Photo
- - - - -

Psilocybe Atlantis

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:09 PM

Is that wheat grain? Hard winter wheat berries?
What size jar is that?
What are the temps and are you storing it in the dark?

#42 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:12 PM

it is wheat grain, not sure what type, just from a feed store, looks the same as rye. The jar has fluctuated between 65-86F. Mostly between 76-86F, turned down yesterday to 74F. It is in the same incuabtor as my cubensis which is now fruiting. It is not in the dark

Here are some jars on rye grass seed. These are 16 days after innoculation with 1/2cc of multipore each. These jars are about 750ml. The one on the right has dried blood added for nitrogen.

Attached Thumbnails

• rgs atlantis 1 nov 05.jpg

#43 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:19 PM

What is it performing better on? The rye seed or the wheat grain?

#44 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:43 PM

Blackout, can you explain your microwave process for preparing the wheat grains?

#45 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:10 PM

Blackout, you are the Microwave Master!:bow:
I've used blood meal in compost. Never thought to add it to grains though. Nice work!

#46 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 04:35 AM

Blackout, can you explain your microwave process for preparing the wheat grains?

Substrate Preparation: 1.25kg of dry wheat was put in jar with hot water, about 50C. This was rinsed with hot water after a few hours and left soak in more hot water. 24hrs later the water was drained and the grain was microwaved for 5mins on high. Boiling water was added so the grain was fully submerged. 24hrs later the water was drained. The wet grain now weighed about 3kg. This was microwaved for 10minutes on full until it started to steam, then it was heated for 2 hours on low. This brought the weight of grain down to about 2.75kg. The jar was wrapped in a large blanket and was still hot 24hrs later. 48hrs after the last microwaving it was microwaved for 10min on full, and 2hrs on low again. This brought it down to 2.4kg of wet grain.
Innoculated the jar with 1.25kg dry wheat with 195ml LC. This brought it to approximately 2.6kg wet, which is 108ml water per 100g grain.

#47 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 04:39 AM

What is it performing better on? The rye seed or the wheat grain?

The RGS seems much better, but time will tell. Workman says it grows sclerotia throughout the substrate so there may be lots hidden inside.
Checked this morning and there are about 20 spots of definite sclerotia in th blood rgs jar, while not a single one in the straight rgs.
Roger recommended coffee for sclerotia, it is also high in nitrogen. Growing on spent coffee grinds may work well.

RGS is very well suited to the microwave since the grains do not explode, this mean you can add lots of water at the start and microwave it off over a few days.

#48 sinthetic

sinthetic

i party like a rock star

• Expired Member
  • 872 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:28 AM

Wow 4 days from innoculation to that! Nice.

#49 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:41 AM

Very interesting and successful method for you! Thanks for explaining it!!!!

That is amazing growth!!!!!

#50 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 12:12 PM

Wow 4 days from innoculation to that! Nice.

check out these 3 days olds before and after
30ml LC added to jars with 200g of dry grain each. After the LC was added they were at about 380-400g

Attached Thumbnails

• wheat-blood-2aug.jpg
  • wheat-blood-5aug.jpg

#51 panic

panic

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 07:46 PM

is that green on the right?

#52 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 05:47 AM

green mold? no. the jar on the right has blood added.

#53 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 06:31 AM

Coool...How much blood do u add to spawn ...? and does it consistantly improve the vigour of the myc....? ....thanx....

#54 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 04:47 AM

I estimate about 10g blood on the 380g wet wheat grains.
RGS has 131g RGS and 12g blood and about 75ml water.
The myc did look more rhizo on the blood jars. The blood sclerotia jar is winning hands down.

#55 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 07 November 2005 - 08:15 AM

You might want to give the large jars in the first picture a smell test. That looks like bacterial contamination. It has that 'melted ice cream' look.
RR

#56 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 11:21 AM

Thats what my jars all look like after a massive dose of LC, it is just unusual to see the beginning of growth on every single grain. I have smelt them and they seem fine

#57 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:33 AM

I opened the jar after 80days. Has only tiny sclerotia which I have not bothered to harvest. They ended up the same size as the grains so separating would be a pain. I have added straw and will try fruiting them.
Roger has success with coffee and rye. I would not recommend wheat to anybody for sclerotia production, well for atlantis anyway. Unless I was just unlucky with my MS and got a poor sclerotia producer.
My RGS jars are doing very well though, some nice big stones in them at the moment. I will be cloning the stones in future.
If they do fruit I will send a few prints in.

#58 panic

panic

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:57 PM

after opening up the jar did you get a chance to see what was going on inside the substrate? just curious about the stones growing all throughout the sub.

#59 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 01:09 PM

Yes there were stones throughout it, but only small ones, I have large ones in the RGS. I took all the grain out and crumbled it. It seemed to have formed a clump at the top that cut off the air supply to the lower section of the jar. You can see this in the pictures too.
I have newer pics I will post soon

#60 panic

panic

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:58 PM

definatley, want to see them!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!