• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 nokryptonite00

nokryptonite00

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 01:57 PM

So I've been looking throught the archives and I found this post.

http://archives.myco...html?1082321560

It says he mixed 50/50 worm castings and verm. Does that mean 50/50 by weight or by volume? And should I mix in the verm. before or after I sterelize the worm castings?

Also it says he used 3 jars of WBS. Do you think he means quarts or pints? I would like to do this same method but only have standard 1/2 pint PF BRF cakes, how many should I mix in? I was thinking in the 6-9 range?

Also it says he wated over a week for colonization and then cased with the same 50/50 mixture. I've read some where else that casing with worm castings isn't the best idea. So should I try using that casing mixture or should I just use like 60/40 coir and verm?

Last one... I promise. What is your recomendation on layer depths? How deep for the spawn and how deep for the casing layer?

-PEACE :rasta:

#2 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 02:27 PM

50/50 by volume...Normally you mix everything together and hydrate to the optimum moisture content , then pasteurize at 165 F fer a couple hours...
The ratio of spawn to the WP mix can be anywhere from 1:1 to 1:6 with good results..A lower ratio can speed colo time and increase your odds..

Casing mix of verm/coir is usual and sub depth 11/2 to 3 inches...
Good luck with your grow...

#3 nokryptonite00

nokryptonite00

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 05:49 PM

Would the addition of wheat straw to the spawn medium increse the size of my yields? If so where can I find bread loaf sized bails on the internet? Also if so, should I still go 50/50 on the worm castings and verm.? Or leave the verm out?

#4 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 06:13 PM

I wouldn't bother finding straw as u already have all ya need for a good boomer grow....

#5 jrogers311

jrogers311

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 406 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 12:57 AM

Golly is settin you straight. Just to confuse you personally I lighten up my bulk (and they are also cheaper by volume) with strawnet and coir about 1:1:1:1 (poo,verm,straw,coir). The more spawn the faster the colonization which is great because I haven't much patience and the faster the bulk colonizes the less chance for contams. The important thing is just to do it. Paturize that bulk, let it cool down, clean everything, birth the jars, you can crumble them in a bag (I grate them with a food grater as they seem to recover faster), mix with your bulk,incubate, and friut!Best wishes:D

#6 nokryptonite00

nokryptonite00

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:52 PM

Is there a way for me to steralize the worm poo by using a pot of boiling water and a pillow case? If so fr how long and @ what temp? Also if steralized this way should the verm. still be added before steralization or after? Also is corse verm better than fine in this situation?

#7 nokryptonite00

nokryptonite00

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 06:36 PM

okay so I ended up boiling a pillow case of worm poo @ 200-205F. for 2 hours. Is that to hot or long enough? or do you think everything will be okay?

Also I did not add the verm before I boiled. Should I steralize the verm before adding to the castings, or is it okay sraight out of a un-opened bag? If steralization is needed, how would I go about that?

#8 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:08 PM

It'll proly be ok but that is a bit on the hot side..You can compensate for overcooking your substrate by using plenty of spawn for fast colo...

Once your worm poo is drained you can mix with dry verm right out of the new bag...

#9 nokryptonite00

nokryptonite00

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:33 PM

It'll proly be ok but that is a bit on the hot side..You can compensate for overcooking your substrate by using plenty of spawn for fast colo...

Once your worm poo is drained you can mix with dry verm right out of the new bag...

Awesome! I was planning on adding about 6-9 1/2 pint cakes. Will it matter that 6 of them are HAWIIAN and 3 are F+, and I have a un-open bag of corse verm.

Hopefully I'll be okay.... I'll post some pics soon.

Thanks for al the help GOLLY!:headbang:

#10 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 08:42 PM

Best to put a divider in the tray or use 2 trays to keep em apart...Gluk..

#11 nokryptonite00

nokryptonite00

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:11 PM

I'm using a 10gal. tub. What could I use to make a divider and how can I remain sterile using one?

#12 nokryptonite00

nokryptonite00

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:47 PM

okay here it is. 50/50 worm poo/verm. spawned with 7 1/2 pint BRF cakes, strain is hawaiian mixed and being incubated in a 10 gallon tub. Substrate layer is about 3 inches.

This is my first casing attempt so I hopw it goes okay. This will be cased 60/40 coir/verm. - probably do a 1/2" - 1" casing layer.

Attached Thumbnails

• Logan's Pics 065.jpg

#13 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 06:07 PM

Looks good Nok...It would not have to be a physical divider - can be one strain at one end, n' the other next to it...It's just best that you can identify which is which for printing /strain preservation...Gluk...

#14 nokryptonite00

nokryptonite00

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 06:15 PM

So here is a little update, it's been 2 days now since the start of this project and so far I think things are going okay. I don't have a extra hydrometer so I don't really know what the RH is at. What sould it be around for casings? A FOAF used a ultrasonic humidifier for his setup but I don't have the funds for one yet. But I will be getting one, I prefer the fine mist and there is no mess.

Attached Thumbnails

• Logan's Pics 066.jpg

#15 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 06:25 PM

aim for about 95%

#16 nokryptonite00

nokryptonite00

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:56 AM

so over the holdays i forgot to fann for a few days and there are a couple of green spots, what can i do? i will post pics tomorrow,

in my opinionioion, sorry just ate a few wet ones so im kinda out of it, but I think everything is going bad

#17 aumbrellaforainydays

aumbrellaforainydays

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:47 AM

cut the green spots out now if they are not already too big. then spray with some diluted bleach solution around the area. but trich is bad.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!