• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#21 Leary's Ghost

Leary's Ghost

wuzam.o.d

• Expired Member
  • 621 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:58 PM

Golly I would think you would get mushy on sides and bottom... thats why I am still using these trays...

I get 3-4 flushes and really watch out for stuff on the sides and don't want to dig stuff out between flushs.

The black paint idea seems like it would still let light in.

yea, those are the bakeing trays i was talkin about. certainly much more convienient. biggest problem w/ the paint, besides being a pain in the ass, is that it scratches easy letting pinholes of light in.

the bakeware is far superior, i agree.

#22 Leary's Ghost

Leary's Ghost

wuzam.o.d

• Expired Member
  • 621 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:06 PM

First, these trays have drainage holes so i dont have to be all cautious with the amount of watering. The excess drains out...

i have often wondered if that would be a good idea but i never got around to posting the question. thanks for the info!

#23 MrMicroscopy

MrMicroscopy

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:25 PM

First, these trays have drainage holes so i dont have to be all cautious with the amount of watering. The excess drains out...

i have often wondered if that would be a good idea but i never got around to posting the question. thanks for the info!

Good Golly! Great Grows!
i was also wondering about the drainage holes.
what kind of FC did those trays go into after the lids came off?
:cool:

#24 InsidiousDecrepancy

InsidiousDecrepancy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 455 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:35 PM

Is it because the water may be a few degrees different in a spray bottle that shocks them a little that makes them abort?

You may be on to somthing there, very possible.

Fantastic looking flush btw golly!!! Great work.

#25 yerbaadam

yerbaadam

SpectraL veNtriloQuist

• Expired Member
  • 782 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:44 PM

Lemee just butt in here for a sec with My 2 nOnsENce...

These containers are nice. Foaf is partial to some slightly larger salad bins. Here's the scoop though. These light platics can not take very thorough steralization, that's there downside. The upside is being able to see inside of them through the clear plastic. That's why foaf never paints the bins. He lets them incubate regularly, so he can see the mycelium, and then, when it's time to expose some light, he simple uses duct or electric tape to block the light from hitting undesired portions.

Big hUgs>> n d dUDley

#26 drumdidly

drumdidly

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:16 PM

hey golly - you say drainage holes, how many are you talking?
and for that SA with horse poo casing- what was your method?
im about to do some SA's with hip's mycro poo and was wonder if you had any more tips/tricks
off topic question - just curious, in that pic of the SA's, is that a vita prep in the background? haha

#27 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,031 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:28 PM

Golly if you like those, you should try the GLAD oven ware ones. They already come black, don't let light penetrate... dishwasher safe, oven safe, and microwave safe, freezer safe... all that shit.

I ordered a case from the grocery store once and told them it was for a local food business, we use them for all kinds of shit around the house too... i sure love em.

#28 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:42 PM

There's a hole in each corner of the tray...Even though they are rated for pressure cooking - i never use em for that, so they'll last for many grow cycles.

The larger the tray size- the more carefull u have to be with the watering as it's easy to oversaturate a bigger sub, even with good drainage..

That is a Vitamix blender in the pic..turns grain into flour in seconds..me like...:)
My guess with spraying is that the force of the droplets damages tender growth....I routinely flood primordia with no ill effect ,using only distilled H2o..

#29 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:48 PM

Hey SF...I really like the clear ones now because i'm a nosey ol'e fart and
like to see whats cookin down below...heh...

#30 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,780 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:33 PM

pretty sick golly. :) nice job brooder.

fahtster

#31 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 06 November 2006 - 01:04 PM

super pinsets golly! and multispore! :eusa_clap

SWIM uses these for cubensis, but his are rectangular and deeper
(have u ever tried the deeper kind? i havent compared the two myself)
i think the ones SWIM uses are quart capacity or so but they are amazing.
he too never bothers to wrap them :teeth: thx for the tips & for sharin the cool pix! :bow:

#32 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,740 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2006 - 04:49 PM

Yeah, damn, from multispore!? That is real nice, golly! Can't beleive I'm just seeing this! I dig the water bottle too...going to try that.

#33 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 8,049 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:47 PM

In regards to misting pins... I agree some sort of "shock" occurs, maybe temp diff or maybe the fact that some use tap water and it contains chlorine. I agree with Golly they love the water but they must drain well... holes in the bottom are a good thing.

Regarding the plastic cooking wares... most folk look for them in the tupperware section and never find them because most places put them in the baking pan section along with the alum pans and trays.
I like them because they are so durable and I have been re-useing them for years even after they microwave of verm and othe casing material. They are good for cookin shit and well yall know I am into shit!

#34 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:02 PM

Yeah Cap, I have used the Qt ziplock containers...They were colo'd then popped out and fruited as cakes, shown below...I think i get about the same amount of harvest with the smaller trays, although i've never fruited them in the tubs - so that may work bettah....

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0722.jpg

#35 merk

merk

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:49 AM

Golly, how do the yields of this method compare to other methods such as invitro? How does the difficulty compare?

#36 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:23 AM

I guess nothing is easier than invitro, , but as far as yield goes - the mini tray is my most productive method yet ..That is, when comparing the amount of substrate to harvest ratio...

#37 mister

mister

Dragon Slayer/Savior

• Expired Member
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 03:04 PM

What fruiting chamber was used for these?

#38 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 05:30 PM

I converted a 55gal aquarium as a FC.....A plain ole plastic tub works just as well though...

#39 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:14 PM

it's fairly well established phenomenon that cubensis increases it's efficiency on smaller substrate masses,
as if compensating for less food with better utilization.
ounce for ounce small 'cakes' just out-perform huge bulk set-ups,
although the eye seems to say differently
the numbers don't lie.

#40 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 10:03 AM

Hey Golly, did you just have the lids cracked a bit while the sub was colonizing or were the holes in the bottom enough for it to breath?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!