• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Disruptor

Disruptor

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:23 PM

I haven't read enough about what pH mushrooms like, but Stamets writes that trich prefers pH in the 5's. You could help prevent trich from growing too fast by starting with a higher pH in your substrate, if it's okay with the shrooms, of course. Stamets writes salt, baking soda or bleach sprays will help. Maybe a sodium bicarb dunk would do the trich.

#22 Guest_Poo_*

Guest_Poo_*

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:51 PM

always learning, learning, learning, experimenting, testing, recalibrating, more experimenting, lots of usefull information here. The trich continues to shrink in the jar. When it's 100% colonized FOAF will take it out back and open it up to see what's what. Thanks for all your help !!!

#23 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:27 AM

any progress yet poo?

siam

#24 BigStemz

BigStemz

prophet of peace

• Expired Member
  • 596 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 10:39 AM

*place entire jar in a bag.....tie the bag.....and take it outside.......to the trash....

do not open or attempt to fruit...........as doing so will simply release billions of trich spores......

---the Mycelium will not beat the trich
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

i hope by trash he means compost pile or hole in the ground, NEVER THROW AWAY LIVE MYCELIUM INTO TRASH CANS!!!!

#25 Guest_Poo_*

Guest_Poo_*

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:25 PM

Little progress as of yet, there is still about 20% of the original green contaminant left to colonise, it's slow going, paitence, or maybe the mych will just stop growing, we will see.

if it does colonize I will spawn 1:1 in a small container. Can't let it fruit on it's own because WBS won't fruit invitro for me.

#26 Guest_Poo_*

Guest_Poo_*

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:04 AM

It looks like the mych had stopped it's over growth of the trich. Bieng a curious sort, FOAF took the jar to another friends house and opened it. Welp, other than the small spot on the side of the jar (20% the size of original picture) there was no other trich. The WBS was heavily colonized, tons and tons of nice white growth. So, FOAF scopped out the good mych with a spoon and was careful to leave the infected area alone. Then, he layed down a layer of equal parts coir,verm,pasterurized composted dehydrated cow poo for organic farming. ( the sub mix was left over from a failed superspawning attempt ) On top of that he layed the wbs spawn. More poo, verm, coir mix. More spawn, final poo,coir,verm mix on top. All this was done into a small rubbermade container lined with a trash bag. Trash bag was folded over to cover the sub and help with incubation.

FOAF knows very little about mycology. I'm sure people will fortell the impending doom and point out my shoddy quality control of the product.

However, it seems silly to me to throw out materials that might still be viable. :eusa_shif

Sadly, FOAF has very little spawn to play with because of failures due to contamination, FOAF currently has a 80% contam rate. This has been due to mostly bacteria and some trich. In fact, FOAF has yet to make a successfull homemade print, syringe, spawn run. The only success he has had in bieng self sufficent is making PF jars, WBS jars and casings. :puke:

He hopes to up his odds with the addition of a $3 cardboard glove box. :headbang:

#27 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:31 AM

your friend keeps tinkering with the trich trying to save the grow is no wonder why your friend has 80% contam rate. just take a few contam grains to be expose to a tinny flow or air amd you'll have millions of spores flying around for many meters in radius. hope for the best tho but still not out of the woods from the casting....please keep us inform...no matter how much we oppose...hehe

siam

#28 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 06:17 PM

exactly as siam said!

you need to bleach bomb everything in the area friend.....and i mean everything.....

and dont be walking into the grow area with clothes unless they are freshly washed and uunless you are freshly showered..... Tyvek coveralls are a great tool IMO.......and dont be breathing on, or handling your subs.....

If you see trich again......try following what i said to do in my previous post..........and never try to save a jar, bag, or sub that has some trich----i do not care if it is a mm section.......just toss it following the method i mentioned above........

these things will reduce your problems w/ trich......

#29 Guest_Poo_*

Guest_Poo_*

Posted 02 December 2006 - 11:01 PM

FOAF rspects both of your opinions and realizes that you mods have more pounds grown under your belt than he could dream about. Now that the proper asses are kissed, FOAF has nothing to lose trying this experiment only things to gain. FOAF will chuck the bulk sub at first sign of trich. However, It was just laying around not doing anything so WTF ? why not ? worst case, the sealed tub gets trich and gets tossed, best case it produces some gnarly fruit. FOAF would be happy with any of those outcomes, and probably will probably try it again.

FOAF is a slob mostly, so developing his own personal tek that incorperates his slobyness with love of growing shrooms is a challenge. He is currently looking for the perfect melding of TEKs.

FOAF has had success making his own jars and innoc. them with multi-spore syringe from the good spore. Just no luck making syringes. As soon as he gets down the print, syringe, spawn cycle down on his own terms it'll be a brand new day. It looks like with the addition of a $3 cardboard glove box and updated printing technique he may be having some success. FOAF has white growth in WBS quarts just not 100% colonization, yet. As soon as he gets 100% colonization we will have a party. :headbang:

In the end, it looks like you can't beat trich, but, you shouldn't run away from it like school girl niether. FOAF is tripping so he's going to go out on the deck and smoke a bowl and appreciate bieng at one with beauty, nuff said.

#30 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:01 PM

so are you saying your experiment went tits up?

siam

#31 Guest_Poo_*

Guest_Poo_*

Posted 03 December 2006 - 08:04 PM

tits are nice.

Umm. the experiment was discontinued. FOAF was sick of looking at it. FOAF cracked the jar and found that the trich was only about the size of a quarter. FOAF was out of spawn so he spawned to a little poo, coir, verm, and cased the uninfected portion, added some h2o2 w/h2o to the mix.

The mych did not eat the trich. :thumbdown:

#32 meatwad

meatwad

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 09:29 PM

my foaf is gonna take a stab at saving a pf cake in a couple days for fun..

my foaf has one pf cake almost fully conlonized, with a tiny spot at the top of green..

Gonna take it out, cut off the green, and bleach dunk. Then put back in and try to fruit invitro.

foaf is gonna do all the work outside in the shed to avoid contams in the house.

#33 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 10:20 PM

another hard head...lol, just make sure you have that out of any areas that you will be working in the future. and follow with python suggestion on cleansiness

siam

#34 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:28 AM

I replyed to a pm from poo yesterday.

However, while i think that the methods I suggest r best; and while we all know fucking with trich is a definate no-no

Poo understands too, i think.

I can now understand POO's hard head.......As nothing substitutes for experience....and i guess he justs want to experience it for himself....no matter the reprecautions.....

which he is more than entitled to do....and i wish him luck......

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!