• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:03 PM

Damp paper towels will work just fine. Not super wet, just damp. Don't let water pool up.

Give the terrarium fresh air 3 times per day. When you give fresh air, use a plant mister to put a light mist on the inside walls and lid of the terrarium. Use a piece of cardboard to fan out the stale air and put in fresh.

A plastic cake plate makes a nice terrarium for four PF Cakes:
http://mycotopia.net...ead.php?t=14748

Good luck!!!

#22 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:33 PM

thanks again! keep u posted!

#23 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:57 PM

ok my friend grabbed some vermiculite and perlite online. he also grabbed 2 clear rubbermaids for the fruitin chambers and said screw the aquariums since they were dirty from being outside all year. he will use 1 and a half inches or so of perlite on the bottom of the rubbermaids for humidity. all he needs now is an aquarium heater for the incubator tub and spores! so within a week or 2 everything should be a go.after much reading pf tek seems pretty simple as basically sterilization seems to be the key part.. one question tho. if he orders spores now and its winter out will the syringes freeze or screw up because they are shipped in 30 degree weather? just curious as he don't wanna screw the syringes up. i would think it might not hurt it since u are suppose to keep um cold anyways but just wanna be 100 percent

#24 SnakeMan

SnakeMan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 10:45 PM

use the search function and type in frozen syringe. I have seen it before and from what i remember they should be fine plus it is not like you are going to leave then frozen for a long time.

#25 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:11 PM

guess i should of been smart enought to think of that! damn pot

#26 SnakeMan

SnakeMan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:17 PM

i wouldnt worry about it. It just seems to me that if more people would try to look it up first and then ask there wouldnt be as many repeat posts. There have been several times where i looked something up and ended up learning a whole lot more. Most people on these boards dont mind. I have been to other boards where they are really harsh on people that dont use the search function.

#27 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:06 PM

ya i have been reading the archives everyday now since i found this place. so much i actually dream of mushrooms? lmao. no lie. ya i been on other forums where people hate on you for askin a question when u are just trying to learn something. ya for some reason I just asked instead of looked it up. now lookin it up i see mixed opinions tho. some say it will mess it up. some say as long as its not completely frozen and some say it still can work? oh well guess my foaf will have to find out for himself. thats kinda why I asked too.I figured it might of happened to one of u guys. keep ya posted. just waiting on the verm and perlite to come and then he needs the spores then its game on! good luck guys i hope my foaf has the same.

#28 viraljimmy

viraljimmy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:55 PM

Submitted for your approval -
http://mycotopia.net...ead.php?t=16119
My tubs with no perlite or fanning.

#29 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:11 PM

awesome keep it up!!!

#30 SnakeMan

SnakeMan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 09:31 PM

GL Shroomtastic b sure to keep us posted.

#31 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,993 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:10 PM

guess i should of been smart enought to think of that! damn pot

I hear ya! I hate it when that devil's weed leaps into my bong and makes me forget something! It happens at least once a day.

You might want to fruit at least some of your jars invitro. That way if there is some unforseen bad event you will still almost certainly get enough for a good trip or two. You have to juggle humidity, fresh air exchanges, light, and temperature and when you mess with one variable it affects the others. This is accomplished rather easily with a number of proven fruiting chamber designs, but rookie growers often mess with things too much, in effect loving them to death.

And with frozen syringes, unless it's being trucked through Minnesota in January my money's on most freeze-ups happening in the recipient's mailbox. So know when your mail arrives and be there on time!

Good Luck!

#32 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 03:07 PM

thanks guys!! yesterday the foaf sent out for the ralphsters christmas special!! hopefully it will not freeze even tho I believe it could easily with the temps in the 20's and 30's all week. if it does its a lesson learned i guess. But he will still try um. but what can u do? wait till summer instead? my foaf would rather gamble a lil hard earned greenbacks on getting um early.. too bad he just learned about this in the wrong season haha. so everythings pretty ready and withing 2 weeks or less we should see something. so now its all in do time. hes just curious what one to start 1st? although the december sotm is cambodian!!! says it colonizes very fast? maybe that sounds good for a 1st timer? i also see alot of people saying its there fav

#33 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,993 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2006 - 05:36 PM

It just occurred to me that if freezing syringes are a concern, then just order prints instead.

#34 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:06 PM

too late now i guess as he sent out.. ya he don't kno about prints just read about pf tek and syringes. how do u use a print to gro? do u have to make your own syringes? the syringe seems the simplest way. oh well screw it. the worst that can happen is he won't have any mushrooms and hell he ain't got any now so what is there to lose? 40 bux? hell i've pissed away 40 bux on stupid stuff. so i am sure my foaf thinks its worth the try anyways. so how can freezing kill the spores but u have to keep um in the fridge to stay good? how do shroom spores survive the winter to live again?? oh well if its screwed up he will just wait till its summer i guess?

#35 max

max

canadian

• Banned Member
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:17 PM

Frozen syringes work fine.

#36 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 04:42 PM

good to kno! thnx man for the info my foaf was getting a lil worried.
i am bout to check out sporelab

#37 SnakeMan

SnakeMan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 05:56 PM

get ready man it is so much fun watchin your own grow very rewarding just dont get discouraged if you get alot of contams everyone does the first time. Hell my first time i had none survie

#38 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 06:35 PM

from what i've read so far seems contams are more of a problem during inncoulatation and incubation but once u get a fully developed cake they are pretty tough right? I say if u don't suceed try and try again

#39 SnakeMan

SnakeMan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 05:47 PM

yeah once the cake get fully colonized it is a lot harder to get contams. And the shrooms seems to grow inches in the matter of hours. Ill go to work come back at the end of the day and man sometimes i think it is a miracle that they can grow so fast.

#40 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:03 PM

so snake man u say the 1st time u got alot of contams. what do u think u did wrong? should we build a glove box? or just sterilize the jars, then clean down everything real good, then make sure u heat the needle tip and all the good stuff and be real careful would it work? whats your advice?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!