Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

What is God?

• Please log in to reply
298 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you believe...?

Do you believe...?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#281 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 339 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 07:38 PM

Edited by shiftingshadows, 08 November 2021 - 07:40 PM.

#282 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 339 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 07:41 PM

i believe but as of right now my only outlet consist of only a couple online boards...  its tearing me apart.. the time.. time.. omg the time... i think we go to quaye fields to deal with this much time..       all i know about why for now

I believe I don't believe. But does that mean I really don't believe?

Some do find time boring, but those who are busy generating chi, or enjoying breathing, so to speak, are like the leaves and ducks floating down river, on a nice afternoon, none of whom worry about "why", or "when", or "next".

#283 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 339 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 10:13 AM

..."as of right now my only outlet consist of only a couple online boards"... probably true for many of us due to the covid, virus - but never the less, one may long for contact and understanding. Many artists have only the choices to either compromise  and hide who they are in exchange, for some companionship, however superficial; or on the other hand to remain true to themselves and learn to deal with isolation. Often creativity comes with a high price tag. So it seems some settle for pets.

#284 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 339 posts

Posted 27 November 2021 - 12:51 PM

Meanwhile back on topic:

There is more than one book with the title, taken from a Tibetan buddhist saying:
"No self, No problem"
which like  E=MC squared is pretty succinct, in describing a most important aspect of reality
& like the physics equation, leaves out the unnecessary concept of 'god'.

It seems to escape most that "god" is a dualistic concept.

On the one hand it is supposed to care about us and answer prayers, which implies
that like a father it has motivations and desires and also cares, but in both senses of the word:
meaning love or empathy, but also meaning a burden.

...but on the other hand is supposed to define a concept that includes, by definition everything.

On the one hand we want (an all knowing) father to tell us what to do,
but on the other hand to be an all knowing father, means he is already everything and therefore never needs to do anything - he is eternally already in a state of fulfillment, (and incapable of separation) just being, and so our separate personalities must not only be an illusion, but also are an irrelevance.

So perhaps "God' is the paradigm, or prime example, of the human wish: to have one's cake and eat it too.
It which case, its perhaps fitting that those human's who wish to worship, rather than reason, chose their own reflection.
Which is a state of avoiding confronting contradictions, rather than dealing with them.

#285 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,864 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2021 - 03:03 PM

It looks to me like there might be two gods in the Universe. There might be a god that exists in the sense that the term implies to most people (omniscient, etc.), and there's definitely a god that exists that a lot of people have various abstract notions of.

But the one most people profess to believe in almost certainly doesn't exist since it's ultimately an incoherent/contradictory conceptualization of what god "is."

#286 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 339 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 06:15 PM

.   I guess a basic contradiction, in the conventional, ideas of god, in the 3 major religions originating, in ancient times in the 'near east', is that on the one hand god is assumed to be all powerful. Which would seem to imply as in the Dali Lama joke about ordering a hamburger where he says: "Make me one with everything"; that the only real power is in unity.

.   But what does this mean?

.   For instance suffering from pain terminates, when it is no longer resisted. This is the Vipassana Meditation methodology, in which many report an experience of pain breaking up and then dissolving; when it is not resisted, but experienced in ever closer detail. This is just one example of the what, is talked about by the non dualists and/or in Advaita Vedānta.

.   But in these (3 'Near Eastern') religions, it is desired, that God be separate, so that 'he' can perform actions, that help those particular humans who are relating tales of his wonders.

.   Educated members of these religions, no doubt laugh, at The Greek Gods and myths from ancient times, because they were so clearly anthropomorphic projections; yet fail to realize, that their desires and needs, like wise have colored their notions of 'god', and therefore distorted their entire conceptions of reality, and impaired their objectivity. Which seems to me a exorbitant price to pay for a bit of emotional comfort.

#287 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,864 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2021 - 09:09 AM

.   I guess a basic contradiction, in the conventional, ideas of god, in the 3 major religions originating, in ancient times in the 'near east', is that on the one hand god is assumed to be all powerful. Which would seem to imply as in the Dali Lama joke about ordering a hamburger where he says: "Make me one with everything"; that the only real power is in unity.

I read an article years ago that mentioned someone telling the Dalai Lama that joke for real, but they used a hot dog instead of a hamburger. It was one of the few times the Dalai Lama didn't laugh, but that was only because he didn't know what a hot dog was. For some reason I find that hilarious and suspect it could be unintentionally deep, too.

Edited by TVCasualty, 29 November 2021 - 09:09 AM.

#288 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 339 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 02:28 PM

Meanwhile folks whose houses were just destroyed in the south (USA), by tornadoes, are praying to god, and asking others to pray as well...

#289 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,864 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2021 - 10:40 AM

I sometimes wonder how the zealously pious reconcile the fact that the most devout parts of the country are also among the poorest, least developed, and most prone to major disasters. It's almost like they're all praying to the wrong god, and the real god is taking it personally. Meanwhile, the godless coastal heathens seem to be doing relatively well, abortions and all.

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#290 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2021 - 01:51 PM

I sometimes wonder how the zealously pious reconcile the fact that the most devout parts of the country are also among the poorest, least developed, and most prone to major disasters.

Clearly those are the folk that misinterpreted gods word and did something sinful. What other explanation could there be?

I remember watching a show where they were talking about spreading Christianity in India, and the difference in the religions in regards to the poor. They were saying that for many in the Karma system, you were poor or downtrodden because of past deeds in your previous life. So the thought is you actually deserve what you are getting and there should be no reason to help you out of your god given situation. Anyway it appeared sort of like an add for why Christianity was a better religion for helping the poor in that case.

#291 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,864 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2021 - 01:38 PM

I sometimes wonder how the zealously pious reconcile the fact that the most devout parts of the country are also among the poorest, least developed, and most prone to major disasters.

Clearly those are the folk that misinterpreted gods word and did something sinful. What other explanation could there be?

I remember watching a show where they were talking about spreading Christianity in India, and the difference in the religions in regards to the poor. They were saying that for many in the Karma system, you were poor or downtrodden because of past deeds in your previous life. So the thought is you actually deserve what you are getting and there should be no reason to help you out of your god given situation. Anyway it appeared sort of like an add for why Christianity was a better religion for helping the poor in that case.

Organized religion helps the poor and powerless tolerate being poor and powerless. It was invented as a way to prevent them from realizing that they could become not-poor and powerful, same as it ever was. Xtianity is no less a form of transcendetal totalitarianism than any of the others. It's all about "pay your taxes," obey the government" and "don't worry about your life sucking because you're gonna rock in Heaven and all us bastards who oppressed you and fed off your labor (and who also happened to compile the Bible) will burn in the Hell we made up to make you feel better about us making life on Earth de facto Hell for you" (I'm paraphrasing).

Religion doesn't help the poor, it is instrumental in creating the poor. Consider that the most effective way to eradicate poverty has long been known to be the empowerment of women, and then ponder how religion treats women.

The Hindu caste system is just another flavor of the same tired old bullshit used to maintain an arguably-pathological status quo.

Edited by TVCasualty, 15 December 2021 - 01:39 PM.

#292 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 339 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 03:48 PM

.   Sounds roughly correct as, regards the combined functioning of religion & government, once civilization, (after sedantism and agriculture) took hold.

.   But 'religion' in the form of "trance dancing", etc. **, in tribes, may have had a different function, prior to civilization, and possibly still in a few 'pockets' today.

.   **  The Australian Aborigines do some kind of a sacred walk, visiting sacred rocks, and religion seems to play a roll in adolescent initiations, in numerous tribes. The American Indian tribes, had different practices, perhaps the Sundance being the most famous, for example.

#293 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,864 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2021 - 11:17 AM

.   Sounds roughly correct as, regards the combined functioning of religion & government, once civilization, (after sedantism and agriculture) took hold.

.   But 'religion' in the form of "trance dancing", etc. **, in tribes, may have had a different function, prior to civilization, and possibly still in a few 'pockets' today.

.   **  The Australian Aborigines do some kind of a sacred walk, visiting sacred rocks, and religion seems to play a roll in adolescent initiations, in numerous tribes. The American Indian tribes, had different practices, perhaps the Sundance being the most famous, for example.

I don't consider those (trance dancing, shamanic and shamanic-esque traditions) to be examples of "organized" religion, which is why I am careful to include that term when criticizing them. They are also not inextricably intertwined with political power games or the imposition of social and cultural dominance via brute force upon any culture or society they can get away with imposing it on.

#294 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 339 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 08:40 PM

8451a9b9334beee5230d7edf8e1385db.png

#295 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 339 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 09:16 PM

jesus sarah-palin-dinosaur-tour-polar-bear-hunt

jesus-sarah-palin-dinosaur-tour-polar-be

Edited by shiftingshadows, 16 December 2021 - 09:20 PM.

#296 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 339 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 09:31 PM

hhbg.jpg?fit=1&resize=1080%2C4000&ssl=1

#297 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 339 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 09:35 PM

Easter_LastSupper_GU2018.jpg

#298 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 992 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2021 - 08:44 AM

God is silence.

#299 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 339 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 04:18 PM

God is silence.

The Sound of Silence: The Selected Teachings of Ajahn Sumedho 

by Ajahn Sumedho  (Author)

https://www.amazon.c...&s=books&sr=1-2

free pdf

http://buddhanet.net...e-awareness.pdf

https://duckduckgo.c...f, &t=h_&ia=web

The Law of Attention: Nada Yoga and the Way of Inner Vigilance 

by Edward Salim Michael  (Author)

https://www.amazon.c...&s=books&sr=1-5

Edited by shiftingshadows, 18 December 2021 - 04:19 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!