• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cypres

cypres

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:18 AM

I plan on purchasing a grain based MycoBag from www.sporeworks.com I also plan to purchase some Ausi Pan Cyans from the same site. Now I understand with these spawn bag (first time user or spawn bags) you just inject your spore solution into the bag and let the myc colonize. On the site it states that only 1-3cc of spore solution is needed. Can I use the full syringe for faster growth? I then plan to mix the fully colonized spawn bag and mix it with 20 lbs of 50/50 straw/poo mix .
My thoughts were to just mix the colonized spawn bag (1.25lbs) with the 50/50 mix in a heavy duty trash bag and incubate. Or is there a better way to colonize the 50/50 mix? And my third and final question is about casing. I had just planned to take the colonized 50/50 mix and spread in out in my rubermaid container. I also plan to purchase a Warm Mist Humidifier from Walmart. Is there a better casing method I should look into. Also I believe pan cyans like a slightly warmer and more humid climate. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance,

Kirt

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:24 AM

1 pound of spawn to 20 pounds of straw/poo is pretty skimpy,
you should use at least a few more spawn bags for that much.

btw
your post/thread has been slightly edited to remove the link/reference to
the non-sponsor tennstud website. you should tell them that they should become a sponsor at Topia so their products can be freely discussed.

#3 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:51 AM

I wouldn't use more than 5 cc per bag...The time saved by using more solution is minimal ,being as u can massage the bag to spread the myc..
Best to start small with Pans and work your way up...

#4 cypres

cypres

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 04:39 PM

After reading my post and the replies, I have realized how foolish of me it was to think I could take a pound of "mycobag" and mix it to 20lbs of 50/50 poo/straw. After searching the internet more, I came across a certain "Mushroom Box" website that sells their version of a "Mycobag." Now their bags are of rye berries, BUT a 3lb pre-pasturized bag is only $20. I wnet ahead and purchased one of these 3lb bags and am still looking to find an alternative to the STUD mix from TENN. Anyone have any comparativly priced leads? Is my ratio of approx 3lbs rye berries to 20 lbs or so of either "mushroom compost" or dung/straw mix? Or what about just straw? I know that straight straw produces piles of large shrooms.... any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Kirt

#5 cypres

cypres

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:00 PM

no on has any suggestions at all? im new to the pans and was hoping to receive gobs of info about them and better growing teks. Thanks in advance,

Kirt

#6 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:30 PM

um... ok... well you questions are kind of unorganized so it's kind of hard to organize an answer.
first off.. a spawn to bulk ratio that is generaly seen as max for cubies is 1:5, but since pans colonize quicker you could probibly get aways with 3lbs to 20lbs bulk.
as for how where to get the bulk substrait, both hippie and captainmax sell bulk substraits.
to colonize it i would go ahead and mix it with the colonized rye in the container you plan on fruiting in. then casing with 1/2in of a mix of cactus soil and verm, such as waylitjim does.
as for the temps and humidity, they do prefer slightly warmer temps, but as with any casing 85-90% humidity is best, and unlike cubies they require many more air exchanges a day.
lost

#7 cypres

cypres

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:01 PM

Thanks Lost and I just had a very long post typed and when I went to post it there must have been a problem... cause now it isnt posted and is gone...

I have had successful grows before in the past from LC to spawn to hpoo/straw. Now I am trying Pan cyans... I have ordered the syringe and the myco bag... suggestiong on tek and bulk substrait are what i really need i gues.. thanks in advance,

Kirt

#8 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:32 PM

Hopefully you will have some luck,but my advice is to start small,and make a couple of casings,because one 20 lbs big casing container will give a smaller yield then a couple of smaller ones.
And it will be a big dissapointment if everything failes.

But I still like the idea of a big container and love to see some grow log soon !

Good luck !

#9 cypres

cypres

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:14 PM

Yea I actually plan to break it up into 5 smaller casings... and im saving around 3cc of spores to make an LC with... I am taking pictures and keeping a log for personal needs.... so I will be posting a grow log. I think that i may use a 70% straw/ 30% hpoo mix for there fact that I know pans dont have as large a yield. What do you think i should expect from 5 casing at 4lbs a piece.

#10 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:21 PM

for there fact that I know pans dont have as large a yield. What do you think i should expect from 5 casing at 4lbs a piece.

These Pans don't give a big yeild if you talk in grams,but there strong and you don't need alot of substrate for a good pinset !
So,at the end..They basicly will give you alot more yield then cubies !

Lbs. is not important,surface area is..!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!