129 replies to this topic

#41 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2006 - 03:21 PM

stick to the polyfil. I will know if you use something else, and I wont be happy.I will fill your vagina with sand all night long.

#42 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 03 November 2006 - 04:50 PM

EWWW sand in the vagina!

talk about cock burn

I think tommorow will be a good day, our schedule calls for light and some fresh air.... and a reseal.. and no more darkness, the indirect light cycle begins and we wait, no misting needed.

My only quam here is not being able to easily look into thebag, the condensation inside makes it difficult to notice any bad contams that may be growing on the top layer such as cobweb... or the greens...

if tommorow dosent look good
however we may call for a delay and wait till the 7th day to kick it up a notch...

If the schedule holds correct your looking at total colinization within 6-7 days of 50 pounds of substrate....

7 more days till fruit

and 7 more days till we complete a flush...

I will say I am thusfar impressed with this method, and would recommend anyone who tries this to start smaller with 1/4th of the amount of substrate I used.

If your adventurous go for it.. and hit it up just the way my dog did :)

enjoy, im growing very impatient... like a timebomb about to burst! ;)

#43 Leary's Ghost

Leary's Ghost

wuzam.o.d

• Expired Member
  • 621 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:09 PM

I wouldnt use tyvek as it has the trait of absorbing moisture and in other threads i have spoken about tyvek wicking contams into the bag/jars.

I wouldnt use it, but i have seen people use it on there tub so who knows.. The directions above call for polyfil which is cheaper and far easier to find then tyvek..... well asside from postal tyvek but i wouldnt use potal tyvek if you paid me.....

I wouldnt see it as an improvement though...

i sort of agree w/ tyvek. anytime i have used it i use a double layer w/ spacers in between so any moisture on the inside layer is separated from the outside layer by a 1/4 inch or so of airspace. i am also not convinced that it allows much air exchange either. ever tried to suck some air through a piece? not easy.

#44 Leary's Ghost

Leary's Ghost

wuzam.o.d

• Expired Member
  • 621 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:12 PM

stick to the polyfil. I will know if you use something else, and I wont be happy.I will fill your vagina with sand all night long.

sandman, i eat sandy pussy for breakfast.

OK, the thing that has always mystified me about polyfill is how tight to pack it in. any rule of thumb? how do you tell if its too tight or too loose. the wad of polyfil that is, not the pussy.

#45 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:44 PM

sandman, i eat sandy pussy for breakfast.

OK, the thing that has always mystified me about polyfill is how tight to pack it in. any rule of thumb? how do you tell if its too tight or too loose. the wad of polyfil that is, not the pussy.

rule of thumb, i make thumb sized holes and pack the polyfil in with no gaps ....

seems to vent just fine..

#46 Leary's Ghost

Leary's Ghost

wuzam.o.d

• Expired Member
  • 621 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 04:41 AM

rule of thumb, i make thumb sized holes and pack the polyfil in with no gaps ....

seems to vent just fine..

thanks, i'll give it a shot. my large poly gusseted bags just arrived today. now i gotta go find some polyfill.

#47 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:51 PM

DAILY UPDATE
DAY 8 on the LOG and Day 6 On the BAG

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1162669873

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0461.jpg

#48 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 03:26 PM

Looking really good there!

I'd put money down, that you'll see your first pin on that log in 3-4 days.

#49 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2006 - 03:40 PM

$5 (for real) says the bag pins first, with a 1 day headstart on the log too.

#50 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 04:34 PM

Wow great looking bags there. Can't wait to see the fruit.

#51 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 04:38 PM

Well I never said anything about the bag Indi, I'm just predicting the log...but fuck it, you're on!

#52 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:39 PM

rev, i believe this bet you have is with sandman not me... :)

however I will take the bets and odds LOL to make things fair...

anyone else wanna get down on this action?

#53 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:49 PM

Hehee...sorry, I have been into the sauce...pretty much one eyeing it now :dance:

I'll take Sandman's $$

#54 Leary's Ghost

Leary's Ghost

wuzam.o.d

• Expired Member
  • 621 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:20 AM

Heres a few of mine. Note that mine are spawned with 2qts and are cow poo/coir with notably less substrate. Im thorouhgly excited to see this monster sack turn out. Cant wait bro GL.

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1162424266

just an additional clarification, please. i bought some polyfill today.

those lower polyfill plugs are not actually lower than the top level of the substrate are they? do you wait till the bag is set up and then make the hole just above the line of the substrate? it would stand to reason that CO2 being heavyer than air just runs out the bottom with gravity being the force?

if i am following this right so far, how far does the polyfil protrude into the bag? do you have to take extreme care that it doesnt come in contact with the substrate? with both the fruits growing next to and making contact with the polyfill and the condensation inside the bag, does the polyfill get damp and allow contams to wick in?

#55 Leary's Ghost

Leary's Ghost

wuzam.o.d

• Expired Member
  • 621 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:39 AM

Heres a few of mine. Note that mine are spawned with 2qts and are cow poo/coir with notably less substrate. Im thorouhgly excited to see this monster sack turn out. Cant wait bro GL.

http://mycotopia.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38123&d=1162336660

sorry, my previous post just prior was supposed to include sandman's pic also w/ indicaz pic in the same post; both of which i thought illustrated my question.

something seems to have changed in the way this site works. it used to be easy to post a reply and then cut & paste in quotes and images from multiple prior posts. i dont know about you guys but i liked that much better. i dont care much for this new change. it just makes it much harder to post a concise reply.

#56 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:41 AM

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1162424266

just an additional clarification, please. i bought some polyfill today.

those lower polyfill plugs are not actually lower than the top level of the substrate are they? do you wait till the bag is set up and then make the hole just above the line of the substrate? it would stand to reason that CO2 being heavyer than air just runs out the bottom with gravity being the force?

if i am following this right so far, how far does the polyfil protrude into the bag? do you have to take extreme care that it doesnt come in contact with the substrate? with both the fruits growing next to and making contact with the polyfill and the condensation inside the bag, does the polyfill get damp and allow contams to wick in?

Great questions, me and sandman have discussed this somewhat and the conclusion we have came to is that the substrate touching the polyfill is no harm.... however your fruits may have some polyfill you will need t pick out... no biggie

The statement you raise about C02 being heavier and running out the bottom provides good reason to run the polyfill lower...

In my bag i made the holes before i added the spawn to substarate so it wound up covering up a few holes... and the polyfill somewhat..

The polyfill does not feel damp at all and does not appear saturated or even wet...

The amount of moisture content in the bag from the day i spawned was not enough to saturate the polyfil really

According to sandman the polyfill works perfect and you dont have to worry about contams or substrate touching.... the only problem which really isnt a problem is your fruits may touch the polyfill and you may have to just pick some of it out...

#57 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:48 AM

inner view of top layer of substrate as of 24 hours ago

hard shot to take through plastic but clearly you can see vigorous agressive mycelial growth tearing up the crevices of the poop

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1162709199

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0459.jpg

#58 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:52 AM

The way I do it is to make the bag up, mix up the substrate and spawn real good, put the bag on the shelf and clip the top to the shelf above to support enough weight to pull the bag into a proper shape. Then I cut a plus sign with a scalpel about 3/4 inch big. I do them about 1" above the final resting sub level and one at about 10-12" up in the middle on one side to bring in fresh air and push the c02 out the bottom plugs. I do 2-3 each long side, 1 on each end and the 1 up high. Grab a little polyfil (the amount will take some practice, but not too much) and stuff the + sign. You want the polyfill to be kinda loose but not too loose or it will fall out easily. You do not want an excessively large blob like it is in some of my pics I have found. Its pretty wasteful.

there is a slight problem of the polyfil sticking to the fruits but its not hard to remove it. There is no problem with moisture and wicking with the polyfil IME.

A few notes about the bags:

They tend to piss, pay no attention to build up of condensation and piss. Normal.

DO NOT USE BAGGED POO. It will work, but the results arent nearly as good as cow patties/coir.

make sure you mix the substrate and the spawn real good in the bag. You can do this by practice of popping the bottom of the bag with your hand while your other hand suspends the bag.

Make sure the top of the bag is supporting some of the weight to keep a good shape.

Attached Thumbnails

• BigBags 123.jpg
  • BigBags 228.jpg

#59 Leary's Ghost

Leary's Ghost

wuzam.o.d

• Expired Member
  • 621 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:59 AM

thanks indi. that confirms what i thought i understood to be the case. i am a noobie and i ask alot of questions. when i dont, i make assumptions which usually lately results in failure. ive had 3 failures in a row since i tried to graduate to bags. ive learned alot from each one but i am growing weary of wasting syringes and the time of seeing some growth only to have to scrap the whole thing & start over.

i really like your method here. i am gonna give it a try and hope for the best. you and sandman are solid dudes.

thanks

LG

#60 Leary's Ghost

Leary's Ghost

wuzam.o.d

• Expired Member
  • 621 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:06 AM

The way I do it is to make the bag up, mix up the substrate and spawn real good, put the bag on the shelf and clip the top to the shelf above to support enough weight to pull the bag into a proper shape. Then I cut a plus sign with a scalpel about 3/4 inch big. I do them about 1" above the final resting sub level and one at about 10-12" up in the middle on one side to bring in fresh air and push the c02 out the bottom plugs. I do 2-3 each long side, 1 on each end and the 1 up high. Grab a little polyfil (the amount will take some practice, but not too much) and stuff the + sign. You want the polyfill to be kinda loose but not too loose or it will fall out easily. You do not want an excessively large blob like it is in some of my pics I have found. Its pretty wasteful.

there is a slight problem of the polyfil sticking to the fruits but its not hard to remove it. There is no problem with moisture and wicking with the polyfil IME.

A few notes about the bags:

They tend to piss, pay no attention to build up of condensation and piss. Normal.

DO NOT USE BAGGED POO. It will work, but the results arent nearly as good as cow patties/coir.

make sure you mix the substrate and the spawn real good in the bag. You can do this by practice of popping the bottom of the bag with your hand while your other hand suspends the bag.

Make sure the top of the bag is supporting some of the weight to keep a good shape.

thanks for all that detail, sandman. it really helps. i may just succeed with bags yet. your tips are great too.

LG

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!