• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 altered_states

altered_states

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:31 AM

I'm just a few days away from beginning, "Straw Wars Part IV, A New Hope". The last three turned to The Dark Green Side. Fortunately my droid, G1 escaped the Imperial Storm Tricher infested Dark Star with some excellent master DAT's.

Shortly after landing on Alderaan, G1 was attacked by a pack of hooded little bastards with glowing eyes, so I smoked some Tatooine Hash with the thugs until their eyes turned squinty and red. This was our chance for escape. We walked away while they were mesmerized by their own glowing eyes.

We ran out of hash (those little guys can smoke) and decided to visit my good friend, Ben "One-Hit" Kenobi. He had lost his lighter and was smoking a bong with a Lightsaber when we arrived. He managed to pass me the bong and light it without even moving, muttering all the while about some force or something. I had apparently smoked way too much hash.

I ignored my hallucinations and asked Ben, "Do you feel like pasteurizing straw?"
"After one more bong", said Ben while coughing up his other lung.
"Marvelous", I replied. "Which way do you want do it this time?", I asked Ben. He had already forgotten what we were talking about so I went to the Mycointergalactic Web Forums for some sound advice.

I had trashed all of my old 'Maids to prevent the Dark Green Side from gaining a foothold on my new planet and found myself searching for a way to pasteurize straw. I was trying to decide whether to drop some $$ on a big cooler, get a Wagner Fusion Steamer 3000, etc. when Chewy replied to my forum post, giving me his opinion on the most up-to-date, and most effective pasteurization methods. He didn't want to see my fourth project fail, but could only grunt and groan, and I don't speak Wookie.

What do you think, friends? I like the combination of 170F H2O and Hydrated Lime. The Dark Green Side tends to stay away.

I thought I would ask for some advice in English concerning which method to use. I'm spending money on supplies today and I really like the convenience of the steamer. Are the results generally better than a hot water and lime bath? If using the steamer, one would simply add the Lime to the soak water, correct? Has this method been tested thoroughly enough to find out whether a Wagner is as effective as a hot water bath?

TMC mentions live steam for 2-4 hours at 140-150F before saying, "The method best suited to the home cultivator is the hot water bath." I'm fairly certain that Stamets and Chilton didn't have a Wagner in mind when they wrote this.

The Wagner is much easier for my current living situations, but I'm not willing to sacrifice ANY amount of quality to make things easier.

Thank You and May The Force be with you.

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:58 AM

the steamer is certainly better than a chemical bath in hot water,
imo.
have you seen this-
http://www.mycotopia...icle.php?21.255

you want to build something similar,
just don't run it so long
unless you want compost
;)

#3 altered_states

altered_states

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 12:33 PM

Thank you Hippie! Best link ever! I can't believe that I never found that page. I am buying the supplies for one today. Do you recommend the Vicks warm mist vaporizer as stated in the article or a Wagner power steamer? I'll almost certainly be using more than one of these setups. Can one Wagner power several composters? I assume that one would need a Vicks for each cooler. Correct? I'm trying to figure out which setup works best and is the most cost effective.

#4 altered_states

altered_states

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 12:34 PM

One more thing... Can dehydrated or composted manure be substituted for fresh?

#5 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 01:00 PM

Do you recommend the Vicks warm mist vaporizer as stated in the article or a Wagner power steamer? I'll almost certainly be using more than one of these setups. Can one Wagner power several composters? I assume that one would need a Vicks for each cooler. Correct?

i used a steamer
but never grew enough to merit
hooking it up to multiple chambers
so i don't know how many it might handle.

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 01:01 PM

Can dehydrated or composted manure be substituted for fresh?

by all means,
you don't want really fresh,
better to dry it first if it's horse,
cow benefits from a little aging as well.

#7 altered_states

altered_states

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 01:50 PM

I apologize, I wasn't specific enough in my last question. I was refering to store bought dehydrated or composted manure.

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 01:55 PM

i kinda figured that's what you meant,
it's ok if it's pure

#9 altered_states

altered_states

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 02:03 PM

Excellent. The composted manure was on sale at Wally World so I picked up a few bags. The reason I asked about multiple containers is that I intend to make a straw log and I will need more pasteurized straw than one cooler is capable of holding. I'm guessing that I'll need 3 styrofoam coolers to hold enough straw for a log. Does that sound about right?

Pure= No Humus???

#10 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 02:31 PM

seems like your questions been answered to your satisfaction. id just like to say im trying the bleach/lime water straw tek, so ill keep you posted on that, and i wanted to also tell you that i enjoyed your first post . :D it was pretty fun to read.

#11 sinthetic

sinthetic

i party like a rock star

• Expired Member
  • 872 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 02:44 PM

USE THE FORCE!

nice work of fiction. I'd like to hear more. Maybe some illustrations?

#12 altered_states

altered_states

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 03:36 PM

The resistance against The Dark Green Side is a battle that may never come to an end. The Dark Star must be destroyed before the Red States of the Empire steal another elec.... I mean destroy another pla... No no. What I meant to say is Before the Pres... (cough, cough)... Emperor eradicates the remaining Rebel Strongholds, taking absolute control over the entire galaxy. ('s oil supply.)

#13 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 05:39 PM

The reason I asked about multiple containers is that I intend to make a straw log and I will need more pasteurized straw than one cooler is capable of holding. I'm guessing that I'll need 3 styrofoam coolers to hold enough straw for a log. Does that sound about right?

i suppose that would depend on the
size of the log and the cooler.

#14 petri

petri

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:14 PM

How much does a wagner steamer cost? Wally world told me Vicks stopped making that warm humidifier. I bought another unit which proved to be a waste of $, not hot enough. Girlfriend took it when I could not bend it to my evil ways, so I couldn't return it. I should have seen that coming and tried that unit while she was gone.

#15 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:20 PM

you can sometimes get them pretty cheap
reconditioned or on ebay
about $50 i think for factory reconditioned one

#16 petri

petri

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 12:05 AM

Who would you contact for a reconditioned unit Hippie, Wagner?

#17 altered_states

altered_states

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 12:42 AM

i suppose that would depend on the
size of the log and the cooler.

The log would be constructed using 7" diameter FoodSaver tubing. Aside from the tubing, everything is exactly as described in Rodger's Log TEK.

The only problem is the hydrated lime. I haven't figured out how to get the pH to increase without soaking the straw in a lime bath before steaming. The composter DIY instructions state that the straw is to be placed into the styrofoam cooler dry.

Do you think that a lime soak followed by draining the straw overnight in a plastic bag then steaming would work? If so, how long of a lime soak and in what temperature water. I suppose that I'd just stir it frequently during the soak to allow the straw and lime to mix as much as possible.

Would this be a waste of time? I'm not into wasting time. Somebody kick me before I start working if it is a waste. My weed wacker isn't here and I have a bail of straw that needs to be shredded. This is gonna be a bitch.

Anybody tried sawing slices of straw from a tight bail? How did it work out and what type of saw do you recommend? I'm planning on trying the saw with the smallest teeth first.

#18 karlfinn

karlfinn

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 08:13 AM

"Anybody tried sawing slices of straw from a tight bail? How did it work out and what type of saw do you recommend? I'm planning on trying the saw with the smallest teeth first."
======================
I have been standing up bales still bound and slicing thru with a decent electric chain saw..about 2-3 inch slices...and keep the chain outta the binder wire!
takes under five minutes to butcher a bale..
and have used veggie oil, canola, as the bar oil, shrooms love the oil..but it is not always needed as with cutting wood. put the bale on a tarp, pick a slightly windy day to keep the dust in motion. and away you go, the elec. saw is quite so the neighbors aren't always snooping and we cut wood all the time anyway..BUT?..
????BTW- anyone else work with any veggie oil in the straw as a protein enhancer,etc.??

note..this straw mix is pre-soaked in a poo mix-bath w/ some lime,etc. for several days to a week depending upon out-door temps..so the straw lengths which are a little long just don't seem to matter
as they are softened and broken with the 'composting' action. good luck ..

#19 karlfinn

karlfinn

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 08:26 AM

Oops, I forgot to say, I spray the bale down with warm water before chain-sawing, as dust control and it seems to cut up better. do not carry straw dust back into your lab, change clothes, shower ...etc...etc..
It all goes in to the 'kitchen' wetted and H2O2'd and in baskets for the big 100 quart pots of steamy water...
mmm...mmm...the smell of simmered straw in the morning....smells like..."victory"
to me! bug me for some pics and I'll get them up.

#20 altered_states

altered_states

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 01:14 PM

I will soon be pasteurizing straw with live steam to build a log. The only problem is lime.

Has anyone tried a lime presoak before steam pasteurization?

The article on building the composter/pasteurizer states that dry straw should be placed inside.

Soak in lime bath and drain overnight?

Soak in lime bath and allow to dry?

Man, could I use some liquid lime.

Any suggestions/experiences are greatly appreciated.
I'll be doing something like this in a few days.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!