• 40,642 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 08:59 AM

i'd chop it off ASAP
peroxide is pretty ineffective on trich

#82 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:17 AM

removed the log to another area....

upon further inspection a 3-4inch by 10 inch diameter section appears to be overun with trichoderma/green...

It hasnt turned green yet but you can easily pick out the trichs mycelium from the healthy stuff...

Log has been removed to shelf in seperate room, injected with bleach solution... exposed to natural sunlight as ive had some good results in past when exposing molds to natural light. Will neglect and see where this goes... im not expecting much and at this point and am thinking of writing off straw for good... In the past ive had luck with straw however i have almost encountered the green with straw at some point in time everytime.. Maybe I will move on to just poop/coir as it seems to be working quite well

:( sad day for me

i hate losing all that hard work

#83 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:52 AM

That's a shame Indicaz,,Straw does seem to be more risky than most other
bulk choices...heavy spawning is proly the best defence...At least the bag is lookin good...

#84 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:12 AM

even rodger gave up on straw logs eventually, same problem = trich
the plastic wrapper just doesn't allow enough air circulation, imo.

with winter fast approaching in the northern hemisphere
should get a few low contam-load months coming our way.

#85 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 08:39 PM

If it were me, I'd cut that log in half and dispose of the contamed half. It will still be a huge log.

How was the straw pasteurized?

#86 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:44 AM

funny yesterday i tried injecting a part of the patch of trich with a bleach solution.... loosely following all of hips bleach stuff which by the way is referenced everywhere on the net.

today not a thing lives in the area I injected.... it appears the green has dissapeared in that area....

anyways the log is isolated totally, today i will cut 2 halves and bleach dunk both seperately.... I will also re bag both halves in new tubing and poke new holes, and will hope for a recovery... if not the poo is doing awesome

ok just some interesting stuff i found while searching for info on straw and trichoderma

Studies were carried out on hay and straw to establish the composition of mycoflora in them. They were sampled both at the time of harvesting and after storing for four to five months. It was found that the hay and straw were most often inseminated with spores of the fungus species Alternaria tenuis, Aspergillus fumigatus, Mucor hiemalis, Penicillium sp., and more rarely with spores of Fusarium, Chaetomium, Scopulariopsis, Cladosporium, Trichoderma, and Stachybotrys alternans. It was demonstrated that when moistening of the feeds set in the period of taking in or in storage the mycoflora increased both in species composition and in extent of insemination. The presence of Alternaria tenuis was mostly demonstrated (up to 85 per cent) for hay, and (up to 100 per cent) for straw.

http://www.medscape....bstract/3739224

now granted im not saying poo is cleaner however could it be the fact that since poo is in essence a bio-waste while straw is a raw substrate.... that poo for some reason is less likely to contam to something like the greens then something like straw hip?

also another question i have is why does bleach kill trich and other contams so effectively however mycelium can surpass this and actually thrive?

I have been reading where bleach actually has been shown in cases to trigger massive pinning?

ok so heres the plan

I cut the log into 2 halves
and threw em in a garbage bag, as i was on my way to the compost pile a revelation came to me, if im writing it off... lets go out with a bang..

so there back inside with a garbage bag around em... im going to fill my bin up with a bleach solution prolly somewhere around a 1-2% bleach solution in a bin filled with tap water...

im going to dunk these suckers for 24 hours..... in the coldest spot i can find..... which will be outdoors...

they will be exposed to 30 degree weather overnight....

tommorow i will bring them in and drain the two halves

i am then thinking of placing the 2 halves into a big bag such as the one im using for the dung.... standing on end...

I will post some pics of this experiment, and i hope something can be learned from all this work... Ive never had problems with straw in the past asside from contams after the first good flush... this wasnt a problem as fruits were still grown. However this hasnt even gotten that far and it is distressing :)

#87 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:14 AM

funny yesterday i tried injecting a part of the patch of trich with a bleach solution.... loosely following all of hips bleach stuff which by the way is referenced everywhere on the net.

today not a thing lives in the area I injected.... it appears the green has dissapeared in that area....

nice to know word is spreading about bleach,
i was pilloried** mercilessly when i first developed that tek-
denounced far and wide by the old school purists for daring
to fight contams instead of just tossing it all out .
btw
don't assume the trich is actually all gone yet
bleach actually 'bleaches'[removes] the color out of trich
like it does clothing.
i've seen it turn straw white.

pillory |ˈpilərē| historical noun ( pl. -ries) a wooden framework with holes for the head and hands, in which an offender was imprisoned and exposed to public abuse.

pillory
verb ( -ries, -ried) [ trans. ] put (someone) in the pillory. • figurative attack or ridicule publicly : he found himself pilloried by members of his own party. ORIGIN Middle English : from Old French pilori, probably from Proven├žal espilori (associated by some with a Catalan word meaning ‘peephole,’ of uncertain origin).

#88 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:32 AM

now granted im not saying poo is cleaner however could it be the fact that since poo is in essence a bio-waste while straw is a raw substrate.... that poo for some reason is less likely to contam to something like the greens then something like straw hip?

also another question i have is why does bleach kill trich and other contams so effectively however Mycelium can surpass this and actually thrive?

I have been reading where bleach actually has been shown in cases to trigger massive pinning?

i may be wrong on this but my guess it that trich does well on straw because it's mostly cellulose, like wood,
and outdoors in the wild trich is often found growing on wood, decaying wood more specifically.

as for the why's on mycellia handling low concentrations of bleach that would kill other low-order lifeforms =
mycellia is a more highly evolved lifeform and has a mechanism that allows it to break down and render the bleach harmless to itself,
much the same way it handles peroxide.

on the oddity of bleach sometimes triggering massive pinsets
as well as truly massive shrooms
that is true, i've seen it myself
but only a few times as it does not happen often
nor with any reliabilty.
still can't really figure it out exactly why that is so,
whatever is going on is very subtle and complex
almost as if there might be some 'magic' concentration/dosage
that will do it
but it must be so precise that one rarely gets it right
with our crude methods.

#89 Leary's Ghost

Leary's Ghost

wuzam.o.d

• Expired Member
  • 621 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:39 AM

In the past ive had luck with straw however i have almost encountered the green with straw at some point in time everytime.. Maybe I will move on to just poop/coir as it seems to be working quite well

:( sad day for me

i hate losing all that hard work

i just mixed up a bunch of substrate w/ coir, straw, verm, worm poo & lime & calcium carbonate. i water bath pasturize @ 160 - 170. think i am gonna regret puttin any straw in there? may be about 30-40% straw. should i add a little bleach before i past? right now its soaking in r.o. water hydrating.

BTW, i love all you guys and this site. personally, i havent felt offended yet on mycotopia. cool peeps here.
:hugs:
LG

#90 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:40 AM

personally, i havent felt offended yet on mycotopia.

damn, i must be slipping
;)

#91 StroFun

StroFun

Master Baiter

• Expired Member
  • 501 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 09:44 AM

Indi show me your poop already!

Indi show me your poop already!

#92 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:14 PM

sorry for the delay peeps,

im going through a really hard time at the moment, some financial crisis type of thing so I had to concentrate on that for the moment. I also needed to be patient and some days away from the fully colonized bag that wouldnt pin was giving me a nerve ache :)

However patience is a virtue and I owe it all too patience and poking a bunch of more holes in the bag, it seemed much needed fresh air induced a serious pin set...

Once I saw this pinset i was convinced additional air was needed for this large amount of colonized substrate so I decieded to cut the top of the bag open...... This helped in my case greatly as it seemed the colonized substrate was VERY WET.... droplets of water were everywhere!!! it looked like a diamond forest with mountains of snow.... trul;y beautiful...

ok so here a preliminary photo when i get time i will add the rest...

mind you this is the first flush!

temps were between 65F at night and 74-75 F during the light cycle/day
obviously the RH is high... no way of measuring however id say upwards of 95%

I think next time I will squeeze out alot of the extra moisture, and go with a dryer mix...
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1163707922

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0522.jpg

#93 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 06:41 PM

they look good enough
:cool:

#94 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 16 November 2006 - 07:00 PM

they look good enough
:cool:

we will see tommorow how much more the pin set fills out, i see literally hundreds of pins forming on the surface, i should take an overhead shot....

im impressed so far however i will be more impressed once I tally up them dry weights and see some nice mature fruits.

#95 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:13 PM

I think your gonna be happy with them-uns Indicaz ...great pinset..!

#96 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:20 AM

u know my dog and how he likes to post pics every 5 minutes lol

well heres the above pins about 24 hours later

overhead shot inside bag

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1163773141

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1163773141

I wanna add here that the perspective we are looking at makes this look kinda small.... however you are looking at a 1 foot wide by 2 foot long area........

peace,

indi

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0527.jpg
  • 100_0528.jpg

#97 arezap

arezap

Underfunded evil genius

• Expired Member
  • 593 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:24 AM

:headbang: :kewl:

#98 StroFun

StroFun

Master Baiter

• Expired Member
  • 501 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:10 AM

in the words of a famous man "Skeet, skeet, skeet, SKEET!"

#99 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:14 AM

when i think of skeet i think of

ejaculating

LOL

#100 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:09 PM

So who owes who five bucks, thats what i want to know.

Also what was the strain here?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!