Complete Lucid Dream Tutorial
Posted 23 November 2006 - 02:30 PM
Steps for the beginner
Dream Induced Lucid Dreaming (DILD)
1) Dream Recall
Its no good having lucid dreams if you cant remember them! The easiest way to improve this is to start a dream journal. While it might sound cheesy it really works. Keep it by your bed and jot down as much as you can remember each time you wake up. It will only take a few minutes and is really worth it. Pay attention not only to plot, but colors, locations, characters etc. Sketching down pictures is always good too. This doesn’t have to be pretty and neat just get to down before it evaporates out of your head. It’s important to do this as soon as you wake up before you start forgetting. Tape recorders work great for this too and you can do it while your getting dressed for example.
2) Identifying dream signs
After a while go back over what you have recorded, repetition strengthens memory. Look for recurring ‘dream signs’ such as common situations, people, places that will help you know your dreaming next time. It can be helpful to highlight any signs you see. Here are some common things to look for.
Action - You, another dream character, or thing does something
unusual or impossible in waking life.
Context - The place or situation in the dream is strange.
Form - You, another character, or thing changes shape, or is oddly
formed /transforms. This may include the presence of
unusual clothing or hair.
Awareness - A peculiar thought, a strong emotion, an unusual
sensation, or altered perceptions.
3) Reality testing
Here’s where we start getting down to business. If you never actually stop to think if you are dreaming or not, how can you expect to ever realize when you actually are? Reality tests do just that. They are simple actions you can do through out the day to test if you are dreaming. The idea is that if you do them enough to make them habit, eventually you will perform one during a dream and bingo! I’m sure you’ve noticed how the previous day’s actions tend to sneak into that night’s dream. Its best to perform one at least every hour or so, or any time you notice a dream sign or things just seem strange or unreal. Some common tests are;
-Look at your digital watch, digital displays will shift or display strange letters when dreaming
-Flip the light switch or use any appliance, they wont work right in dreams.
-Check the time, look away, and check it again. Is it the same time?
-Reading small print, things will shift around etc
There are countless others you can make up. The drawback to this method is it will not actively trigger a lucid dream, just greatly increase your chances of having one. You will never know when and where you will become lucid. The next step is Wake Induced Lucid Dreaming (WILD).
Posted 23 November 2006 - 02:30 PM
Wake Induced Lucid Dreams (WILD)
This tek is much more difficult but much more fun then DILD. You should have at least a few lucid dreams under your belt before trying this. This tek is much more along the lines of meditation and shares similar difficulties and rewards. The goal is to stay conscious until natural dreaming starts.
1) Fall asleep for at least 6 hours or so before attempting. This will help you from falling asleep while trying. A good way is to set your alarm for very early in the morning, get out of bed for at least 45 min then relax and begin. Some ambient light rather then complete darkness will also help from falling asleep.
2) Lay down relaxed on your back. Hold your goal of lucidity in your mind but do not obsess over it. Meditative breathing exercises world well here. Relax and quiet your verbal inner narrative but let the imagery flow.
3) Soon you will begin to enter an altered state. Strange patterns of light or images will start to appear. Auditory hallucinations are common at this point. Do not let them distract you, just accept them and let it flow. Watch but do not focus.
4) If you find yourself losing control and things becoming abstract, you’re at risk of falling asleep. You will need to flex the logic centers of your brain to keep from going under. Try rotating or manipulating the images you see. Visualize some event like riding your bike etc, concentrate on all the senses hearing touch smell as well as vision. At this point imagination should be much more active then normal.
5) As you are about to cross the border into dream world, you will start having strange vibrations through out your body. You are becoming paralyzed. Don’t worry though it happens to all of us each and every night. It’s the natural defense against sleepwalking and such. At this point you are basically there. You will have lost most contact with the outside world and soon the images will collect into a full-blown dream. Just step in and enjoy the ride ☺
The key to this tek is concentration. You must be mindful of your goal but let it come naturally and not force it. It will produce much more vivid dreams then DILD and you will be lucid the entire dream rather then just catching the tail end as in DILD.
Posted 23 November 2006 - 02:45 PM
This will really help the whole process along, and just make you an all around better phychonaut :)
Picture an apple in your head. put as much detail as you possibly can. Now rotate it slowly in your mind, verticaly and horizontaly. Picture your hand reaching out and grabbing it from where its floating in space. See all the tiny rinkles and texture on your hand. Feel the texture of the apple against your skin, feel its weight , its temperature. Now take a big bite from it, keeping the detailed visual picture in you mind the whole time. Imagine the taste. feel the fruit inside your mouth. Imagine how it breaks up as you chew it. still tasting it the whole time. feel the differenct between skin and flesh of the apple in your mouth. Notice the aroma of it in your nose. Now swollow. Then feel yourself throwing the apple against a wall. feel your body move as you do it. see the apple arch through the air and hear it explode against the wall.
The trick here is to try to 'visualize' with more then just your sight. The more sences you have working at the same time in this the better. Its much harder then you think. Fun thing to do when waiting for the bus or a boring meeting. takes only a minuite.