANSFERS!?!

Is this like taking a syring of LC and shooting it into a new, uncolonized lar of LC? Foaf wanted to do this, but didn't know if it would contribute to senescence. Does the second generation jar go slower?

Seems like your jars have nice fast growth. No stir plate either. Nice job homes, as always. Keep up the good work!

>> yer friEnd and ServaNt, nAscAR denDriTE duDLEy

As for your question regarding the LC transfer...yes it is filling a syringe with colonized LC and transferring to a new jar. I have found that growth does not slow even transferring from cultures that have been stored for a year or more. I have transferred up to 4 generations... With no visible degredation. I also have cleaned up a few strains using LC transfers but that a whole nuther balll of wax.

Honestly I cannot really give you a factual comment on this more then I can give opinion.

My opinion says that eventually the mycelium will become stunted and grow slow... as this is what I have learned over the years with grain 2 grain transfers.... However this is just thought rather then fact and as of yet I see no degredation of teh mycelial body when transferred.

An expert on this subject would be great LOL, however LC's and the discussion of LC's seems to be a VERY overlooked topic so I think most of the resident experts on this topic can be found right in this thread :)

I do agree though the more transfers, the more youd expect to eventually see weak and degraded mycelia.. Have I seen it as of yet NO.... so maybe it isnt fact but rather just throught...

Post more LC"s folks!

Nice work Mike... that kinda looks like my B+ jar , how did you get such a clear pic on a light backround?

peace
indi

#14 yerbaadam

yerbaadam

SpectraL veNtriloQuist

• Expired Member
  • 782 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:43 PM

An expert on this subject would be great LOL, however LC's and the discussion of LC's seems to be a VERY overlooked topic so I think most of the resident experts on this topic can be found right in this thread :)

Yes, even in pault stamets books, there are only a couple very breif mentions of LC technique. It seems, he is more a bout agar, or blending agar into water in eberbach containes. No discussion of growth stimulating liquids from growing out mycelial cell chains in.

A girl i know used to work in a lab specializing in large scale fermentation. In a way, just LC work, with gene specific nutrients designed for the optimal growth of certain cells. I'll have to pick her brains about the effects of transfers on the genetic qulity of cells. Logic would only suggest as you have mentioned, that there is some degradation.
Stamets advises against more than 3 generations of cloning. Changing the nutrients and conditions will help slow down the process of genetic boredom.

biGgesT hUGS>> yer FRienD naScAR dEnDRiTE duDLEy

#15 Tahoe58

Tahoe58

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:33 AM

job well done, thanks, for this....I will now move on to do my own...others that I have seen have not been clearly communicated, so I feel much more comfortable proceeding...thanks, and continued good luck and good karma ur way man!!:kewl:

#16 roksoc

roksoc

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:36 AM

Sweet collection of LC's you got there indicaz.

#17 StroFun

StroFun

Master Baiter

• Expired Member
  • 501 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:07 PM

in keeping with the theory that varying substrates will slow strain degredation, would different agar recipes stave off this degredation? And if a different recipe is used each time how many generations would afoaf expect to get?

#18 Tweexican

Tweexican

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:05 PM

yes, often when cleaning up agar cultures, it is stressed that different forms of agar be used.

#19 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:29 PM

how does that apply to LC's tho....

Would one just vary what they make the LC from or would one just make the LC more dilute or concentrated?

I would assume changing the LC ingredients would work, as you referenced to in agar work.

#20 SquishFace

SquishFace

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 05:22 AM

how does that apply to LC's tho....

Would one just vary what they make the LC from or would one just make the LC more dilute or concentrated?

I would assume changing the LC ingredients would work, as you referenced to in agar work.

Use like between vanila, honey, corn syrup, or dextrose. The same applies.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!