• This topic is locked This topic is locked
81 replies to this topic

#61 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:48 AM

I'm pretty sure that pin popped up in the Blewitt container once the temps dropped to 60 for a weekend in my grow room while it was incubating. So i'm hoping I can simply fruit the both of them at the same temperature. Around 52-60 and then i'll raise the temps once primordia form.

#62 viaje_champinon

viaje_champinon

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:41 AM

I am wondering about useing the 1% salt solution in a caseing, would it still hold the same anti contam properties as useing it in agar??

#63 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:14 AM

When i mixed a 1% salt solution , i could really taste the salt almost like Sea water so i cut it in half and am testing growth on cardboard...

Hey Laz , is there a reason you chose the non iodized salt...?

#64 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:18 AM

It's NOT iodized.

Maybe i'll get some of that. Is yours Golly?

#65 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:03 AM

I could be wrong, but its my understanding that those blewitts are pretty unpredictable fruiters. Thats one reason we don't see them a lot in cultivation today. They like complex environments prolly rich in poo/wood/mulch. So anything you get will be a real success! Congrats so far! Your temps are good for them too.

#66 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:16 AM

Thanks.

Well a quick update. The Blewit's looking good on the cased compost, but the eryngii is hating life and is now back into incubation to liven it up a bit. My damn greenhouse is being a PITA with water droplets and is setting my projects back. The eryngii looks like I microwaved it or something. Hehehehe. It should revive and be ready for a fruiting attempt tommorrow night. Poor thing. In the mean while, i'm getting my greenhouse straightened out to prevent this. Ack!!!!!

Bare with me, i'm new to these cold weather species. The greenhouse temperature is a blustery 54.

#67 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:18 AM

I am wondering about useing the 1% salt solution in a caseing, would it still hold the same anti contam properties as useing it in agar??

Man, who knows! This is going to be an ongoing project to say the least. Please anyone that feels like trying something on a small scale, go for it.

#68 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:22 AM

Hey Golly. You say that your water tasted rather salty? Mine only had a hint of salt to it. Are there different %'s of sodium or something? My solution tasted a bit like bay water. Just a hint of salt.

Doh! My salt's not iodized. Sorry once again. :rolleyes:

#69 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:25 AM

I'm getting the Sparassis ready to go as well.

#70 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:59 AM

Let's skip the cauliflower for now, as I have no use for it and only have 1 plate left for a few days.

I bought an Agaricus bisporus cap last night that was sitting out in the open of the market for quite some time. (I've been eyeing them up for a few days) I'm going to use treated gill fragments to attempt to get a culture. I'll post pics in a bit.

#71 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:59 PM

Hmmm, salt seems to have an adverse effect on agar unless it's mixed extremely well. I added the salt to an already made MEA and I guess I didn't mix it too well, as there was an agar clump in the jar that took forever to liquify.

Ok, the plate's poured. Let's see if the damn MEA hardens now. lol

#72 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:57 PM

We'll see I reckon.

A. bisporus gill fragments on salted MEA. Rubbed in a bit to coat them with the treated agar. Let's see what happens.

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1171578293

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1171578293

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2947.jpg
  • IMG_2946.jpg

#73 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:04 PM

1% by volume of iodized salt , is what tasted salty,noticed that it also contains dextrose, WTH...! Anyway the .05% that i used on the cardboard is allowing only very slow growth of mycelium ...

The salt has prevented mold from growing on dry stem sections but also no mycelium either, of course i haven't seen growth from dry tissue on any media yet..

#74 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:07 PM

I would think an iodized salt would be hard on cultures and certainly spores. I doubt spores would even germinate using it now that I think about it.

#75 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:28 PM

OK. I just intro'd the King back into fruiting conditions. That damn greenhouse nearly outsmarted me! lol. I was messing with it and then it popped into my mind to put a 1' tube into the coolmist's output so I could direct the mist easier. Now the mist is banking off of the front door and is flowing up to the top of the greenhouse without leaving behind those f'n droplets everywhere in it's path. Only a few droplets on the 1st shelf above the output. Hehehe. Now it's 56 degrees and a perfect 95% without a mess of droplets. :thumbup: I'll pop the blewitt back in later this evening. I'm waiting for some mycelia to even out in the casing.

#76 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:01 PM

I could be wrong, but its my understanding that those blewitts are pretty unpredictable fruiters. Thats one reason we don't see them a lot in cultivation today. They like complex environments prolly rich in poo/wood/mulch. So anything you get will be a real success! Congrats so far! Your temps are good for them too.

I too have read that. The only thing I can do is, get some mycelia exposed to light and fresh air in the casing layer and hope that will trigger some activity for mushroom growth. I'm pretty damn sure there was a pin at birth. It was extremely small and may have simply been an area of aerial hyphae, but it certainly appeared to have a cap.

#77 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 12:17 PM

I'm rather convinced this is working out good. The bisporus plate has just started growing healthy. I'll post pics tommorrow so visibility is better.

#78 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 12:24 PM

need to post a concise 'salt tek' once you get the time...plz.
:bow:

#79 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 12:30 PM

Will do.

I found another sleeve of plates last night. I want to try this on a highly contaminated culture like the cauliflower mushroom. The only thing that worries me about that culture is, it may not even be mushroom mycelium to begin with. Or herbstii if it is mushroom mycelium. I guess we'll see what happens.

#80 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:24 AM

Ok, so I transfered the Sparassis to treated agar.

Here's the A. bisporus so far. I'll update the Sparassis progress in a day or 2.

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1171954347

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2974.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!