• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mickyboy

mickyboy

Market Restricted

• Expired Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 08:43 PM

hey, sorry guys, b/c i know its out there. someone said they would help me with this, and i finally decieded to do it. i can find it on the old boards, but i guess it wouldnt hurt to have this discussion on the new board.

i want to turn a mini fridge or full size fridge into a incubator/ fruiter chamber. i can get i good sized mini fridge for about $50, but i cant find a bigger full size refrigerator, that has one side freezer(incubator) one side fridge (fruiter). any help with where to get a full size and wiring diagrams would be appreciated. thanks again...mickyboy

Attached Thumbnails

• 8088d.jpg

#2 mickyboy

mickyboy

Market Restricted

• Expired Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 08:47 PM

sorry i forgot to mention this. what would i have to do to make the pump push out warm air instead of cold air, or would i just have to do it with a tub of open water with a heater.

#3 Lefty

Lefty

Arrogant Asshole

• Expired Member
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 09:02 PM

If the refrigerant (R-11 in older models which is nasty as hell to vent to the atmosphere) is lower than it should be to function properly it will cause the evaporators in fridge & freezer to be hot. Not for very long, as the system (when running properly) is set up to cool the motor in the hermetic compressor so you would fry it in a relatively short time or it will keep tripping on the internal overload. Now you could switch it out to an open compressor, which is a good deal of work, but electric heating elements would be much simpler.
Good choice of "container" and used appliance stores or classifieds would be an ideal place to find one cheap.

#4 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 10:05 PM

can working mini fridges be used to store agar plates and slants etc? what do you reccommend before using them. maybe bleach them to hell to try to keep it clean in there?
got me one from college sitting in the spare bedroom. it was used before for food during college, so i want to use it now for agar master preservation. how do i get it up to par.

#5 Lefty

Lefty

Arrogant Asshole

• Expired Member
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 10:48 PM

Someone else could probably answer the agar/slants question as I can't.
To really get it "clean" you'd have to remove and clean all the plastic casing from the inside because the bottom is almost definately full of crap you can't see or get to. They're actually germ filled devices and it's a credit to the immune system people don't get ill more often from all the shit growing in there. If your stuff is sealed, less of a problem obviously. A fridge is not totally sealed, and there is an air change everytime you hold the door open for two or so minutes, anyway.
The function of the evaporator cooling the space makes it a dehumidifier by nature. If you need constant humidity, no way. I saw somewhere around here someone had mushies in a paperbag & they dried out pretty quickly in a fridge. If distributed evenly, not clumped in a pile, they should. I plan to try when I get a chance but it's gonna be months :(.
Editted to say: once you put all the plastic back, silicone applied to the seams will prevent the bottom filling up w/crap & give you an overall better seal.

#6 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2005 - 10:58 PM

I think Target actually sells one online that cools and heats in case you missed it.

#7 mickyboy

mickyboy

Market Restricted

• Expired Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:10 PM

i know, but those are really small. i need large scale. i was thinking martha, but thats a little obvious. at least an extra fridge doesnt look so bad to visiters.

#8 nomoreusmc

nomoreusmc

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 940 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:21 PM

I wanted to do the same thing to grow azures (they grow in the cold). I thing one of thoose mini frides would be great for 2 decent size castings!! I would love to trip the most potent shrooms in the world!!

#9 sinthetic

sinthetic

i party like a rock star

• Expired Member
  • 872 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:23 PM

IMO that mini fridge is really too small to do much in. Good place to keep slants and cultures, though.

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 09:10 AM

agar master preservation

be sure to wrap in parafilm, they dry quick in the fridge otherwise

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders