#1 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,032 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:32 AM

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1162222261
Like a black light poster come to life, a group of bioluminescent fungi collected from Ribeira Valley Tourist State Park near São Paulo, Brazil, emanates a soft green glow when the lights go out.
The mushrooms are part of the genus Mycena, a group that includes about 500 species worldwide. Of these only 33 are known to be bioluminescent—capable of producing light through a chemical reaction.
Since 2002 Cassius Stevani, professor of chemistry at the University of São Paulo; Dennis Desjardin, professor of mycology at San Francisco State University in California; and Marina Capelari of Brazil's Institute of Botany have discovered ten more bioluminescent fungi species—four of which are new to science—in Brazil's tropical forests.
The work, Stevani says, has increased the number of glowers known since the 1970s by 30 percent.
A species of bioluminescent fungi looks unassuming as it pokes its capped head above the mossy wood from which it grows in the tropical forests of Brazil. But at night a chemical reaction causes the fungus to emit an eerie green glow sometimes called foxfire.
The 33 Mycena species known to glow in the dark are separated into 16 lineages, San Francisco State's Desjardin says.
"Obviously the big question then arises: Did luminescence evolve 16 different times in the genus Mycena, or did it evolve only a few times and was lost hundreds of times during the course of evolution?" he said in an email to National Geographic News.
To help answer this question, Desjardin's research team has been extracting and sequencing DNA from the glowing mushrooms. They will use the data to develop a mushroom "family tree" that includes glowers and related nonglowers, a first step to determining when bioluminescence emerged in fungi.
Researcher Luis F. Mendes gazes up at a tree sporting ghostlike fungi in the forests south of São Paulo, Brazil.
Since 2002 several new species of glowing mushrooms have been found in the region, "some of the last remaining old-growth Atlantic forest habitat south of the city of São Paulo," San Francisco State's Desjardin said.
While searching for known glowing fungi in the forest, the University of São Paulo's Stevani came across an unusual specimen. He sent it to Desjardin, who identified it as Gerronema viridilucens, a species new to science and the first fungi from the genus Gerronema known to glow.
A pair of bioluminescent fungi glows in Brazil's Ribeira Valley Tourist State Park.
In addition to mushrooms, a variety of marine animals as well as select species of bacteria, insects, and annelids (earthworms) are known to be bioluminescent.
Bioluminescence creates "cold" light—emissions with low thermal radiation. An enzyme called luciferase triggers a pigment called luciferin to oxidize, and the reaction emits light.
But why the fungi evolved to glow this way remains a mystery, the University of São Paulo's Stevani says.
Stevani of the University of São Paulo leans in to collect a sample of bioluminescent fungi from the forests south of São Paulo, Brazil.
In addition to helping researchers decipher how and why mushrooms glow, Stevani is studying the bioluminescent fungi's ability to signal the presence of toxins in the soil. In the lab, his team has developed a procedure that shows that fungi emit less light when exposed to several metals and organic pollutants.
"In a near future we can use it to evaluate the toxicity of environmental samples of soil and sediments," Stevani said in an email to National Geographic News. The researcher also says that the fungi could serve as a tool for bioremediation (cleanup using living organisms) of contaminated soil.
Source

Attached Thumbnails

• RB_24-03-06_36-big.jpg
  • RB_10-04-05_33-big.jpg
  • RB_09-04-05_22-big.jpg
  • before-after.jpg
  • RB_08-04-05_19-big.jpg

#2 mrpanda

mrpanda

It is big and I am clever

• Expired Member
  • 724 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:33 AM

Soooo pretty :)

#3 roksoc

roksoc

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:33 AM

Shit. thats awesome I would love to see glowing cubes some day.

#4 aumbrellaforainydays

aumbrellaforainydays

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:20 AM

pic of the month?

#5 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:10 PM

how i would love to get a culture//

siam

#6 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,032 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:29 PM

more pics here

#7 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,032 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:44 PM

I'd love to hear more about this mushroom. I wrote the Dr. an e-mail, and sent a link to our site. It's doubtful he'd have the time or concern to visit us... but we can hope.. ;)

#8 1unar3clipse_7

1unar3clipse_7

Get high or Stoned Trying

• Expired Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:01 PM

Man I wish someone had mentioned this the last time i went to brazil, anyone think they will get prints of the species? im sure it can be artificially cultivated.. kinda want my garden to have glowing mushrooms...

#9 eternalfrost

eternalfrost

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 811 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:19 PM

heh already beat you to it...slow poke :P

http://mycotopia.net...ead.php?t=16042

#10 sesshin

sesshin

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:23 PM

this is a popular story

#11 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:23 PM

Something cool that I wanted to share, hope you like.

Like a black light poster come to life, a group of bioluminescent fungi collected from Ribeira Valley Tourist State Park near São Paulo, Brazil, emanates a soft green glow when the lights go out.

The mushrooms are part of the genus Mycena, a group that includes about 500 species worldwide. Of these only 33 are known to be bioluminescent—capable of producing light through a chemical reaction.

Since 2002 Cassius Stevani, professor of chemistry at the University of São Paulo; Dennis Desjardin, professor of mycology at San Francisco State University in California; and Marina Capelari of Brazil's Institute of Botany have discovered ten more bioluminescent fungi species—four of which are new to science—in Brazil's tropical forests.

The work, Stevani says, has increased the number of glowers known since the 1970s by 30 percen

Attached Thumbnails

• RB_10-04-05_33-big.jpg
  • before-afterglow2.jpg
  • 061026-fungi-glow_big.jpg

#12 LBM's

LBM's

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:34 PM

That is just some cool shit!!! :kewl:

#13 eternalfrost

eternalfrost

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 811 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:50 PM

heh this has already been the subject of 2 threads already. hurrah for teh internets!

#14 Doctor D

Doctor D

(Not a real doctor)

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,258 posts

Donator

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:10 PM

Cool, I love bioluminescence. I wonder though what evolutionary advantage it could possibly have for a mushroom?

My only guess is to attract predators to eat them and shat out the spores elsewhere.

#15 apokalypse

apokalypse

Dr. Durgs

• Expired Member
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:19 PM

Those are pretty awesome. Too bad there aren't any cubies that glow like that :(

#16 Mosach

Mosach

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 12:11 AM

I'd still like to grow those even if they weren't cubies.

#17 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2006 - 12:44 AM

Nice post Sharkie.

Wouldn't it be cool to line your sidewalk with bioluminescent fungi.

#18 InsidiousDecrepancy

InsidiousDecrepancy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 455 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 12:53 AM

Incredible!!! I never would have thought.... Nature continues to amaze me on a daily basis.

#19 aumbrellaforainydays

aumbrellaforainydays

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 03:32 AM

what if you crossed this mushroom with a cubensis. would you get a magical glowing cubensis?

#20 JaR

JaR

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:26 AM

Those would look so cool lining a driveway.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!