• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:04 AM

These took a while to get going, I only put 1/4-1/2cc spore solution in each jar and shook once after some growth had started. In future I would clone a large stone and leave the RGS dry so I could add lots of LC, I would expect this growth after 30days doing that, the growth would probably be better since it would be an isolate. The jar on the right has the blood added, on the far right the jar on the bottom is the blood jar. The other pic is showing how the large stone has pushed the substrate away from the glass. I would estimate the large stone in the RGS jar to be 20g. The other side looks like it has no growth but down the bottom there is a large stone too.
Most argue that cubensis invitro grows are faster, they usually are but this is taking off well. Most would also prefer cubes since the time to first harvest is quicker, but some stones could be pulled out now, I have never heard of this before but I see it just like the cube invitros, the myc is established so contams are not as much of a worry. It could be done in a glove box to stay clean. I am thinking of doing it so I can get a clone going right now.

Attached Thumbnails

• atlantis rgs pushing glass 23 nov 05.jpg
  • atlantis rgs 23 nov 05.jpg

#2 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 23 November 2005 - 08:06 AM

Looks good. They may take a bit longer than cubes, but you can't beat the idea of putting the jar on your shelf and simply forgetting about it for three months.
RR

#3 Guest_pcsillypj_*

Guest_pcsillypj_*

Posted 23 November 2005 - 11:38 AM

lookin good mang..:D

#4 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 02:50 PM

Rodger- have you tried grow at different water contents? my wheat grains gave poor results, they were not coffee soaked though. I used very little water with the RGS, I just copied what workman was doing 71ml water to 100g RGS. Maybe the sclerotia likes less, I have heard they form "in times of trouble" as a sort of defence mechanism. The info I read can be totally contradicting at times, Stamets says darkness in TMC, I know you said he says otherwise now and were actually talking of using MH bulbs!

I was thinking of dunking the grow towards the end, Workman said it could be a good idea. Even though I used little water it separated out of my grains and there is a small pool at the bottom.

Do you find isolates work much better than MS

#5 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 23 November 2005 - 04:30 PM

i was just wondering if anybody has eatin this strain before..
i mean i know they produce stones and all.. but are they just as potent as the mex a.. more potent.. less potent?
since it is a different species i would assume that the amount of silly could vary from that of the mexa
so i was just wondering
LOST

#6 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 04:16 AM

Workman told me he had reports that they were comparable to mex A sclerotia, potency wise.

#7 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 07:19 AM

not bad for 6 weeks,

#8 Guest_xxxsevxxx_*

Guest_xxxsevxxx_*

Posted 25 November 2005 - 03:15 AM

so do you guys think mulitspore is the way to go for scolertia producers ?
i knowcked up like 12 deffernt isolates of some mex-a and not one jar has produced stones . and its been 2 1/2 months already . i just kinda check on them once a month . the ones i tryed fruiting did wonderfull they prodeced a nice flush at first . but the chamber wasnt set up for mex-a and they aborted at half growth . still got me off the ground to say the least .but no prints .
i guess what im asking is whats the best type of mycilia for the stones and whats the best for fruits ?
i also played with the water content a little bit that was a mistake i see know . to much water caused them to go tits up with bactiria from stagent water . thanks guys .
later VII

#9 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:37 AM

basically, it was found in the same place as some p
weilii--within a few feet of weilii. growing out of wet, red-clay soil, some were
growing out of moss. probably some burried woody debris, in a 5 year old
subdivision.

Attached Thumbnails

• atlantis1.jpg
  • P.atlantis183.jpg
  • P.atlantis182.jpg
  • P.atlantis181.jpg
  • P.atlantis180.jpg

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:44 AM

... but you can't beat the idea of putting the jar on your shelf and simply forgetting about it for three months.
RR

cubies can do it in 2 months,
not true sclerotia, just invitro cubes
but still faster is faster eh.
:eusa_ange

#11 TripTout

TripTout

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:41 PM

I didn't get a chance to eat any of the stones that we harvested about half a year ago, but we were using small premade bags from sporeworks and I seem to remember the yield being pretty impressive. Everyone that ate them liked them a whole lot.

#12 Cthulhu's Tentacle

Cthulhu's Tentacle

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 05:57 PM

Started from 4% honey LC on Dec. 1 and 4, respectively
Posted Image
Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• atlantis23yc.jpg
  • atlantis15ec.jpg

#13 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:25 AM

Looks really good. Pretty damn fast too.
Do you plan on fruiting these or are you simply going to harvest the stones?
Keep us updated.

#14 Cthulhu's Tentacle

Cthulhu's Tentacle

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:32 PM

Looks really good. Pretty damn fast too.
Do you plan on fruiting these or are you simply going to harvest the stones?
Keep us updated.

You mean, if my FOAF is planning...?

FOAF made separate PF Tek jars to attempt stem-cap fruiting for prints, which are just about ready for birthation.

FOAF is planning to let the stones jars sit for the published recommended times, unless a jar's content becomes one big stone.

#15 Guest_pcsillypj_*

Guest_pcsillypj_*

Posted 20 December 2005 - 04:56 PM

has your foaf ever grown any mexicana stones b4..?
if so...are you gonna try and compare the potency
between the strains...? and finally have you ever attempted
fruiting a strain like this.? these strains can be a real pain in
the ass to try and fruit.....good luck....:D

#16 Cthulhu's Tentacle

Cthulhu's Tentacle

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 05:07 PM

has your foaf ever grown any mexicana stones b4..?
if so...are you gonna try and compare the potency
between the strains...? and finally have you ever attempted
fruiting a strain like this.? these strains can be a real pain in
the ass to try and fruit.....good luck....:D

My FOAF is pretty much a newbie with all strains, but has enjoyed success with all cube strains and almost all published teks so far, with minimal contamination and average yields. This is FOAF's first attempt with sclerotia forming species

I will keep you guys updated on my FOAF's progress

#17 elphstone

elphstone

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:58 PM

I got prints from the original collector of this strain about 2 years ago and grew them out on ryegrass seed. The sclerotia form well on this substrate and I would say are somewhat less potent than tampanensis, but definitely active. The taste is similar to tampanensis. It certainly falls in the tampanensis/mexicana stirp in its macroscopic features. I haven't looked at the microscopic features. Rodger, you have a chance to try this strain yet?

Elphstone

#18 TripTout

TripTout

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 11:12 PM

Hello all. I'm getting ready to do work with Workman's Atlantis #7 strain (which produced a lot of sclerotia from multispore). Is anyone else working on this strain rght now? I used rye grain the first time around, but after thumbing around in TMC I read that both the tampanensis and Mex A form sclerotia more prolifically on rye grass seed. So I'm going to the grain store the day after Christmas for a 50 lb bag of rye grass seed. I'm excited to try this out. If anyone wants to share any information on Atlantis or any general sclerotia information, please feel free. Here's one tidbit I found interesting: the Atlantis will form a thin, chip-like piece of sclerotia in LC (light corn syrup). I'll be posting results as I get them. I've got a feeling that this thing could be the end-all of sclerotia formers.

#19 Cthulhu's Tentacle

Cthulhu's Tentacle

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 12:05 PM

my FOAF has some atlantis in parallel with mexicana A growing in rye grain, in wild rice, and in BRF (PF tek) cakes

FOAF did include a pinch of unroasted coffee grains (prior to PCing) inside some rye grain jars because he was too lazy to brew some light coffee as per Rodger's suggestion

The jars with the coffee grains seem to be doing better than the rye jars without, but all the jars show medium to heavy sclerotia formation on the glass, with only a couple showing light or no sclerotia near the glass.

Even the BRF cakes have sclerotia on them

FOAF started all jars from a liquid culture and swears by this method

some photos taken on dec. 18 were posted in this thread
http://mycotopia.net...read.php?t=6545

#20 Cthulhu's Tentacle

Cthulhu's Tentacle

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:24 AM

here's a pic of one of FOAF's BRF/verm cakes I mentionned earlier
Posted Image