• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 petri

petri

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 02:23 PM

I am wanting to know if heat kills spores, fungi imperfecti, bacteria, and bacterial spores 100% and reliably. The heat being abt 250 degrees farenheit.

#2 Guest_smokalotapotamus_*

Guest_smokalotapotamus_*

Posted 09 February 2005 - 07:05 PM

Not all of em. I think I read 99.9% (which actually leaves a lot of spores alive). Ideally, mushroom myc will fully colonize the substrate before the surviving spores germinate.

#3 Guest_rodger_*

Guest_rodger_*

Posted 09 February 2005 - 07:11 PM

Temps far below boiling will kill fungi spores. The higher temps in the PC are needed to kill the bacterial endospores. Some seem to always survive however, and that's why there is such a narrow window of opportunity to get your grains colonized.

#4 Guest_taoist_*

Guest_taoist_*

Posted 09 February 2005 - 07:38 PM

I think I read 99.9% (which actually leaves a lot of spores alive)

Not only is it 1/1000 (having billions to begin with), but they're the tough guys (lasted through a pressure cooking). Little bastards...maybe one day when I'm tripping I can have a great battle with an endospore and finally win...

#5 Guest_jeklhyd_*

Guest_jeklhyd_*

Posted 09 February 2005 - 11:42 PM

Take aya and it will be like "Blueberry".

#6 Guest_spin_*

Guest_spin_*

Posted 11 February 2005 - 10:02 PM

What about in a PF jar?
Will PC temps kill em all in a PF jar?

#7 Guest_rodger_*

Guest_rodger_*

Posted 11 February 2005 - 10:12 PM

PC temps may not kill them all, but they get enough of them to allow you to inoculate with mushroom mycelium or spores. Just don't wait too long after sterilization.

#8 pskovinsky

pskovinsky

Ex-chat M0d of Doom, y3

• Expired Member
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:44 PM

I found a list somewhere that had the times required to kill everything(or at least 99.999 i think, or something like enough, enough to be declared steril+ for medical work), at various temps.

Boiling was about 12 hours.
PC temps of 250 i think it was about five.
300 degrees it was down to an hourish i think
it eventually got up to 700ish, which took a good minute.

#9 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:54 PM

IME the PC does a great job but you can not let your jars wait around before you pc them (like RR said), you must PC as soon as possible after making jars to avoid any germination of the unwanted, green mold like trich that is visible will likely not be completely destroyed by PC if the green spores are visible..... id say a day maybe two can be waited before PCing new jars.....anything more will allow molds/bacteria/fungi imperfecti to germinate.........the pc will kill most but things like trich will have some that make it through the pc stage and eventually bother your future grows.........at least IME....good luck, sterilize them as soon as ossible IMO

#10 Guest_taoist_*

Guest_taoist_*

Posted 12 February 2005 - 11:46 AM

This thread reminded me that I have a bucket of rye soaking in weak coffee that I forgot in my basement a good week ago. Speaking of endospore germination....eeeewwww...Posted Image...I'm going to get stoned and try to build up the courage to go dump what is most likely now a coffee-rye sludge out.

#11 pskovinsky

pskovinsky

Ex-chat M0d of Doom, y3

• Expired Member
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 01:56 PM

I'm trying to find the chart i mentioned earlier, but this link is as close as i can get..

It's pretty technical, not a simple chat, but it has some interesting info in it:
http://www.ees9.com/f0.htm

#12 Guest_rodger_*

Guest_rodger_*

Posted 12 February 2005 - 03:09 PM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

I have a bucket of rye soaking in weak coffee that I forgot in my basement a good week ago. Speaking of endospore germination....eeeewwww...<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
Just follow the smell, it shouldn't be hard to find.

#13 Guest_somecallme..._*

Guest_somecallme..._*

Posted 13 February 2005 - 03:32 PM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Boiling was about 12 hours.
PC temps of 250 i think it was about five.
300 degrees it was down to an hourish i think
it eventually got up to 700ish, which took a good minute.
<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

LOL, at my place of work we mess with a lot of chemicals, but we never worry about the organics because the high temperatures. Above 600 to 700 degrees (CELCIUS --which would be about 1100 to 1300 F) all the carbon in any living cell starts to come off as CO2 or CO and the rest becomes ash. High Temp Furnaces are FUN!! Posted Image

Not really relavent...but fun to think how many endospores are being sent to a fiery grave. Posted Image MWWUUUUAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAAA!!

Posted Image

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!