• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 zook

zook

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:02 AM

how 'tender' should the popcorn be after its cooked/rinsed (b4 pc'ing) ?

and i suppose noone knows how tender it is after pc'ing because i cant imagine someone contaminating their popcorn with their fingers after they have just finished sterilizing it.. but im still curious, maybe someone has experience with pc'ing popcorn in a mycobag and has felt the popcorn through the outside of the bag? -thanks

#2 nihil_lihin

nihil_lihin

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:17 AM

don't know what kind of PC you use
but here is what i do,
Popcorn is the only method i use to grow fungi,
i guess my shower curtain probably is another,
but anyway,

pour 4-8 lbs of popcorn into a 30qt PC

cover w/ H2O - 3" or so above the popcorn,

PC @ 15PSI for 1 hr,

rinse like a sonamabitch,

dry if you want, (i DONT, just shake real good after the rinse)

load into QT jars,

PC @ 15 PSI for 1-2 HR (depending on how clean you are to begin with)

there you got jars ready for LC, AGAR, G2G, whatever you dig, you dig?

i will note this, many many folk don't think it is wise to put grains or the like of any kind into the PC alone. i use an All American and the book that came with it says don't do it. so make sure your not a dumb ass. i use mine to rehydrate dried garbonzos for humus, all other beans for chili, i make rice, and do popcorn for our hobby so just be cautious with the PC is what i mean.

-nihil

#3 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:54 AM

cook till "al dente"
you want it to where you can bite threw it pretty easily but before the kernal shell breaks..
hippie gave me a pretty good method that i used when i was using popcorn.. pour the dry popcorn into the pc and cover with 2-3 inches of water, then just PC @ 15psi for 20 minutes.. pour it into a strainer and rinse really well.. then pat dry with a towel.. then load the jars and PC for 90 minutes. doing it that way worked very well for me. if your paranoid about it you can add a tbsp of dry verm to help soak up any excess moisture.
lost

#4 zook

zook

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:59 AM

what prevents the popcorn from 'popping'? is it the fact that they are effectively 'cooked' in boiling water first?

its a little bit of a curiosity to me because as i understand it, moisture inherit in the kernel when heated expands and cause the kernel to 'pop'.. and it would seem that pc'ing/boiling/cooking the popcorn in water would only increase the kernels water content.. any idea whats going on there? thanks

#5 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 03:00 AM

after the 24 hours soak i boil the popcorn, and turn of the heat and let it sit for 10 -20 minute in the hot water, it will swell up and usually i can bite into it and it goes threw..then rinse and put in your jars and pc///
also when you soak your popcorn with 2Tbsp bleach to 1 gallon h20 for the 24 hours it will help cut down on contams...rinse good before you boil

siam

#6 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 03 November 2006 - 03:10 AM

popcorn can swell to about 175% it's dry size befoer the kernal burst.. that is what your aiming for.
it won't hurt for a few of them to burt but you don't want all of them to get that saturated. of course you can always add a bit of dry verm to help soak up the extra moisture in the jars. popcorn can be tricky till you get the hang of it.
lost

#7 zook

zook

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 03:16 AM

now i have it figured out..

cooking/pcing the popcorn as the first step softens the kernel and the outer shell. The soft shell prevents the buildup of steam pressure from inside the kernel (ie they would sooner 'rupture' before they would ever 'pop'). thanks for all the input, i'll post updates

#8 Leary's Ghost

Leary's Ghost

wuzam.o.d

• Expired Member
  • 621 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 03:38 AM

Popcorn is the only method i use to grow fungi

why do you prefer popcorn over millet and/or WBS? i have had luck w/ millet in jars, but three failures in a row w/ my try at mycrobags. maybe i would have better luck w/ popcorn? what are the advantages IYO?

there you got jars ready for LC, AGAR, G2G, whatever you dig, you dig?

i can dig it man. i dig multispore syringe inoculation. would that work OK?

thanks for sharing your knowledge.

#9 malefacter

malefacter

:P

• Expired Member
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:47 AM

iv had good results with just boiling it for 20 min rinse than towel drying jarring and pc for 60 min

it dont need to be all that tender on the inside its the outside of the corn wer concerned with thats what we want to colonies

#10 nihil_lihin

nihil_lihin

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 12:58 PM

two reasons really...

it's cheap, 2 lbs for 1.39, if you get it from a wholesale type place
it's even cheaper.

it's readily available, so i don't have to make trips to the same place,
i suppose one could argue so is WBS, but i would only use white/red proso millet if i were doing that type of grain. just a prefference, and those are only available in my area by the 50 lb sack at certain feed stores. i will admit when i did play with those grains, i found it easier to break up WBS and other grains like rye than is popcorn, however, when doing G2G i just use a PC'd spoon or butter knife to cut wedges in my qts that colonize too strongly. in the event i can cut wedges, i just layer them in my trays prior to casing (pure verm). if the popcorn breaks up great, but have never had a problem if i let a jar go a few weeks long.

here's a recent flush. sorry that it's blurry, but i was lazy and took the picture through the plastic siding to the greenhouse.

2_trays_PC.JPG

#11 nihil_lihin

nihil_lihin

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 11:04 PM

ah i forgot to answer the question about the multispore inocculation.

Of course that will work,

In fact of the three strains i play with, Hawaiian, GT, and Ecuadorian, all started w/ multispore in popcorn. i have since isolated the best (in my opinion) mycelium on agar. i now don't regularly do multispore, but i have been trying to combine spore prints of all three to see if any freak reporduction might occur. i do this by making a spore syringe with a few shakes of three prints (one of each strain).

-nihil

#12 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,776 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2006 - 11:27 PM

Someday I'll try popcorn, but I've used cracked corn with great success, believe it or not. $8 for a 50 lb sack.
I soak overnight, drain, rinse, add fresh water, and simmer it until the very conspicuous slime layer appears (about 20-30 minutes), then pour into a large milk crate lined with window screen. I add some Dawn dishsoap and blast it with the garden hose, stirring with my hand after it's cooled by the hose, until the slime is gone. Then I let it drain a few mintues and toss in some hydrogel to suck up the extra water (to be released later during fruiting, I hope). Then it goes into bags or jars and off we go.
Lately I've been doing this with WBS as my local cracked corn has had too many weevils in it for my taste, but I keep checking back for a better lot. I don't like grain that's full of bugs.

#13 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:11 AM

Cracked/feed corn can be very effective, just make certain to rinse it thoroughly.

If your corn (popcorn or cracked corn) feels "sticky" it will make a very poor spawn.

Popcorn prep: http://mycotopia.net...497&postcount=3 (EarthJuice is OPTIONAL).

#14 Leary's Ghost

Leary's Ghost

wuzam.o.d

• Expired Member
  • 621 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 04:32 AM

two reasons really...

it's cheap, 2 lbs for 1.39, if you get it from a wholesale type place
it's even cheaper.

it's readily available, so i don't have to make trips to the same place,
i suppose one could argue so is WBS, but i would only use white/red proso millet if i were doing that type of grain. just a prefference, and those are only available in my area by the 50 lb sack at certain feed stores. i will admit when i did play with those grains, i found it easier to break up WBS and other grains like rye than is popcorn, however, when doing G2G i just use a PC'd spoon or butter knife to cut wedges in my qts that colonize too strongly. in the event i can cut wedges, i just layer them in my trays prior to casing (pure verm). if the popcorn breaks up great, but have never had a problem if i let a jar go a few weeks long.

here's a recent flush. sorry that it's blurry, but i was lazy and took the picture through the plastic siding to the greenhouse.

2_trays_PC.JPG

thanks, that is great info and reasurring. i just bought a big bag of WBS (no sunflower seeds or cracked corn) so i am gonna give that a try. ive been failing w/ straight millet; but i think i overcooked it, didn't rinse at all, then PC'd to short a time and had lousy air exchange. i am gonna modify my next attempt considerably, especially with adding a bleach soak and better rinsing. i ran outta syringes though. hoping more come soon.

thanks for the info.

peeps here are really cool!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!