• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 the jesus

the jesus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:46 PM

I am venturing into the world of popcorn and have two questions.

1. When hydrating, the teks I've read say it is done when you can break the kernels with your thumbnail. I am wondering if that means the whole kernel breaks in half easily or if it means just the outside casing breaks.

2. I only have two 1/2 quart jars at the moment, is it futile to try popcorn in 1/2 pints?

Many thanks for your help.

#2 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 01:14 PM

Quarts are what I like but if you have a bunch of 1/2 pints, they work too. I've been there.

As for futile, it kinda depends on what you are going to do with the popcorn. Straw log or nugget? it'll be just fine. Small casings? (One of my first popcorn grows was cut with wet vermiculite 50/50 and covered in a thin layer of verm and it worked really well). In fact, half pints will colinize a day or two earlier than the quarts so you end up sacrificing conveneience of bigger jars to speed the process a little. Big outdoor projects? get bigger jars.

There are some fine popcorn hydration teks in the archive. I like to pour the dry popcorn into the pressure cooker and fill with water to several inches above the popcorn and 15psi for 30 minutes. then when the canner is safe to open, rince with hot water till all the murky starches wash away (caution, I plugged a sink drain once by not flushing enough water through the system) and then lay out the grain on top of clean towels single layer to dry fully. Once dry, load into jars about 3/4 full. Try not to crush the now tender and fat kernals. Put your lids on with either tyvek or polyfill--your choice of grow lids--and then PC the jars at 15psi again for 60 minutes. let cool and noc up. :)

good luck!

Attached Thumbnails

• speedbump2006114659027.gif

#3 eternalfrost

eternalfrost

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 811 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 01:21 PM

"1. When hydrating, the teks I've read say it is done when you can break the kernels with your thumbnail. I am wondering if that means the whole kernel breaks in half easily or if it means just the outside casing breaks."

basicly they will start out rock hard all the through right out of the bag. the more you cook the more it soaks up water and turns mushy, you want to stop it sometime between when you can easily crash them open but before its just a pot of starchy sludge.

its the same basic idea as cooking pasta. starts out hard, gets softer. you stop cooking both when they are 'wet' all the way through but not limp noodles yet

#4 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 02:02 PM

I like to bite em ,to test for tenderness...They should be just slightly more firm than you would normally cook em for eating....

#5 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 October 2006 - 02:20 PM

hehe mee too golly. In fact i used 1/2 pt,pts, and qts. And i like the smaller jars cause they colonized faster leavin less time for contams to get in. The fingernail/bite test works great if ya pay attention. about evry 15 min I try a kernal or two and at 45 min simmer i could easily bite into but not through. Rinsin in cold water stops the cookin process and stops kernals from burstin too. good luck. BTW success for me, only happened after payin close attention to moisture content. (all grains). and i always add a small amount of dry verm to bottom of jars before loadin in the corn.:reb:

#6 the jesus

the jesus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:08 PM

Thanks alot guys. I did up a bunch of 1/2 pints to start. I hydrated them each a little differently and labeled them to see which ones work best. I was afraid to pc the kernels 'cause of horror stories about nasties growing on the walls. I am excited about my graduation from cakes. I will let you know how it goes.:hippie:

#7 the jesus

the jesus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:56 PM

Just wondering if anyone would like to give suggestions on what I should use with this popcorn. I was thinking a basic casing with the coir/verm mix from mycrotopia. Good idea or should I spawn to donkey poo? Figured I'd ask some people with some popcorn experience. Also the coir/verm mix is usable right off with no pasteurization correct?

Any input/opinions would be much appreciated, thanks.:rasta:

#8 eternalfrost

eternalfrost

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 811 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:55 PM

he dosent have more then a few casings behind him, but my friend says that from what hes seen, spawning to some poo deffinatly makes quite a difference and is real easy, the extra 2-3 days of colinization are well worth the extra harvest.

new verm is basically sterile out of the bag, of course the more it sits around the more chance there will get nasties stowaways in there. plus it has the nutritional value of styrofoam so nothing will be physically growing in it. still better safe then sorry though. again, the extra 10 min in the microwave is well worth it

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!