• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 seymorebunz

seymorebunz

CHEERS

• OG VIP
  • 997 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:43 AM

New to all of this...i started my first thread a couple weeks ago when a foaf got their first mycobags and spores. the colonization is coming along nicely, the foaf is now putting together a fruiting chamber and is wondering if they should case, open the bag and cut it off around the top of the substrate, or just remove from the bag completely and place in on a plate. FYI, the fruiting chamber will have a bottom perlite layer for humidification. Hippie i know you can help on this....any advise or experience on the fruiting of these bags will be greatly appreciated. I have about 3-4 days to make a decision. I know the foaf can just leave them in the bag, but for a first time grow they're looking for a littel more excitement.

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:16 AM

looking for a littel more excitement.

why not try something like
>>this?<<

#3 seymorebunz

seymorebunz

CHEERS

• OG VIP
  • 997 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:39 AM

Hippie that is one of the coolest things i've seen in my life. Wow!!!
It's simple and easy it seems....but for the first grow do u think we're ready for this? Wow im tempted to go all out........

#4 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:49 AM

each bag of spawn can be used to make
several more sandbags ,
more eggs in more baskets, so to speak.
only need a few tablespoons of crumbled fully colonized substrate
to add to each sandbag of manure/coir.
odds are good some will yield well
even if you do lose a few.

#5 seymorebunz

seymorebunz

CHEERS

• OG VIP
  • 997 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:54 AM

I didn't realize that a couple of tablespoons of spawn could go that far...reading that thread it seemed that he put 2 qts of spawn in each bag!! Sounds like a waste of spawn to me. I think a foaf may go with a little smaller bags, but this seems like the right way to go for the desired EXCITEMENT factor. Way Cool!!!!:eusa_clap

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:35 PM

more spawn is always nice
more food, more points of growth = faster = fewer problems
but really all that is required
is several points of live tissue intermixed well,
say at least 1 bit per cubic inch

#7 seymorebunz

seymorebunz

CHEERS

• OG VIP
  • 997 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:12 PM

Makes sense...now the fun begins. should i document with pics??? or is this way over done?

#8 Guest_Water_*

Guest_Water_*

Posted 07 January 2007 - 07:54 AM

should i document with pics???

That's a 'no brainer', yes! :)

Good luck!

#9 seymorebunz

seymorebunz

CHEERS

• OG VIP
  • 997 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 02:14 PM

AFOAF started their own big bag spawning last night with the intent of using Sandmans TEK...They found some great bags at Wally World in the storage container area. They are the vacuum bags for storing sweaters, they have a suction port for hooking up a vacuum to remove all the air. This may be useful for some creative people out there but not necessary for what AFOAF is doing. The bags however are great...they have different sizes; FOAF's are 24x36, they all have a zipper lock seal along the top and they are tough. Kind of expensive though...two big bags and one smaller one for around $10. But this will definitely save on gas if you don't want to look around.

AFOAF mixed up the coir and poo mix...50/50 and pasteurized the mix for a couple of hours; then let the mix drip through the pillow case for about 6.5 hours. Pretty sure that the mix is still to wet, so going to dry it out a little before adding the spawn.

Any suggestions on checking for proper water content????

#10 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2007 - 03:35 PM

A well hydrated substrate is at "field capacity."

That means when you squeeze a fistful of it real hard, you should get 4-8 drops of water (and no more).

My FOAF likes things just a little drier than that and shoots for 2-4 drops per fistful.

A little too dry is FAR better than a little too moist.

#11 seymorebunz

seymorebunz

CHEERS

• OG VIP
  • 997 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:13 PM

Thanks Buckaroo....that's very helpful. I was thinking drier would be better, the FOAF substrate is still way to wet.

#12 seymorebunz

seymorebunz

CHEERS

• OG VIP
  • 997 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for everyone for all of your help...my FOAF is now on their second go around using this TEK and it has been an exciting experience for a first time grower. The first try yielded some fruiting and was a great learning experience. The FOAF learned immediately that the coir/poo subtrate was not to be taken lightly.

The first round..... substrate was a cow manure compost from Lowes (NO BUENO!!) The spawn spread a bit than stopped, it was finally decided that the substate would colonize no further. So fruiting was initiated and to some surprise...they actually fruited around 20 specimens.

2nd round.....NEW PLAN! Hippie's bags and Hippie's pasteurized Donkey Doo mixed with properly pasteurized coir (this was most likely done wrong the first time) and the results so far are clearly looking allot like Sandmans results! Pics to follow.

#13 seymorebunz

seymorebunz

CHEERS

• OG VIP
  • 997 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:18 AM

Pics as promised...the last pic shows rapid colonization in just 24 hours! Phone pics....so sorry about the quality.

Attached Thumbnails

• img131.jpg
  • img127.jpg
  • img123.jpg
  • img122.jpg
  • img121.jpg
  • img119.jpg
  • img118.jpg

#14 seymorebunz

seymorebunz

CHEERS

• OG VIP
  • 997 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:36 PM

Check it out.....I'll post better pics as soon as I find my digital.

#15 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:19 PM

:lol:
hippie's shit just doesn't sound quite right,
you must mean my Ozark Mountains Donkey Doo
and my MYCRO MIX bags
from www.mycrotopia.com
looking good so far.
:bow:
:cool:

#16 seymorebunz

seymorebunz

CHEERS

• OG VIP
  • 997 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:50 AM

Yes you are correct......that is a much better description.

Your shit just rocks.......very very pleased!! Thanks for all your help!

It's now been about 7 days and all three bags are close to complete colonization....will post some more pics soon. Better pics now that I've found my digital.

#17 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:31 AM

Sweet buddy! Looking very nice. Only comment is that you may concider breaking the spawn up 100% while its still in the sealed spawnbag instead of semi breaking it up then dumping it then breaking it up in the fruit bag. Not a big deal I'm sure, but it just seems more convenient that way to me.

I have found that putting down a black sheet of plastic like some trash bags or something on the shelf under the bags works wonders at avoiding bottom pins. Side pins are of no consequence.

Keep up the good work and post more pics!

#18 seymorebunz

seymorebunz

CHEERS

• OG VIP
  • 997 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:24 AM

Good to hear from you Sandman, I've been wanting to hear from you. Thanks for the tips and the great write up that you did on this TEK.

I'll post more pics soon.....2 out of the 3 bags were fully colonized 2 days ago. The fruiting process was initiated at that time with light exposure and an oscillating fan. Looking good so far.

Each of the bags has a different strain.....One EQ, One Cambo, and One GT. The GT bag is the only one that slowed down & didn't reach full colonization after about 11 days......colonization almost seemed to just stop.

Just guessing, the GT's are probably around 75% colonized so it will put out some fruit but most likely nothing like the EQ's and Cambo's. Those two look like they'll do some serious work!!!

#19 joey_megabucks

joey_megabucks

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:30 PM

awesome mr bunz! good luck and lets see some pics!

#20 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:45 AM

The GT bag is the only one that slowed down & didn't reach full colonization after about 11 days......colonization almost seemed to just stop.

it may have run out of air-
ventilate the still sealed bag
by rolling up tightly to squeeze old air out
then hang up un-rolled to re-inflate with fresh filtered air.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!