• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 kikashi

kikashi

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 12:54 PM

I will attempt in this thread, to follow my progress from start to finish. I have just put 8 innoculated PFT+ jars in my Cubincubator. It's a triple insulated Sterilite containter with drip shield suspended from the top. PFT+ for this round is as follows: 4 cups verm.
2 cups BRF
2/3 cup wet with coffee coffee grounds, ( Kona).
1/2 tsp light amber Barley malt extract. ( has worked real well in the past for colonizing jars)
3 tbsp crushed oyser shells. ( to buffer the malt )
1/2 tsp Gypsum ( to buffer the coffee)
480 ml water
pressure cooked 40min., cooled in sealed bags in the incubator. Innoculated with EQ spore syringe from a reliable source.

Once Colonized I plan to case with verm/peat 50/50. I have made 2 previous casing attempts. The most recent involved 5 perfectly good cakes of EQ, ( see the NeuroMintz thread), and 5 cakes of Z. 2 different casing attempts with peat/verm. I believe my error with these was adding 1/2 tsp of malt extract to the casings. In any event to date I have nothing to show for it.
Cakes from the same batches have fruited nicely on their own,( see neuromintz thread). There is no contam. visible on either casing attempt.

The coffee grounds are a new addition to my jar colonizing routine. I want to try the peat/verm casing without malt. More to come.

BTW. I am trying 2 Bonne Maman jam jars. they have ten sides/edges.

Attached Thumbnails

• incint.jpg
  • covered.jpg

#2 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 12:56 PM

i like the idea of the edged jars, it seems that the myc likes to pin on edges as it is. this may prove to be really good.
please keep us updated

#3 kikashi

kikashi

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 12:59 PM

destroy... I believe yours and hippi3's comments are the reason I wanted to try the jam jars - they are otherwise conical bottom to top so should work. It's with Rodger's idea I'm trying the coffee grounds. 2/3 cup is only significant as that's what came out of my French press after a pot of coffee. I would definately appreciate any comments from all of you as I make my way thru the process. More pics in about 4 days.

#4 kikashi

kikashi

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 04:08 PM

A couple quick notes:

This is being done at about 5300 feet above sea level. RH is generally about 15%+/-5. T varies from -20 to +105 F thru the year. Yea, that's right, I live in Amsterdam of course.

Immediately before inocculation of the jars I rubberbanded the syringe to my ultrasonic toothbrush,( cybersonic), and ran it for about 1.5 min. to disperse the spores. The syringe had been sitting in a box in the fridge for about 2 months.

#5 kikashi

kikashi

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 06:35 PM

This thread will continue where the "It's Alive" thread left off. We'll see where a little culture strain selection goes after a few generations. Then - Mini LB's perhaps.

#6 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 12:52 AM

definately keep us posted
and pics of the edged jars evolution will be great and appreciated

#7 kikashi

kikashi

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 01:38 AM

Yeah and I expect to be doing more of those now . Should get a good chance to see if there's any effect. Like are the edges angled enough to make a diff. 3 weeks we should know.

#8 kikashi

kikashi

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 09:19 AM

Noticed that while my cubincubator is showing 86 F, the floor is cool to the touch. The floor is perlite overlaid with fiberglass screening,( a couple layers). I have added a false floor of styrofoam elevated on phlebotomy needle hubs. This should let the jars get up to proper temp. Will inventory all 8 at the end of the day. It'll be 4 full days since innoc. and I want to mark the fast ones. About half are showing the beginnings of growth now.

#9 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 09:40 AM

86 sounds ok
but my friend likes to have the temp down around 80-82
any way you can shed a few degrees?

#10 kikashi

kikashi

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 09:54 AM

yes but recent experience tells me 86-88 is better. maybe due to altitude/ 10% less oxygen

#11 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 10:09 AM

cool
sounds good then
go with what works optimally for you
i agree your exp with your grows in your area will help you along

it will be cool to see if the myc grow rides up the ridges of the jars also.

#12 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 25 March 2005 - 10:26 AM

The growth rate falls off dramatically when you reach 86F in your spawn or substrate. If the air temp is 86, you can be sure the interior of the jar is much warmer than that. Contamination is also favored at higher temperatures. I wouldn't go over 80F in the incubator.
RR

#13 kikashi

kikashi

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 01:22 PM

thanks for the help rodger and destroy...

I am taking your comments to heart. Big update for me. My Z case - cased 2/24 - is showing some pins finally. not big enough to show in a pic here yet but tomorrow probably. Myceliem is at ~78-80 F. EQ still shows no signs of life. It has however, been a slower strain than the Z at every stage so far. Grown in identical conditions. We'll see, It was cased 1 day before the Z. I screwed up the cases early on by including a little malt in the peat/verm casing.

I have switched the air pump in my cake fruiter (FRICU#1), from the heater tank to it's 10" aquarium stone. that should drop the humidity a bit. I'm trying to keep the temp in there around 76-78 F.

#14 kikashi

kikashi

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 04:56 PM

Destroy, erase..., Rodger, Smegma, anyone;

What temp is good for fruiting mycelium? It's in a case - peat/verm ~ 1.75" under ~.75-1" cake slices, covered with about .75" peat/verm. I mean what temp. should the mycelium be at optimally if I stick a meat thermometer into it.

#15 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 25 March 2005 - 05:00 PM

I don't know about the temperature of the mycelium but the air temperature should be between 72 and 80, even better between 74 and 78. Drop the temperature to that range and introduce fresh air and walla!

#16 kikashi

kikashi

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 05:05 PM

thx dial8

#17 kikashi

kikashi

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 09:01 PM

Back to the task at hand. Of the 8 jars involved 6 show signs of growth at 4 days. Per Destroy... and Rodger's suggestion the incubator is down to 84 and dropping. will post some pics as soon as there's sig. coating going on. Of particular interest - both the Bonne Maman jars show growth.

#18 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 09:05 PM

i agree with dial. low 70s is fine for fruiting

#19 kikashi

kikashi

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 10:43 PM

Temp is now at 72. H right about 90 but will probably fall some more. Have both the stone and the tube bubbling in the heater tank. The stone was off when those EQ's sprouted at the top 1st Flush, 2nd round. The Z at the bottom is third flush from original PFT+malt experiment. Rest are Z or EQ various birthdays and flushes. Temp was 78F H ~95. We'll see. Lower R cake has nothin' happenin' so far but is smooth and due any day.

Attached Thumbnails

• EQ2-2-1stflushF.jpg
  • Z-1-2-3rdFlushF.jpg
  • temphum1forum.jpg

#20 kikashi

kikashi

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 09:01 AM

z - 33g, eq 13 g - 1 shroom, rest still growing.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!