• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 penstarfifteen

penstarfifteen

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:25 PM

I was suckered in by a buy One key Get another 1/2 free deal.
HUGE wast of time. Bouncing Bear has alway treated me Right.
:teeth:

BBB has always done me well too!

#22 papalion

papalion

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 211 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 01:57 AM

Acidification is forgiving.. but you don't really need to do it at all..

get a pH meter or strips. go up to pH 11 or >

200gNaOH in 1.5L h20 +550g mhrb(pulverized)
stir like hell
wait a day. add 400ml napthalene (VM&P) wait 2-3days.. evap in shallow dish or use vacuum dist/rotovap, etc. for solvent recovery. gives greatest yields..
though needs 1 more wash compared to freeze precip (<yield)

directly basifying yields are far greater than acid/base extraction... sadly. and quality is pretty equivalent. gives yellow product. freeze precip cystals are clear.. if few.

#23 condo_pygmy

condo_pygmy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:27 AM

Would heat speed up the direct base tek ? :eusa_doh: Rather than waiting a day -
Let's say simmering the direct base / mhrb solution in a crockpot for a few hrs, then add/extract NPS...

#24 peregrinus

peregrinus

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:36 PM

re: no brown foam

Just to clarify, is there a correlation between the "brown foam" quoted above from the Marsofold TEK and the potency of the MHRB or potential yield of the TEK? A friend recently performed a virtually identical extraction with the same amount of bark. Her bark was purchased from BBB, their premium inner root bark. My friend also saw no brown foam, just a rapid transition to inky/oily black with no emulsions.

cheers

#25 condo_pygmy

condo_pygmy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:05 PM

The fact that there was no brown foam emulsions is good, when there is alot of brown foam one can add a little extra base to reduce these emulsions...

#26 peregrinus

peregrinus

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:20 AM

Thanks c_p I'll pass that along...

#27 wudep50

wudep50

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:20 PM

Should the crockpot be covered while the MHRB water-vinegar solution is being heated?

If one were unable to find a glass turkey baster would a plastic or stainless steel one work okay?

thanks

#28 condo_pygmy

condo_pygmy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:47 PM

Yes, cover the crockpot while cooking the brew...
as for the turkey baster any will do, even an eye dropper works just fine...:thumbup:

#29 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,017 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2006 - 01:48 AM

I use an empty syringe...

#30 cheech

cheech

wizard of sorts

• Expired Member
  • 574 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 09:15 AM

i like a big 10 cc syringe that's used for injecting marinade into meats. it gets every last bit of the naptha. works like a mini sep funnel too.

#31 penstarfifteen

penstarfifteen

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:13 AM

You can get a "Fox Run Glass Turkey Baster" from any Ace Hardware store, Here's a link to an online store:
http://www.acehardwa...earchId=1306309
Works like a charm!

#32 wudep50

wudep50

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 12:16 PM

Thanks everyone. I was worried since marsofold specifies the materials to be used a lot in the tek, that maybe there was a reason not to use something other than glass (that it could cause a negative reaction maybe).

Anyway, a FOAF will be doing an extraction very soon. :D Will post results when it's done.

#33 biognosis

biognosis

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:23 PM

ok, folks. hello again. quick update.

swim got his new half kilo. this time from a new batch. last time was a returned cod from the old batch which, i'm assuming, is the one everyone else was complaining about.

good news this time, though. all said and done, swim's yield was 2.25 grams. swim attributes any losses to his own failures, given that this was only his second attempt.

a few minor changes from the first attempt. started with powdered bark, and just did three quick acid soaks by bringing a pot on an electric burner to a simmer, covering, turning off the burner (but leaving the pan on it) and waiting a half hour before straining and repeating. also, swim came upon a small separatory funnel at the local university's surplus store and was able to wash the naptha with 1 x ammonia+baking soda, and 2xdh2o prior to freeze precip. crystals still came out a little yellowed, which didn't happen last time, but no big deal.

probably could have bolstered the yield a bit had swim not thrown away the used bark mush just hours before reading about marsofold's suggestion to go back over it with a straight to base tek. but oh well, compared to the 400mg he got last time, swim is just beaming. :D

i'd take pictures, but i don't have a camera right now. and in any case, you could just photoshop my last picture to add a yellow tint and there you'd have it. :rolleyes:

there will be a taste test tonight. i'll let you kids know how it goes.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!