115 replies to this topic

#41 deucedbi9

deucedbi9

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:01 PM

sounds like fun golly
did you put some of the myc on agar by any chance, just in case?
your experiment led me to wonder. if you poured a strong h2o2 agar plate,
strong enough to 'kill all known germs dead' as it were,
might increase your success rates in a glove box.
degrade the h2o2 with strong light source before introducing the myc.
if you could fully degrade the h2o2 might it work with spores.
but then, i was thinking maybe a couple of the cats buiscuits ala hippies3s,'everwhelm' paroxide, organic compounds idea. as an additional food source to the karo. mainly because i'm outta malt. dont laugh,i found myself studying a pakage of spirulina in a health food shop recenly apropos myc food...if i'd had a spare £12 ...even tried to blag a free sample from a manufacturer lol.
really 'dig' this experimenters corner.
just read. golly..."Using a spore print in pure peroxide [3%] we are at day five"
this would be the degraded peroxide wouldn' it?

#42 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:22 PM

Thnx fer the input Deuc...The Spore print used for the test was initially "fresh" peroxide but I'm sure it's quite degraded now at day 13...The spores are not germinating yet but they do look different somehow in the last day or so..

#43 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,713 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:57 PM

cool experiment, golly! damn cool. :) hope it works out for ya. ;)

fahtster

#44 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 09:33 AM

Well i just spawned those two jars which grew out of a pure 3% peroxide solution to mini trays ,,They seemed OK, We'll know for sure soon..

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0943.jpg

#45 safTman

safTman

easily distracted

• Free Member
  • 566 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 12:52 PM

well here is a few pic of the stem growth
remember it is just straight 3% h2o2 and inside of a stem
what do yall think?

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0545.JPG
  • 100_0547.JPG
  • 100_0548.JPG

#46 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,231 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2006 - 09:42 AM

That baby looks about ready to inoculate something with. Some of the camera angles also make it look like a severed finger, the "Wendy's Tek?"

Seriously it's looking great to me... Is there no air exchange set up for this jar? I'd guess the oxygen introduced with the peroxide would be consumed at some point and it might drown, at least that's what I'd be watching out for.

Nice lighting for the pics, BTW...

#47 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 10:59 AM

Good progress there SafT.. So Are those pix at day 9...? What was your method - just cut n' drop ...? ...Great photo's btw...

One day after spawning to the minitrays - the myc is kickin and all looks normal at the moment....Proly take pic tmrw....

#48 safTman

safTman

easily distracted

• Free Member
  • 566 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:18 PM

thanks for the nice comments

after looking back at the calender its been more like 12 days since i started this project. the jar was wiped with alcohol and then peroxide poured in. the stem was torn in half, and a new unused needle was used to extract the inside part of the stem. the stem was picked about 12 hours before and left on a paper towel until it was needed. this was done in open air, just a freshly cleaned bathroom with no air movement. so it may not be clean? I already had my GB full and this was more of an after thought just for kicks so we will see how this turns out.

BTW in the pics i had not shaken the jar yet, will shake before I draw up the syringe. the jar has a couple of self healing injection ports but no way of air exchange. like TVC said its probably used up all the air but it appears to have enough growth to be drawn up for inoculation.

#49 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 09:25 AM

Hope it works out safT..
Here are the trays at 48hrs from spawning ...They're lookin good with some developing rhizo's ..will be casing em later today...no sighn of mold at the moment..
I think what was happening - the cake spawn was a bit on the dry side and the myc appeared mold-like on the drier spots...

pix..

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0953.jpg
  • IMG_0954.jpg

#50 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,730 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2006 - 09:38 AM

Really nice, golly! I sure don't see any contams!

I suppose you still have no growth in your straight spore jar?

#51 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 12:45 PM

the jar has a couple of self healing injection ports but no way of air exchange.

you can give air exchange manually by using an airport in each port
to force fresh filtered air in , letting old stake out.

#52 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:42 PM

Still no germination 8...they still look normal ,colorwise and texturally..

Possibly the higher ratio of peroxide to organic matter may be delaying growth or the added karo was oxidized...I'm gonna add a bit more -see if that helps...
If the original growth from that mushjar which i just cased in 4 minitrays fruit, then they should all look pretty uniform ,if indeed that growth came from the shroom and not the spores...dont cha think...?

#53 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:38 AM

The peroxide Mycelium trays are coming along nicely ,cased yesterday..

Another peroxide test , this time with dried frozen Cubes placed in a halfpint 9 days ago, are showing similar formation of myc - all growing in small fragments on the jar bottom and nothing on the main material thats floating...I swirled a bit to photo...
There are 2 jars in this test and both are showing growth ..
If these can sucssessfully be transfered and grown out - then i think i'll
write a Tec on the third try...Meanwhile, try it out peeps - it's very simple..

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0971.jpg
  • IMG_0964.jpg

#54 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:25 AM

that looks very good golly, i can wait to see the grow from them trays. i wonder would powder form cubie work?

siam

#55 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:38 PM

Well Siam ,It may just work ..

I'm thinking now, that Bobcat's idea maybe correct - in that tiny fragments of the shroom are broken off through the oxidizing proccess and growing out on the jar bottom...The spore only jar is now at day 20 with no sighn of life...Hey maybe peroxide really does kill spores :lol: Captain obvious sighning off...

#56 primate

primate

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 05:14 PM

how are those casings looking golly?

Also do you guys think the peroxide is enough to sterilize a jar? If so that's amazing as far as cloning teks go.

For example, would a airtight jar with peroxide in it be sterile. Or are there spores/bacteria that peroxide will not kill?

-Prim

#57 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:05 PM

Well they look like this , 4 trays ready to pop..
If the duration of contact with peroxide inside the jar is long enough - i suspect that any spore or bacteria will be oxidized..I am testing that theory
in various ways..will post as things develop...May have to change thread title as this is going into different territory...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0988.jpg

#58 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:06 PM

I'm very happy your experiments are turning out so well Golly!

I have been seeing a lot green in mine but I have some more things I am going to try- including using a stronger peroxide. I have some 35%, but its an older bottle thats weakened considerably. I have one jar that seems to be doing well.

Those are good questions Primate, and through more experimentation we will find out I guess. I think that with fresh peroxide at full 3% or more strength, without anything else in it, the jar would be sterile- or close to it. But the stuff breaks down so quick.... I think the trick here is going to be figuring out the ratios.

(# ounces, % peroxide) plus (# grams of sugar) plus (# grams of fresh mushroom) equals SUCCESS!

#59 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:08 PM

Lol, you got in there right ahead of me Golly!

Does anyone know what happens to sugar when its oxidized? What is the final product and is it useable to mycelium?

#60 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:09 PM

Lookin Killer! WTG Golly!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!