• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 02:23 PM

Ok i'll ... update later with pix in my next minitub grow..
First...we have the 20oz ziplock trays [1 1/2 pint] and pierce holes with a hot nail or drill into the base...
Fill a sink with warm soapy water + a lil bleach and toss in all the trays and lids ,along with any other tools your going to use for scooping the substrate..
Next ,take your colonized spawn material [cakes or grains] and dump em into a large ziplock bag...Close the bag and break everything up by massaging the outside of the bag...
Now we add the newly pasteurized and hydrated material, like manure,coir or vermiculite ...It can be any mix u like - even plain verm, but best to have some thing of nutrient value..
I prefer a 1:1 or 1:2 ratio for fast colo time...So shovel that mix into
the ziplock bag containing your broken up spawn and massage again till
its all evenly mixed up...

Now take each tray from the sink after a quick rinse and scoop in your mixed substrate with a giant spoon [i like a soup ladel]...Fill the trays to about a half inch from the top and level the surface...
Place the lids loosely on the trays and move em to the fruiting chamber...
3 days is usually enough incubation time for liberally spawned subs..
After the third day lids can be rotated 45 degrees to allow some air exchange if further time is needed to completly colo the surface...Otherwise they can be removed...
Once the myc has thickened up on the surface [another day or so] the casing layer can be applied...

For the casing layer a verm/ coir mix is the overall easiest/best way to go.

So when u have the casing hydrated,pasteurized and ready to go - U can grab the
colo'd trays and flip em out of their containers onto a dinner plate like a cake...
This is done so that a spacer of some sort can be placed in the tray bottom.
Anything will do - like plastic tubing, foam, verm ect. U just want to insure the sub will drain freely + allows pins to form on all 6 sides of the cake...A quarter inch spacer is good..

I put the spacer on the cake, then put the tub on and flip the whole dealio at once...It's really more simple than it proly sounds..heh..

Now apply a 1/4 inch casing layer and return to the FC..

For watering i just use the previously posted water bottle for gently dribbling around pins n' such ..Its hard to really overwater the cake but some drying between the applications is best ...Distilled water is preferred
and can be applied at any stage through pinning..

The RH can be as low as 70% up to 95% ..When its time for harvest, the top
surface shroomz are pulled first, then pop the cake out n' grab the rest from sides and bottom..
Finally rinse and clean ,then return to tray ...Fill the holes with more casing
and wait for round two...

After casing, the trays go right back to the FC ..You can sit em on top of the inverted lids uncovered...
With thin casing layers - no patching is needed as any colonization is pretty uniform ..
Best not to have too much coir in the mix, so it doesn't get really overgrown.
I like about a 20-30% mix

it's pretty much a jazzed up half pint cake per tray...

I guess what i'm saying about the water, is that for casings it's best if it has a low mineral content .Real spring water should also be fairly low in minerals so would be ok...My deep well tap water leaves a residue when it evapourates which can build up on a casing...
A gallon of spring is the same price as distilled which i prefer for syringe making also...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0909.jpg

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:34 AM

copied & merged for clarity

#3 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 11:54 AM

Two thumbs up!

#4 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 21 November 2006 - 12:00 PM

3 thumbs up :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

:crazy1:

good stuff goll'

#5 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,654 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2006 - 12:09 PM

:dance: :headbang:

#6 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,164 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2006 - 02:56 PM

Great work Golly!

Just what I love the best. Cheap and simple. :D

#7 StroFun

StroFun

Master Baiter

• Expired Member
  • 501 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 03:14 PM

~average yeilds per mini tray?:eusa_clap :bow:

#8 Sky Rayven

Sky Rayven

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 652 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 04:23 PM

I plan on using coir only for mixing with the cake this time about equal parts or so of cake to coir. Reason being that coir will be completely over run quickly by the myc.

I will try some poo next time i guess.

That is my game plan.

Does any one foresee any troubles with that? (the coir)

#9 Guest_DaGoon_*

Guest_DaGoon_*

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:00 PM

half coir? you might need to patch up the casing if the myc starts growing through, would be your only problem.. maybe

#10 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:04 PM

Thanks Golly!

#11 viewer6922

viewer6922

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:18 PM

pure coir can show nasties unless you have GREAT AIR EXCHANGE.... coir users beware :puke::puke:

#12 Sky Rayven

Sky Rayven

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 652 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:20 PM

DaGoon...

Isn't that the point? I want it to colonize quick.

Golly adds the casing layer last and then starts fruiting.

basically just put your cake into a bag and crumble. then add an equal amount or a little more of coir, verm, or poo. Return to incubation for a few days. Once this is colonized then add a top casing layer like 60/40 (golly likes to use about 30% coir to 70% verm).

I think that is what golly seems to be saying.

I just wasn't sure if i should use a mix of components or if just coir would be good (for tray colonization)

of course the last step would be to use a good casing mixture on top after colonization.

#13 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:27 PM

Hah...A tec without pictures - i guess i better get rolling on that..:lol:
As far as production goes, i only remember the last tray which was 130 on the first and 85g on the second flush...i removed it after the 2nd to make room for other stuff...But pretty much equal to just one of Rev Trips shroomz...
heh...

#14 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:31 PM

Sky ..Mixing yer cake with all coir is fine if no manure is available..
Then case with the 70/30 verm...auta work....

#15 Sky Rayven

Sky Rayven

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 652 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:54 PM

:headbang: Thanx Golly!!

You are fukin great!!! This seems like a really great way to go!

Thank you very much for posting this groovy tek of yours!!!!!!

off to the vaults with this stuff mods!! IMO

golly I will do the coir this time and then poo the next time. Have you seen your pics on nominations for this month!!

Your pics have taken the cake....or did your cakes take pic :amazed:

Thanx again!!

#16 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:09 PM

Hey guys,

ummm, just a quick question, and plz excuse the ignorance, but i think I'm missing something.
I've read it twice, and i'm still not getting it here. How is this method different from doing standard casings?
There's so clearly something major, maybe its a 'cant see the forrest through the tree's' thing?

Also, the holes, why in the bottom rather then the lid?

I bet i'm gonna read this a 3rd time and get it... :eusa_shif i hope. eh.

Thanks guys, hope everyone's well.

Fingers :greenboun

#17 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:21 PM

Well Fingers ,It's not much different ...The original thread was simply about the benefits from growing in mini cased trays as opposed to single large ones...It just kinda snowballed into the method i used for making em...

#18 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:33 PM

reeealy Goll? not just being modest here? :)

Justthe response everyone seems more emphatic....and i still haven't figured the holes in 'the bottom'. Drainage?? air exchange?
Would them being on the bottom mean they'd be more or less likely to allow contams to enter??
I'm just really curious cos this does sound really simple, quick, and easy. Not to mention the obvious 'fewer egss in each basket' kinda mentality.
Could you maybe explain what inspired the holes being put in the bottom rather then the lid perhaps?

Sorry dude, I've just resolved to definately giving a bunch of casings a shot. So this tek sounds especially interesting to me. :)

Thanks mate :)

Fingers

#19 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 11:13 PM

Well what bugged me about the larger casings was that it was hard to really know if i had the optimum water content for a good flush..inspite of maintaning a moist casing layer the sub as a whole can still dry out or become over hydrated without any direct evidence untill it's too late to correct..
With these mini deals, they can be watered liberally without much risk.
The spacer in the bottom also creates a small gap around the sides - providing air exchange + extra pinning surface..the best spacer material is
non absorbant like flat pebbles or plastic tubing..

#20 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 02:57 AM

I think a numbskull like me just needs the visuals Goll :eusa_shif lol Sorry m8.
I think it's the 'spacer' thats throwing me. I dunno... I'll just keep my eye out for some pics if you get a chance to do a few?

I'm really intrigued now if it's what I'm visualising. Ah well. I'm doin a bit of work tonight, some G2G and casing a couple cakes.
This is probably some rediculous stoner idea i'm cooking up, but i'll give it a go. You never know, might work out and teach me something. Or not work! and STILL teach me something. :)

Now that my focus is the hobby its gonna be fun to try some more extravant and experimental type stuff that teaches us volumes.

Anyway, I'm smoking some of this Sativa Ive been growing, so I'll reeeeally talk you're ears off if i dont stop now. :amazed:

Thanks Goll,

Fingers :greenboun

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!