• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 kkem444

kkem444

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 08:06 PM

Hey guys, i just stumbled across some threads about grass clippings. Then I remembered, my next door neighboor has a HUUUUGE pile of grass clippings out in the backyard that has been around for years, its right next to my property line and its real far from his house so i was thinking of trying a grow with it. Would it be possible to jsut inject spores down into the composted stuff, or should i use some cakes that have been fully colonized. Also, read that you could ad some verm or coir since the composted grass will be pretty thick and hard for the mycellium to spawn through. Is this necisary, and if so how much should i add approx?

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 08:37 PM

Would it be possible to jsut inject spores down into the composted stuff, or should i use some cakes that have been fully colonized.

injecting spores won't work,
you'd need to spawn the compost
with already colonized substrate.

#3 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 08:38 PM

you could ad some verm or coir since the composted grass will be pretty thick and hard for the mycellium to spawn through. Is this necisary, and if so how much should i add approx?

you'd want first to take a pitchfork, shovel, etc.
and loosen up that pile, get it crumbly and light,
might need some added water as well.

#4 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 08:42 PM

this might help-

Is there an easy way of cultivating P. cubensis outdoors?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is.
It's called

MOE'S OUTDOOR GROWING TEK

Temps: DO RESEARCH ON THE TYPE OF MUSHROOM YOU WANT TO GROW.
(regular cubies: 60-100 degs works well)

Strength: better get ready to some muscle work.

Water: a hose or someway to get the freakin water to the outdoor patch

Manure: any kind will do. I get the cheap bag from walmart. Regular manure, nothing fancy if you can get it fresh.. yaay.

Hay.. soaked for 24hours: regular HAY. Nothing fancy, nothing special. Any kind of hay. Wheat, grass, whatever.. freaking HAY

okay?...

A shady spot... near a tree or where there is ....SHADE. nothing special if light gets to it part of the day.. it's ok.

A shovel for digging

A rake for raking

A rubermaid tub or a trashcan to soak the hay in.

A a brick to put on top of the hay when you soak it.. (duh, hay floats)

Some colonized cakes( fresh ones works best...spent one can be used and should never be put in the trash). Substrate doesnt matter.. cakes are damn cakes! this will be the spawn for the patch.

Directions:

1. dig a hole about 6 inches deep. It can be as wide as you want if you have a shitload of cakes to bury or just want a big patch.

2. if you have MORE THAN ONE CAKE crumble one and toss in the newly dug hole. If you have one cake, break it in half and crumble a half in the hole. (remember, the MORE spawn the BETTER have more than one cake ).

3. Take some of the soaked hay right from the soaking container and cover the crumbled cakes. Pack it in there..

4. Take the manure and make a layer over the hay. cover it all and not too deep about an inch.

5. Place some more hay on the dookie you just laid down about an inch.

6. Place cakes on the hay you just laid. This is the important step. For fast fruits, it's good to have a shitload of spawn near the surface of the earth so that it can just "pickup where it left off" and start consuming the new nutrients and fruit.

7. Place hay on the cakes... not too much! dont drown the cakes in hay in this step. Get the cakes covered and let some of the cakes show thru the hay.

8. Do a dookie, hay and earth mix on the ground. The ratio? Not too much shit and not too much dirt. The hay doesn't matter, just mix it.. Use the shoveled dirt and mix all 3 up reeeeel guuuud.

9. Rake the mixture over the hay you just laid. Don't cover more than 2 inches it's okay if the patch bulges above the ground.

10. cover with a thin layer of hay and water but don't drown it unless you live in arizona.

REMEMBER:

All shrooms started outside in nature ... so, when deciding to start outdoor cultivation project...the question is not.. "Hey what strain is good for outdoor cultivation?". Think about the weather conditions that you are attempting to grow in.. It's like asking... What kind of penguin is good to raise outdoors?" DUH? Most penguins are from the south pole. So if you live in Mexico City, think about the question you just asked ..get where I'm going at with this? DO RESEARCH on the type of shroom that you are attempting to grow.
R E A D.. L E A R N

#5 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 08:56 PM

http://mycotopia.net...html?1092751283

many outdoor grow teks & info

#6 sinthetic

sinthetic

i party like a rock star

• Expired Member
  • 872 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 09:06 PM

hmmm sounds like a project this summer... what about humidity outside? any general requirments for cubies?

#7 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 09:12 PM

what about humidity outside? any general requirments for cubies?

pretty much the same parameters as indoors,
they prefer a nice humid microclimate.
a bed of straw helps in that regard
as it acts as a layer of mulch,
the topmost will dry
but it stays moist under.
avoid direct sun
and water the bed more
if hot dry spells occur.

#8 kkem444

kkem444

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 01:53 AM

Hip, i see you say to use some colonized cakes or something instead of spores, but according to this post in the archives, http://mycotopia.net...html?1080064167, he states you can use a syringe or a print. So do you think its THAT unlikely spores will work? or do you jsut think that using somehting as spawn will have a much better succes rate.

#9 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 07:57 AM

did you read the very last line of that ?

I would use colonized dung to spawn the "Piles", insted of spores.

now, suit yourself on if you follow our advice
but that's it.
i suppose it might be 'possible' with spores,
but if you're serious about success,
use spawn.

#10 nomoreusmc

nomoreusmc

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 940 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 03:06 PM

really, listen to hippie

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 03:17 PM

the problem with using spores is just a very low % chance of success.
while using spawn gives a much better chance.

#12 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 26 February 2005 - 04:16 PM

I have been able to germinate spores on sterilized compost but the growth was not as robust as with grains - it did eventually fruit though when spawned to pasteurized poo...Think there are too many compeditors in raw compost for a lil ole spore ....

#13 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 04:21 PM

hmmm sounds like a project this summer... what about humidity outside? any general requirments for cubies?

Nothing some wet straw and a tarp won't fix.

#14 sinthetic

sinthetic

i party like a rock star

• Expired Member
  • 872 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 04:24 PM

excellent. I live in a very very dry climate, common RH around the house is below 25%

#15 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 04:35 PM

In Fl. when they were very plentiful, RH's were well above 80% in the spring and summer. If it's 85 degrees there, the RH is 70-90%. It's tough on ya, but easier to get oudoor cubs going.

#16 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 04:46 PM

I have been able to germinate spores on sterilized compost but the growth was not as robust as with grains - it did eventually fruit though when spawned to pasteurized poo...Think there are too many compeditors in raw compost for a lil ole spore ....

golly i wish you had posted some pix of that
as it developed.
tell us more, plz.
how'd it go, how long to colonize how much,
what you did to get it to fruit,
you know...
thx

#17 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 26 February 2005 - 07:10 PM

I did post a pic a few months ago - 2 qt jars side by side , one was popcorn the other, worm compost juice which was soaked into ground corn cob [ animal bedding] ...I think the pocorn jar finished 3 days ahead, from multispore inoc.
The compost jar colonized less densely -proly took 19 days to spawning.
Spawned to a pasteurized mix worm poo and shredded mulch 1:3 ratio .The popcorn was spawned the same way.
Both casings did pretty well ,the compo lagged by a few days but i think the harvest was fairly even between the two.
I think the name of the original post was 'spawn without grains' ...I wanted to use the corn cob because u could easily shake up the jar to mix the myc...

#18 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 07:13 PM

since it was brought up, outside grows that is. what is the max temp they can take. my buddy was talking about growing some stuff outside in a greenhouse type setup, but the summers here can be vicious. anywhere from 80-100 depending on mother nature.

#19 kkem444

kkem444

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 04:29 AM

Golly im not sure if your experiment clarified that spores will work though. You did it in a jar, which isnt exactly the same as a compost pile laying in the backyard.

#20 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 27 February 2005 - 07:49 AM

You need to use grain or brf to germinate and grow out your spawn. Thousands of folks before you have tried to dump spores on the ground, in their gardens, compost piles etc. I've never seen a success story. Follow mycological protocols that those who came along before developed, and you'll succeed.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!