Fisana

- - - - -

Can Myc eat trich ?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Poo_*

Guest_Poo_*

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:27 AM

I was wondering if anyone out there has ever seen aggressive mych colonize over a trich contam ? It looks like FOAF has a jar of WBS that has a small Trich contam but the myc seems to be eating it quickly. Is this normal ?

#2 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,598 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:38 AM

I've never seen it before... Your friend is a lucky guy/gal if that's really the case. Did FOAF isolate the infected whatnot away from the rest of the babies?

#3 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:55 AM

I have seen it happen on a few different occasions...
although not common.... if the triich dosent get a good enough foothold... and the mycelium has more of a major foothold , it is possible for mycelium to take over the trich....

this isnt typical and you have a very small chance of this happening

#4 Guest_Poo_*

Guest_Poo_*

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:03 AM

Here are a few pics. The contam spot has been shrinking every day by about 10% it is colonizing markedly slower than other jars from the same run. They were innoc. with a commercial multi-spore texas syringe that had turned to a LC before FOAF could use it. FOAF has isololated the jar pretty well.:confused:

Attached Thumbnails

• wbscontam3.JPG
  • wbscontam2.JPG
  • wbscontam1.JPG

#5 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:12 AM

interesting... like i said ive seen it happen so its not impossible...

mycelium and contams will compete until someone wins

#6 Guest_Poo_*

Guest_Poo_*

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:15 AM

Indicaz : thanks for your comments, awesome thread on the bulk Hpoo bags !! FOAF also loved your idea for waterproof bandaid tops and is now using them on all his lids, you are a inspiration. :dance:

#7 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:17 AM

from experience the trich will most likely take hold the substrate, if you going to try it.. carefully leave the infected area alone. also i had jars that looked like yours but when i went to break up the spawn the whole center were filled with fresh greens

siam

#8 Guest_Poo_*

Guest_Poo_*

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:22 AM

FOAF will definatley not case the jar unless the trich gets 100% colonized. The contam spot is about 1/3 the size it was two days ago.

#9 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:26 AM

more lurks below the visible surface, trich burrows like cancer

#10 Guest_Poo_*

Guest_Poo_*

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:28 AM

Funny you should say that, FOAF totally F*cked up a run of PF pints, they all stalled and but didn't show any green, until they were opened up and the whole center was dry green trich spores. live and learn........

one more question ? If you PC PF cakes to long and they get a brownish tinge are they ruined or will they still colonize ?

#11 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:40 AM

usually we start all over, no use waiting what the uncertian out come will be,,,waste alot of time if nothing happens.. eh?,

siam

#12 Guest_indicaz_*

Guest_indicaz_*

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:40 AM

absolutley dont use that jar for anything but fruiting inside that jar

i would isolate that jar if it colonizes 100% and fruit far from area...

i might even toss it..

like i said it could happen but its not likely

the center could be contamed as they said...

better off be safe then sorry

and hey thanks for the comments im glad i inspire somebody!

#13 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:39 AM

*place entire jar in a bag.....tie the bag.....and take it outside.......to the trash....

do not open or attempt to fruit...........as doing so will simply release billions of trich spores......

---the mycelium will not beat the trich

#14 Guest_CoyoteMesc_*

Guest_CoyoteMesc_*

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:42 PM

Based on Python's post I guess the jar a foaf had awhile back with green in it, it wasn't trich.
'cause although it took a month for the mycel to cover the quarter sized contam, it did cover it. Strain was Creeper.

#15 Guest_Poo_*

Guest_Poo_*

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:57 PM

Wow !!! differing opinions :greenboun everyone loves a controversy so... FOAF will quarentine the jar and see if the mych wins... if it does ...a small neglect casing to see what's what. Is it possible that, over time, a genetic mutation may happen that would enable myc to consistently beat trich ? Do you think you could isolate the trait easily ?

#16 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:16 PM

the green no matter, it will still be there waiting for the opputunity to recolonize and then you will have a hella mess to clean up.. imo toss it...if you have greens spore air borne..it's every where. and you will have fail grow after grow from the same situation..
now as my favorite star once said.."so do you feel lucky?..do ya?"

siam

#17 Guest_CoyoteMesc_*

Guest_CoyoteMesc_*

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:58 PM

even if it does, highly unlikely, dont open that jar in the house/indoors.

Siam is right, you'll have a hella mess, trich spores everywhere.

The jar that I spoke of never got opened indoors, it went to the yard.

#18 srgtm1a

srgtm1a

yeah, yeah, you know.

• Expired Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:43 AM

every time you see green, it is futile to try and fight it. Mycelium can, and sometimes does, grow over trich. It never kills it though. These are the cases where you will see a cake, or grain, that is fully colonized, looks great on the outside, but when you break it open, it's all green.

Trash can tek. Trying to save one jar is not worth the chance of messing up future grows.

#19 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:10 AM

Wow !!! differing opinions :greenboun everyone loves a controversy so... FOAF will quarentine the jar and see if the mych wins... if it does ...a small neglect casing to see what's what. Is it possible that, over time, a genetic mutation may happen that would enable myc to consistently beat trich ? Do you think you could isolate the trait easily ?

absolutely not.

Because of its chitinases, Trichoderma can be a parasite of other fungi. Remember that the cell walls of fungi are primarily composed of chitin, a polymer of n-acetyl-glucosamine. (Can you name the other major group of organisms that contain chitin?)[ crustaceans ;) ] In nature one can often find Trichoderma parasitizing the fruiting bodies and mycelia of other fungi, such as the fruiting body of Hydnochaete to the left. Trichoderma is a particular problem in the mushroom cultivation industry, where it can parasitize the Mycelium and fruiting bodies of the fungus. This is known as green mold disease of mushrooms. When the mushroom is parasitized, it develops a green mold over the surface, making the mushroom ugly and deformed. When the Mycelium is parasitized, the ability of the cultivated mushroom to grow is severely compromised because the mold saps it strength, benefiting from the hard work of the mushroom's exoenzymes to degrade the substrate . See this link at Penn State for more information on this disease and its impact on the mushroom industry.

see>> http://mycotopia.net...ead.php?t=10237

#20 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:27 AM

. . .

food chain

n.

1. A succession of organisms in an ecological community that constitutes a continuation of food energy from one organism to another as each consumes a lower member and in turn is preyed upon by a higher member.

so again, the answer to your question is no. well, not in nature at least, as it would disrupt the natural balance :meditate:

archive material to Contamination & Pests/Bugs :evil:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!