• This topic is locked This topic is locked
81 replies to this topic

#41 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:23 PM

Nice work Laz! I've got some stuff to try out on this now! Hmmm, I wonder if it would work with neospora or lipstick molds? (same thing?)

Awww, I was sure hoping for some purple...... But its pretty all the same!

#42 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:28 PM

Oh, I misunderstood this.... the spores/tissue was treated with salt- not the agar. Must of read it too fast the first time through- or beer was involved, lol. Cool!

#43 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 02:17 PM

Yeah Golly, around 1%. 1/4Tbspn (1.25mills) of table salt/150mills of water.

#44 joystik

joystik

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 505 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:59 PM

I want to add something. I Used some potato water for my PDA that already contained salt (thanks to my mom) and I have to say that I have no contam plates so far. Thanks Laz.

#45 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 06:49 PM

Sweet! No worries. I love experimenting with stuff when time's available. I think I may try out some in agar as well.

Both those jars look really nice and are almost finished. I think I may use some newspaper for the eryngii and some hardwood saw dust for the Blewit, cased with potting soil.

#46 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 08:16 PM

How do you figure this could be applied to spores that are already hydrated? As in a filthy syringe? Perhaps doubling the salt, putting a given amount in a clean vessel, doubling that with the spore water and then pulling that out to a new syringe? After 10 minutes use as normal or apply to a plate?

#47 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:43 AM

Not sure yet Bobcat.

There seems to be some kind of sclerotia forming in the Blewit jar. I'll spawn these 2 to newspaper and compost tonight hopefully and then will get the cauliflower rolling as well.

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1169559736

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2889.jpg

#48 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:55 PM

What the heck is that in the Blewit jar? I've seen that in cubensis jars as well.

#49 StroFun

StroFun

Master Baiter

• Expired Member
  • 501 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:18 AM

maybe just myc piss?

#50 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,651 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:31 AM

I've seen that before as well. It seems to be a not-very-aggressive contaminant. Those spots in my jar had an off smell when I emptied it, and they did look exactly like the spot in your picture. Over time, if it's the same thing I had, it should get darker and wrinklier (wrinklier?) , and soon it won't look at all like metabolic wastes.

I don't know anything else about it. Good Luck!

#51 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:16 PM

I'm not sure what it is but, when I spawned the compost I took a look at it. It was about an 1/8th of inch thick, textured like sclerotia and smelled of the spawn sorta. Weird indeed.

Don't ask me! lol. I was considering taking a nip at it to see what it tasted like. Then I remembered Blewitt's aren't really a good mushroom to be eating on fresh because you can get an upset stomach. Blewitt's have to be cooked before consuming. But they're sure as hell worth it! Man, they're good.

#52 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:43 PM

still pretty damn amazing.
:bow:

#53 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:42 PM

Hmmm..... going out on a big limb here.... but maybe that was a bacterial infection that the predatory mycelium attacked? Just a wacko guess.

#54 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 11:47 AM

think i'll copy this to the front page for more exposure

#55 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 12:49 PM

Looking good, looking good!

#56 bandog

bandog

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:39 PM

SharkieJones ... can you elaborate on the process you use for soaking your perlite in salt? Does this eradicate contaminants between fruiting/flushes?

#57 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:12 PM

Hmm, well these 2 projects were spawned on the 24th of last month. So that puts us at 12 days up till now. So far so good I guess. The King is really looking good. The Blewitt on the other hand is slowing down and really showing signs of strange, cottony mycelium. I hope there's not a problem with it. I guess we'll find out. I believe i'll give these 2 projects till friday to finish up enough and then will attempt to fruit them in the same conditions. Although, I may case the Blewitt. I don't know what the heck to do really.

Let me get a photograph to share with you.

#58 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:41 AM

Ok, both are in fruiting conditions now. I'll post a picture if something progresses. It's a bit nippy in the greenhouse. 52 degrees to be exact. Brrrrr.

#59 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:57 AM

that does slow things down eh.

#60 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:05 PM

Well, from reading Jim's eryngii thread and a book, I know that this species needs to be in the 50-60 degree range to pin. Now for the Blewitt, who knows? But one thing's for certain, the eryngii container is definately a Pleurotus species by the scent and the Blewitt has a small pin on it that's definately not Pleurotus and has a strange scent as well. I think we may be in good shape here, as there's definately some potential here with the project.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!