Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

PsychoKnot's Hands-Free Sterilizer (for gloveboxes)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 psychoknot

psychoknot

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 08:38 PM

As many people know, it is very hard to get a lighter to light with gloves covered in bleach water, and a candle is a hazard for the gloves themselves, all those pesky burns... but flame sterilizing is so essential! What to do?

Luckily PsychoKnot has an answer!

*Materials (see image: Materials)
*Syringe, complete with plunger
*Large gauge needle for syringe (18 gauge works great)
*Fiber (sewing thread, fiber from a coconut husk is perfect) slightly longer than needle
*Rubbing alcohol (90% works best)
*Duct tape
*Lighter and glovebox

Process
*1. Remove the plunger from the syringe
*2. Remove the rubber seal/gasket (the black part, the part you don't press)
*3. Thread the fiber through the needle until part is visible on both ends (easier if needle isn't attached to syringe, feed it in through the side that isn't pointy, that attaches to the syringe)
*4. Screw the needle, fiber and all into the syringe, taking care not to catch the fiber in the thread of the junction (see image: Needle and Thread)
*5. Take the rubber gasket and place it in the wide end of the syringe, not a tight seal but squashed in so that there is a small air space between both sides. (see image: Rubber Gasket)
*6. Remove the seal, that was practice.
*7. Fill syringe with rubbing alcohol, then replace seal as you did in Step 5.
*8. Pull about one foot of duct tape off of the roll
*9. Wrap the syringe slightly back from it's center of gravity in the middle of the duct tape, leaving the ends of the duct tape free and the needle end hanging down (see image: Complete)
*10. Attach the ends of duct tape to the top of the glove box (this requires some mental geometrey) so that, when the needle hangs from the top it is pointing towards the center of the glove box (see image: Complete)
*11. Rubbing alcohol should be slowly dripping from the syringe
*12. Light the alcohol on fire
*13. Place the lid on the glove box
*14. Watch the flickering flame, ready to sterilize

Hazards:
*BE CAREFUL! Do not sterilize the container with alcohol, use bleach water. Alcohol will cause a fire at least, and an explosion at worst.
*You have a full resevoir of rubbing alcohol there! Using less than a full syringe is one safety measure, but the nature of the gasket seal makes a large spill unlikely
*The flame is somewhat temperamental, so care should be taken with it, especially when sterilizing, as a puff of steam coming from the open end of the needle will quickly extinguish a flame. For this reason the needles should be sterilized with the open side upwards
*If the flame goes out and you choose to relight it, be careful that a pool of rubbing alcohol hasn't formed on the floor of the glovebox, if it has, wipe it up to avoid a little fire

Benefits:
*No fiddling with lighters
*No floor room of the glovebox taken
*Flame is ready when you need it
*If you are interested in this tek, you already have the materials!

Just my contribution to the community

PsychoKnot

Attached Thumbnails

• Complete.gif
  • Materials.gif
  • Rubber Gasket.gif
  • Needle and Thread.gif

#2 sinthetic

sinthetic

i party like a rock star

• Expired Member
  • 872 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 08:40 PM

any photos 'in-action'?

#3 psychoknot

psychoknot

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 08:42 PM

Digital camera stolen in L.A., but it is amazing to watch, it flickers like a candle.

#4 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 09:01 PM

you need to change your nick
to mc_guiver
creative
although i personally
think fire in the glovebox
is a bad idea,
and when i do use it
a real alcohol lamp is nice, and proly a bit safer.

#5 psychoknot

psychoknot

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 09:04 PM

The safety factor is debatable, because the alcohol lamp becomes very dangerous when knocked over, and this avoids that eventuality entirely.
To each their own.

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 09:07 PM

the alcohol lamp becomes very dangerous when knocked over

no doubt,
although they are usually very wide at the base,
low profile and center-of-gravity
so turning them over has never been problematic,
at least for me.
i'd love to see your rig in action,
as well as being assembled,
i find i understand much better
if i can see it.

#7 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 25 February 2005 - 10:02 PM

The other problem with flame in the glovebox is the extreme heat that develops. I use tyvek sleeves for my glovebox, while wearing surgical gloves. This lets me pull my hands out of the box to use a alcohol lamp on the outside. When I pull my hands out, the tyvek sleeve closes and seals up the box until I stick my hands back in. I'll try to get pix up of it soon.

#8 psychoknot

psychoknot

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 10:55 PM

i'd love to see your rig in action,
as well as being assembled,
i find i understand much better
if i can see it.

I know, I know. I am pissed about my digicam being stolen in L.A. I'll see if I can borrow somebody's, because it is fucking sweet to see in action. The final diagram should give a good approximation, in fact, it is basically what it looks like.

If I had my digicam, I could maybe actually help some people.

#9 psychoknot

psychoknot

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 11:00 PM

The other problem with flame in the glovebox is the extreme heat that develops.

I haven't found that to be a problem with my method, of course I never do more than probably twelve jars at a time. Also, rubbing alcohol burns at a very low temperature.

This lets me pull my hands out of the box to use a alcohol lamp on the outside.

For what, lighting a cigarette like you're on a bomb squad? In all seriousness though, are you sterilizing a needle in the open air and then putting your now non-sterile hands with non-sterile air back into the glove box? Maybe I'm missing something...

#10 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 26 February 2005 - 02:54 AM

Yes. Neither your hands nor the air are ever going to be sterile. You just want still air in the glovebox. I heat the needle or scalpel red hot outside the box, then re-insert my hands into the box through the tyvek sleeves. My hands are gloved. This works much better. I use an alcohol lamp that heats the entire room I use it in by 5 - 10F during a sterile work cycle. I can only imagine how much it would heat the glovebox up.

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 08:21 AM

which is why a flowhood is sweet,
such a nice breeze as you're working...

#12 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 08:22 AM

btw,
don't let rodg or i harsh your gig, man-
that is an ingenious rig you've thought up there.

#13 psychoknot

psychoknot

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 10:51 AM

Oh, don't worry about it. I realize that without the pictures it loses it's effect, but I thought this was a cool setup that I would share with the community that has shared so much with me.

When I can, I will get some pictures of it in action.

Also, the hazards I name are actually precautions. I have never had an episode with this method, but I foresaw these hazards and have taken the precautions, so who knows. Also, it has only been used two times.

#14 taoistshredder

taoistshredder

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 11:03 AM

Very good idea. MacGuyver, indeed.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!