• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Omega 11

Omega 11

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 04:43 PM

Ok, my foaf might be just tripping out too soon. I'm writing this post, to reassure him that the blue color on his 95% colonized pf cake is simply a result of bruising. While inspecting his cakes, it appeared to have a lot of clear moisture built up around the mycelial tissue. Is this piss? Can this harm the cake or promote contamination? I told him not to worry until we find out for sure. can anyone help me on this subject, so my foaf can rest his worried little head.

#2 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 07 November 2005 - 04:51 PM

How long since the cakes were inoculated? Sometimes if they have taken a while to colonize the mycelium will bruise because its starting to dry out.

Also, condensation inside jars is normal, for me at least. And mycelium piss (I don't like that term really) will be yellowish in color and liquid. If its just condensation its most likely moisture from the sweating of the cake inside the jar. Think of how a greenhouse works.

#3 Omega 11

Omega 11

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 04:58 PM

He said the cakes were innoculated about a month ago with a karo liquid culture. They were incubated in a TiT incubator @ 82 degrees the entire time. Is there any way he could have sped up the colonization process? He keeps talking about the blueing, can't keep it to himself.

#4 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 07 November 2005 - 05:17 PM

82 is a little too warm probably and causing most of the condensation (piss) problem. I like 78-80 for my incubator temp.

A month from liquid culture is a long time, they should have been done a while ago. Are the holes covered with the tape? If so uncover them so the jars can breath and finish up.

Its bluing because its bruising, its drying out so the mycelium is bruising blue.
Be glad its blue and not another color! :)

#5 Omega 11

Omega 11

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 01:24 AM

thanks for all the info! I'll tell him he needs to take that tape off, I think he's a little over-protective of his babies. In case he asks though, is the tape at all/ever necessary?

#6 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 08 November 2005 - 02:41 AM

I never have the tape on the holes. Its not necessary if you are covering your jars with foil in the pc so no water gets that top layer of vermiculite wet.

That dry vermiculite is your contam barrier and if the jars are kept in a clean place, the tape is not needed. Your friend will notice faster colonization times as well.

#7 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 07:42 PM

FoaF just dunked some PF style cakes and One of them must have been handled roughly....It is Black and Blue from abuse:gah:

How long does it usually take for a cake to recover from excessive bruising?

Thanks

#8 OZ

OZ

Mycotopiate

• Validating
  • 502 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:01 PM

right away. dont even worry about it, sometimes it gets bruised just from sitting there and fruiting cuz the sub dries out

#9 WookieSapian

WookieSapian

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:25 PM

and, if your subs drying out, dunk the cake, (if it's already dunked, ROLL the cake in dry verm) mist the cake, place in fruiting chamber, and for the love of gawd, don't touch it, and quit using them for badminton birdies!!

#10 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:54 PM

Hey Chip,,,U been juggling with those cakes again...I dont think thats in the
Tek man...:lol:

#11 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 05:32 PM

LOL, not an intentional juggle. One I did almost drop due to intoxication..(DID) should be against the law (DRINKING WHILE DUNKING) I did kind of juggle it

#12 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:25 PM

This is the one that was all bruised up only a couple days after dunk and DE casing...look good eh?:teeth:

Attached Thumbnails

• recoverysmall.JPG

#13 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:30 PM

looking Vibrant!

#14 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 03:29 PM

Update: The second one is the one which was brusied so badly...SEE how thick them little guys are! Hell If I knew juggling would make this happen I would be abusing my cakes more often:greenboun

Attached Thumbnails

• bruisinok2small.JPG
  • brusinok1small.JPG

#15 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 03:31 PM

O ya BTW the second pic are Haw.

#16 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 04:21 PM

Lookin good mang...! I'de say your weekend is lookin up....:headbang:

#17 Guest_pcsillypj_*

Guest_pcsillypj_*

Posted 14 July 2006 - 04:42 PM

lookin great mang..;)

#18 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 04:47 PM

I am excited about it too!...Thanks for all the help from everyone here at Topia....My FoaF's projects are getting proggresively better and becoming so much more fun to watch:eusa_danc

#19 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:06 PM

Looking good!

"DRINKING WHILE DUNKING," or inoculating...or harvesting...or just screwing around with projects...

These are the REAL reasons we all seek an idiot proof Tek!!!

#20 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 10:43 PM

apprx 4 hours later these little beauts grew 150% at least..thats simply amazing..the second pic is from a 3rd cake...verycool pic i thought

Attached Thumbnails

• monstercake2small.JPG
  • smallbeauty1.JPG

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!