• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 06:47 PM

ok we are new to growing shrooms and have grown pot before i have read shroomery for a week or so and decided on trying pf tek method. with brown rice flour and vermiculite
we bought 2 10 gallon rubber maids and will get a aquarium heater and use this at the icubator with a blanket over top. we are confused on a few things tho. after inculations and incubation u need to use a fruiting chamber heres the questions. we wanna use a aquarium and use the air pump and airstone method of using lava rocks or perlite in the bottom and a airstone to bubble the water to have humidity and o2. do u need grow rocks or perlite or can u use regualar fish tank rocks natural colored? just curious as we don't want to case it just start new and use the 1/2 pint cakes.also for the fruiting is it ok to use a cfl flouro light like 4 hours a day? or so? i really want to learn easy basics and have been reading just need a lil point in the right direction but this is are idea so far? also we were gonna put intin a cabinet. can u have the fruiting chamber and inoc chamber in the same cab? if u block the light out of the inoc chamber? hope u guys can help em out! also i was thinking of raphsters spores? any help asap will be greatly appreciated!

#2 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 06:54 PM

ok we are new to growing shrooms and have grown pot before i have read shroomery for a week or so and decided on trying PF TEK method. with brown rice flour and vermiculite
we bought 2 10 gallon rubber maids and will get a aquarium heater and use this at the icubator with a blanket over top. we are confused on a few things tho. after inculations and incubation u need to use a fruiting chamber heres the questions. we wanna use a aquarium and use the air pump and airstone method of using lava rocks or Perlite in the bottom and a airstone to bubble the water to have humidity and o2. do u need grow rocks or Perlite or can u use regualar fish tank rocks natural colored? just curious as we don't want to case it just start new and use the 1/2 pint cakes.also for the fruiting is it ok to use a cfl flouro light like 4 hours a day? or so? i really want to learn easy basics and have been reading just need a lil point in the right direction but this is are idea so far? also we were gonna put intin a cabinet. can u have the fruiting chamber and inoc chamber in the same cab? if u block the light out of the inoc chamber? hope u guys can help em out! also i was thinking of raphsters spores? any help asap will be greatly appreciated!

#3 BigStemz

BigStemz

prophet of peace

• Expired Member
  • 596 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 07:23 PM

perilite is used to hold humidity, so no regular fish tank stones will not work. you do not want the shrooms growing out of it anyways, the cakes should be placed on something IE jar lid, or aluminum foil. 4 hours a day of light is enough, but u dont want your FC getting to hot. i would advise you use a low wattage bulb, remember it doesnt have to be much light! they only need a lilbit to point them in the rite direction. and you say you want a innoc chamber and FC = fruiting chamber , in the same cabinet, that could b done, but i would think it would b easier for you to build a cheap glove box, with mayb a clear big tubberware storeage tub, or a cardboard box with a piece of clear plastic on top. but i have a feeling u mean the inubation chamber and FC in the same cabinet. Is that correct? if thats what u mean it may b hard to distingish the temps between the two unless you insulate it seperately, but that seems like alot more work. try a cooler for your incubation chamber. good luck and i may your shrooms grow big just as russian children do!

#4 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 07:39 PM

thanks for the tips. i will get perlite instead. but will the aquarium and the air stones work with perlite for fruiting? how much perlite do u put in the bottom of the aquarium? how much water with it and the airstones? or is there a simpler way to do it? i just wanna grow some shrooms without payin a arm and a leg like a 100 bux or less or so? here this is the incubator we are gonna try to build with the rubber maids http://www.shroomery...or-Simple-Minds click incubation. maybe we seperate the inoc chamber with the fruiting? will the cabinet be good for the fruiting aqaurium? we want to start 10 or 12 half pint jars at a time and then when those are ready to fruit we will start another strain! anyone try raphsters? or is there a better place?

#5 cheshire

cheshire

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 639 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:29 PM

woah lots of questions, ill answer some that i remember reading...

no u cant keep innoc and fruiting chambers as one because mycelium needs temps of around 80-86 F for solid growth and the fruiting needs around 70-76 F so cant keep em together as one

also there growing mycelium doesnt want light and growing mushies enjoy a lil bit even tho u pointed that out temp is still an issue

think best to go with perlite afaik

#6 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:39 PM

ok thanks

#7 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:02 PM

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me ..Best to use lava or perlite for humidification as these have lots of pores/surface area to release water vapour..If you run a bubbler it would be good to have a hygrometer because sometimes they can actually reduce the RH..
The lighting also sounds fine...Gluk w th grow..:)

#8 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:08 PM

ok we are new to growing shrooms and have grown pot before i have read shroomery for a week or so and decided on trying

please take some time to check out our archives and vaults here at mycotopia (blows the available info at shroomery out of the water ;))

PF TEK method. with brown rice flour and vermiculite

good tek. follow it to a tee and you cant go wrong. most important thing to remember when doing anything in this hobby is to not deviate form the instructions at all. do everything verbatim.

we bought 2 10 gallon rubber maids and will get a aquarium heater and use this at the icubator with a blanket over top.

sounds good. any light before frutiing time can stimulate them to start fruiting prematurely, but the light thing isnt as important as shroomery's faq may have cvracked it up to be.
as cheshire said, temps are more important, but a FOAF has never used any temps over 82 degrees or so, tops. 86 is very high and you can even get away with normal room temps for colonization of mycelium, but for the spores to germinate, you want temps of about 80 degrees and no less.
once growth starts u can shut off the heater if u have to,
or if u are getting contamination problems definitely try a room temp incubator, as the higher the temp the more risk for contamination to take hold. just as mushroom mycelium grows more rapidly in warm temps, so do molds and bacterium.
if wanting to fruit these invitro u want to give them light once growth starts in the jars, so a blanket would not be needed.

we are confused on a few things tho. after inculations and incubation u need to use a fruiting chamber heres the questions. we wanna use a aquarium and use the air pump and airstone method of using lava rocks or Perlite in the bottom and a airstone to bubble the water to have humidity and o2. do u need grow rocks or Perlite or can u use regualar fish tank rocks natural colored? just curious as we don't want to case it just start new and use the 1/2 pint cakes.

:eusa_naug totally not needed. just buy a bag of perlite form the hardware or garden store, moisten it with tap water, and fill the bottoms of the fruiting chambers 1-2" of damp perlite on the bottom. no airstones are needed. this is a self-humidifying aquarium, and will create the best environment for cakes.(95-100% relative humidity). dont overcomplicate things. follow the PF tek exactly and u wont fail, but if u do, dont give up. failure is very common in the beginning, and even for pros.

also for the fruiting is it ok to use a cfl flouro light like 4 hours a day? or so?

yes thats fine. any type of light willwork on any light schedual. unlike green plants, mushrooms do not use light to create energy, they just need it to know which way is up.

i really want to learn easy basics and have been reading just need a lil point in the right direction but this is are idea so far?

keep reading.
here.

also we were gonna put intin a cabinet. can u have the fruiting chamber and inoc chamber in the same cab? if u block the light out of the inoc chamber?

inoc. chamber? u mean incubator? sure, liek i said earlier they can incubate at room temps if u keep em warm tillt hey sprout white growth, the warmer they are the faster they colonize, generaly speaking. for fruiting they are very versatile as far as temps go, IME. only time u need to really worry is while still in the jar, where both extreme cold, or hot temps can screw ya

hope u guys can help em out! also i was thinking of raphsters spores? any help asap will be greatly appreciated!

ralph is an excellent choice, has a special this month, and is a sponsor here. check out the marketplace forum here to see his christmas special :)
good luck!

#9 alounacara

alounacara

Picktish Texas Style...

• OG VIP
  • 2,779 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:29 PM

Definatley go with Ralph for your spores

#10 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:34 PM

thanks everyone u guys have been really helpful! i will post updates once we start! i hope we can pull it off! i didn't kno it was that easy to just use perlite so we will set everythign up and grab some ralphies up and get goin!

#11 Soliver1

Soliver1

Deranged

• Expired Member
  • 631 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:49 PM

All you need is a tub with some damp perlite at the bottom (1.5 inches or so) and something to put your cakes on... birth the cakes to the terrarium / tub, open and mist / fan 3x / day, and that's it.

You can tweak this very easy setup as you see fit after you get better at it, and are able to judge what environment you need to maintain, etc.

Ralphster is a great guy, as are all our sponsors :)

soliver

#12 BigStemz

BigStemz

prophet of peace

• Expired Member
  • 596 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:49 PM

w0rd

#13 grace

grace

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:49 PM

the cakes should be placed on something IE jar lid, or aluminum foil.

That is something i found first time out. My cakes tend to do better when raised up off of perlite by grating or other device. Used a pie/cookie cooling rack with moistened perlite up to just under the rack 'bout a half inch. It kept the cakes happy and allowed for growth all over the cake.

#14 eternalfrost

eternalfrost

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 811 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:09 AM

check out the monotub section in the archives. the stuff you described in your first post is sort of 'old fashoned' now adays and much more complicated then it needs to be. basicaly a rubermaid container with some poly-fil stuffed holes and damp perlite inside will work just fine with no need for expensive gadgets or much attention

#15 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:13 AM

http://mycotopia.net...tachmentid=9257

merged your thread from general discussions into this one for ya

#16 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:15 AM

thanks i accidentally posted in this fungi board instead of the general the 1st post i did. sorry for having 2 posts

#17 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 04:38 PM

hey my friend got a coffee grinder and he will make his own brf. as we hear fresh is better.is there a certain or better kind of brown rice to use? we decided 100% and will use the 2 10 gallon rubbermaids with the water and aquarium heater in the botttom as the incubator . but wondered if this was a good fruiting chamber since he already got the terranium? (scroll half way down the page)http://archives.myco...html?1076972328 i think its called a double chamber or something. sorry i am new to this?also perlite is hard to find here in the winter and i read u can use damp paper towels instead? will this work or no? . so basically in fruiting u set the cake on the lid or off the ground and u just mist the walls (not the cake) and fan it a few times during the day with a few hours of light and it should be all good? can't wait to get all the stuff and get going! will post pix and stuff when he does

#18 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:15 PM

sorry for so many questions but i searched and searched and can't find out how much vermiculite u need for 24 1/2 pint jars? i am gonna haveto buy offline and pay a arm and leg for shipping but nowhere around here has any only in the summer! any cheap places online to buy some? maybe should buy bulk lmao

#19 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:35 PM

for verm. >> www.mycrotopia.com

#20 SnakeMan

SnakeMan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:38 PM

i got my vermiculite at lowes go there and you will see the perlite as well. Also when you got your mushies growing you can get some damprid for drying there in the paint section. That is a little more down the road but thought i would add that in there.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!