• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wayback

wayback

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 01:31 PM

After the many summer contam diasters, I recently put together two boxes of bird seed, straw, and worm castings. Everything was going fine until I got a sore throat and flu like symptoms. Since the symptons coincided with the apperance of the green meanies, and the temprature should be more conducive to less contams, I would like to know if getting sick has the potential to pass on more contams to your project.
Also, I tried like hell to control my coughing around the boxes as I understood the meanies are mostly passed on by people and pet exposure. Can the flu be passed on as such? And does the air one expell during sickness contain more harmfull bacteria to the shrooms than normal. Or am I just one paranoid mo-fo after my summer snafu's?

#2 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 8,085 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2005 - 02:09 PM

I think your concerns are just... what do you think the Doc does with a throat culture?
Coughing stuff around under the right conditions can definately create contams.

#3 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 05:26 PM

i would assume that coughing on any of your grows cant be good for them, even if your not sick. the mouth is full of bateria and all that great stuff.

ive known a few people to get sore throats emptying contamed jars and such. so it does happen. but your still here and thats great! :) this is why when i have a contam i just toss the whole jar unopened. i dont waste my time with the 1.00 worth of jar and substrate im losing. but that is mho.

#4 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:24 PM

If this helps at all, I just got over bronchitis. I had an extra petri dish in the fridge and figured I would see what would grow. So I hacked up a big one, spat it in a cup, swabbed some on the dish and around 5 days later.... green and brown growth.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!