56 replies to this topic

#41 SnakeMan

SnakeMan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:11 PM

There are many reasons why i got contams:

1. I did not take my time. I read read and read but when itcame down to the nitty gritty i thought i knew how to do it and figured that it would work no matter what i did. I was wrong.

2. I think that some of my spores where bad but i dont have 100% proof of that.

3. Sometimes it just happens, you can ask anyone on this board and i bet they will tell you the same. No matter how experienced you are sometimes shit happens but it is not about how many times you fail it is how many times you succed and try to learn from your mistakes. I learned alot the first time i grew. One is that i need a PC. I steamed jars and have had success but it is time consuming and it is not the best. PCing is the way to go.

I personally dont use a glovebox but i am one of the few. Most people swear by them. I personally would make one. The next time i am def getting one. I would look in the archvies under sterilizing a room. Just be careful and follow directions to a T. Make sure that you read over them a couple of times and if you have a laptop bring up the page or print it out so that you can follow step by step. you seem to have a good grasp on what to do. Just remember that if you dont get it right the first time to try again. I got so discouraged when i did not have any grow. I would come on this site and read how everyone had success and would get mad reading it. I finally decided that i know i can do it. So i took out one of the syringes i had left made some jars and followed everything to a T. Guess what it worked and i was so damn stoked. It is very very very rewarding when you can eat your own. GL and make sure to keep us informed. Sorry for the long post got on a roll there and just kept on typing.

#42 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 05:06 PM

thanks for the tips my foaf is still waiting on the perlite and verm from mycrotopia and the spores! should be here any day

#43 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:51 PM

my foaf just received his spores from ralphster! really fast shipping! a few days only! no freezing as it heated up here today! he put them in the fridge in a tupperware container. he is just waiting on the perlite and vermiculite he got from mycrotopia but it ain't came yet. he paid dec 1st and still nothing! just waiting on it to come.hopefully asap!!!! then he will post pix throughout and u will see the hopefully contamless jars..... hopefully .... well he don't have a pressure cooker but was gonna use a big pot with a lid. and steam them. how long do u steam them for? some say 60 min soem say 90? how long so he don't over dry um

#44 SnakeMan

SnakeMan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:12 PM

i do mine for around 90. Your not going to dry them out just make sure that you put a towel or something on the bottom of the pot so that the jars dont break. make sure that you cover pretty good so that you dont get water in them. there are a couple of teks in the valuts. sometimes no matter what you do there will be one jar or so that gets water no biggie just dont innoc that one. make sure that you allow them to cool before innocin. i will look for the thread that i used and post it here so that you can follow it.

#45 SnakeMan

SnakeMan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:25 PM

here is one of the links from there you can read all sorts of stuff about it. http://archives.myco...html?1006275362

it says steam for around an hour, i do mine anywhere from 75-90 but atleast an hour i would say. Most of the time that i hit near the 90 min mark is cause i either forget or open the lid often to check water to make sure it is not low

#46 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 02:51 PM

my foaf was still wating on mycotopia to send. he went to the local store and they had verm and perlite both. he grabbed them up. last night he made the jars up and steamed for an hour and 10 minutes.
he let cool all night to set up the incubation chamber and will hopefully inocculate today. he followed the pf tek booklet in the vaults. used the max fruiting formula and hopefully there will be no contams. crossing fingers. hell 1st time could eb a charm! only thing he noticed was the vermiculite seemed kinda fine compared tot he perlite. also the 1/2 cup verm to 1/4th brown rice flour and 1/4th cup water seamed to make more than could be used for one half pint? hopefully results we be shown in a few days! keep u posted!!! if he fails he will try try again and try to tweek it. the mixture seemed perfect tho and he added a lil bee pollen also as he read it helps potency? well wish my foaf luck!!!
he will need it now!!!

#47 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:10 PM

foaf innoculated 10 jars with cambodian spores! icubation chamber so far at 74 degrees. hopefully he will see mycellium growth in 2 to 3 days or so. wish my foaf good luck! try to get some pics soon one way or another
good or bad.

#48 Mycolangelo

Mycolangelo

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 394 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:32 PM

What did you say you used for an incubator?
FOAF just has a large ice chest with a heat bomb, works perfect.
Do a search for the heat bomb

#49 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 01:10 AM

for incubator foaf has 1 10 gallon rubbermaid with a 25 watt heater with another 10 gallon above it. water inside just up to 3/4 th way water temp is 84 f and temp so far is 74 f inside cab so far and he is watching and watching for temp change. one thing he learned from mistakes is that the holes he made were a lil smaller than the needle! a lil quick flick of a knife point alcholed over of course made the holes just enough size for needle. heated needle until glowing hot with alcohol flame and then shook and innoculated each jar with 1cc each even in 4 points. maybe he messed up 1st jar as needle holes were wrong and only 2 holes fit he just put the same amount into those 2 holes instead of 4 holes. he learned alot form this time and if growth continues he will post pix in the grow diary forum part. if not he will still post pix like said above. if hes worried or whatever he will show pix for your opinions. he tried to be sanitary but basically used the top of the rubbermaid soaked in alcohol as the plate and set jars on top and inncoulated. he wiped hands in pure 70% iso alch. set into the rubber made incubation chamber that was also soaked in alcohol 1st. hope it was steamed long enough and is sterile if not he ahs 4 more strains left and he can try again knowing the basic as the best way to learn is your own mistakes with someon at least pointing the way.

#50 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 12:48 PM

incubator temp still holding steady at 74 to 75 degrees. will check on them in a few days

#51 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 07:34 PM

ok incubator is 80 degrees now as i read 75 is kinda low. whats your reccomend incubator temps?? also!!!! my foaf says he sees white growth!!!!:headbang: :eusa_clap yay!!! hopes its mycelium and not contams!!! hell at least somethings growing for his 1st time!! lol he says he notices that some have 4 spots growing in each jar and some have only 3 spots or less tho. maybe no spores inncoulated thos spots or somehting? who knos . well keep u posted maybe get some pix as he don't have a cam but knos someone who does!!!

#52 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,112 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 December 2006 - 07:49 PM

80 degrees is just fine. Keep a close eye on the temp in there, since as the jars get closer to being colonized they will generate their own heat, and if your incubator is well insulated it might get too hot. I personally try to avoid going higher than 80. From your description and without pics I'd say you got a 99% probability that you're seeing mycelium and not contams.

Sometimes there isn't any growth at all from an inoculation point, and sometimes it's just got fewer spores there and it takes an extra day or two to see the growth. Shooting spores in before the needle has cooled completely from being flamed is a common problem that prevents germination as well. I've re-shot a jar that showed no signs of growth at all after a week and it worked fine (my spores were very old that time, re-shot the jar with a different strain).

#53 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:30 PM

thanx for the tips. my foaf got a camera now and will have some pix up in a day or 2

#54 SnakeMan

SnakeMan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 04:46 PM

Any Updates??

#55 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:51 PM

ok today is the bday for some. he will birth and double end case. sorry for not updating as he went and looked at um and only a few were full looking and some were full but not strong liek the others and the rest had the bottoms not ready so he flipped those over. now he needs to birth the ones that were ready. when they were ready he waited the 3 days more so it is actually day 23 now or so. kinda late i think. oh well i will have some pix later! he is gonna put um in the perlite fruiting chamber today. how much perlite should he use? a inch and a half or so? and how much water? should he add some peroxide to the water? he don't wanna screw up. also before he births should u sterilize the double end casing verm?

#56 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:08 PM

Sounds like things are going well!

An inch of Perlite is plenty. ½ inch should be enough. You just need enough to cover the chamber floor, really. The Perlite should NOT be dripping wet. Cakes should not sit directly on the Perlite.

Add water to Perlite FIRST and then add Perlite to tub. Again, just get it moist, not dripping. Some Peroxide won’t hurt at all.

No need to sterilize verm or perl unless the bag has been sitting around open for a long time. When new, they are both quite clean.

If you have access to any coir, a little in the DEC verm will help pinning.

#57 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:42 PM

thx

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!