• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:57 PM

A switch (on/off) is fine. Ya gotta have a power switch.

The high/low switch...I can't tell you, because I'm not certain what it is composed of.

If the hi/low is just a triac/SCR or some other kind of silicone device that is bleeding amperage under load, it isn't good for the motor.

If it is a coil type device that is limiting current through resistance, it won't hurt the motor at all.

Those are huge oversimplifications, by the way.

The easy way to tell if you should use a speed control is how much it costs. If it costs less than $10, it is silicone based and bad. If it costs in the $30-$200 range, it is a rheostat and it is good.

#22 wtoad

wtoad

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:15 PM

If your worried about the high / low switch on the item you can buy a really decent fan control here: http://www.littlegre...controls2.shtml

Wiring is easy enough, just plug it in. Or you can get the cheaper one and rewire your switches. Thats easy too.

Considering what fans cost at grainger, seems like a good deal. Those fans run for ever. Better than my fan...

#23 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:25 PM

Dig it. That's exactly what I use, down to the plastic box with cover (the cover helps to keep the dial from getting knocked around after you find the right speed).

I would buy the "blank" one and wire it myself, but I'm comfortable with wiring.

#24 Guest_MycoGod_*

Guest_MycoGod_*

Posted 12 November 2006 - 01:02 AM

Yes, that thing looks great, I've got 2 on the way.
As for the blower, it looks like a silicone based deal. I know because I have one from that very supplier and it's already doing some damge I think. Try this: http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem
I use one for my 24x12 and it works great. They have a 600 cfm that I'm told will work for a 24x18

#25 yerbaadam

yerbaadam

SpectraL veNtriloQuist

• Expired Member
  • 782 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:38 AM

I asked the seller how different speeds are set up on these blowers and this is what he replied:
"The motors on the blowers have 3 taps on the winding that select the hp rating of the motor and of course the speed of rotation. The blowers were removed from retired heating equipment that were rated 1 IWC with all the duct work in place."
Does that mean there are three sets of wires for different speeds, or is it some kind of control?

#26 Guest_MycoGod_*

Guest_MycoGod_*

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:21 AM

That I'm not sure, but as I said I have a few of them and they are a little shoddy. One of them is all rusted and performs very poorly. The other one has worked great so far.
This blower, http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem
Or this blower, http://www.fungi.com/tools/fans.html (it's the all purpose blower). Both of these would be fine on a 24x12, and they are both brand new with warranty.
As for the 24x30, one of the Ebay ones you talked about would work, but I am just a little skeptical about them. This blower, http://www.fungi.com/tools/fans.html (FP's Universal Blower), would work well for the 24x30. This one, http://www.emeraldel...D/1806/file.htm
might work. Good luck!!

#27 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:50 AM

I asked the seller how different speeds are set up on these blowers and this is what he replied:
"The motors on the blowers have 3 taps on the winding that select the hp rating of the motor and of course the speed of rotation. The blowers were removed from retired heating equipment that were rated 1 IWC with all the duct work in place."
Does that mean there are three sets of wires for different speeds, or is it some kind of control?

That means there will be four (or five) wires coming out of the motor. Hopefully the wires will be different colors. Then you can find somebody who knows how to wire HVAC blowers to tell you what the colors mean.

You should ask the seller if there is any kind of wiring diagram on the motor's housing or if he could provide you with a basic diagram.

I can almost guarantee you that a single switch to work those five wires won't come with the blower.

#28 yerbaadam

yerbaadam

SpectraL veNtriloQuist

• Expired Member
  • 782 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 12:00 PM

Right, id imagine there's one switch, and the unit must be wired for what speed you want it on, installing a variable speed control would be work i'd have to do, and being as it's for a flowhood, there will not be any need to change the speed once it is calibrated.
I'll find out from the seller about a wiring diagram.

>> yer FriEnd, nAscaR denDriTE duDLEy

#29 sandman

sandman

Mansplainer

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,703 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2006 - 01:36 PM

Dang this is the only pic i could find of it, as its now covered by prefilters and im too lazy to remove them....

I just use it on high, i dont mess with the switch or nothin.

You know, you dont need a rheostat or anything to control the output of the blower. You can simply add more prefilters and even partialy block the prefilters to limit airflow. As long as its close to what you need and a little overpowered you will be golden! You could just hard wire the blower with no switch or anything just a power cord and just plug it in when you wanted if you wanted to.

Attached Thumbnails

• BigBags 049.jpg

#30 Guest_MycoGod_*

Guest_MycoGod_*

Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:40 PM

That's a good point

#31 sandman

sandman

Mansplainer

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,703 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2006 - 04:10 PM

yes exactly the same. its been workin good for me for a few months now.

#32 yerbaadam

yerbaadam

SpectraL veNtriloQuist

• Expired Member
  • 782 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:31 PM

I asked the seller what he uses for speed control. If he uses light dimmers and such. He replied:

"I use solid state speed controls especially made for this SPC motors. I know of previous buyers that have used dimmer switches but I am not sure how well they works. "
>> Heh heh.. sound like he needs to works on grammar.

Does this sound OK to you guys? He is offering the two that i need for $170 including shipping, and that is an excellent price.

Let me know if you guys think i should go with these blowers.
BiggEst hUGS, and thanks for all your help. >>nAscaR denDriTE duDLEy

#33 Guest_MycoGod_*

Guest_MycoGod_*

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:29 PM

That sounds alright I suppose. I am not very knowledgable in this area. Perhaps mine just was a bad one to begin with.

#34 Guest_MycoGod_*

Guest_MycoGod_*

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:43 AM

Ok, so I took both blowers to the jobsite (I am a carpenter), and had my electrician friend look at them. He took one apart and said that it is indeed a coil type dimmer, perfectly fine for this blower. I don't know if they are all done the same but it looks fine. I guess the one that was going bad wasn't because of the dimmer!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!