i'd uncover holes and glue some tyvek over them

#22 Tzinacan

Tzinacan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:57 PM

Thanks guys.

I think I will not do anything about air exchange for a while. If I had some tyvek, I'd use it right now, but since I don't, let's first see if my jars start colonizing or not, and then, well, if it should slow down, I'll do something about it. Next time I'll try doing things properly and prepare a couple of airport syringes.

I am now incubating in a windowed kitchen cabinet with a portable heater, so the temperature is not constant (depending on outside temp), but swings from 24 to 26 degrees celsius. I feel that now there's not much for me to do but wait and hope that something will happen, and that by the end of the week I'll see some sort of action in at least one of my jars.

In the meantime I'm immersing myself into Mycotopia's wonderful archives, having fun reading old grow logs and learning a lot by browsing the teks and the related discussions in the vaults. I can't wait to try some of the harder teks, but first I need to master the easy ones.

Ciao,
Tzinacan

Attached Thumbnails

• Incubation002_scaled.jpg
  • Incubation001_scaled.jpg

#23 Tzinacan

Tzinacan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 07:56 AM

Five days have passed since inoculation, time for an update.

Things are not going well. First of all, I believe I might have committed a further mistake in my procedure, by not shaking the jars after boiling them. I have noticed on Wednesday morning that my rice jars looked all very compact, and I started worrying about air supply and mycelium ingrowth. I then did some research in Mycotopia's Archives, and I saw that, even though the Tek I followed did not specify this, many people suggest shaking the jars after sterilization.

I decided to do it, but it was late and I had mixed success:

I managed to shake up the rice in jars #2, #3 and #5. As you can see from the pictures, it doesn't look bad. However, I could not shake up the black rice in jar #1 (there is basically one solid block that moves inside the jar, but does not break apart).

Also, something strange happened with the rice in jar #4 (uncle ben's): when I started shaking, it became liquid (wonder what's in there, wonder why this didn't happen with the other rice varieties). I also had some trouble with my last jar (#6: parboiled corn grains): some of the wheat grains came loose and don't look bad, but a part of the mixture is stuck to the glass and is solidifying, and I think I now have too much water in there.

Most importantly: no visible signs of colonization in any of my jars, yet.

Ciao,
Tzinacan

Attached Thumbnails

• 1week-006_scaled.jpg
  • 1week-005_scaled.jpg
  • 1week-004_scaled.jpg
  • 1week-003_scaled.jpg
  • 1week-002_scaled.jpg
  • 1week-001_scaled.jpg

#24 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:12 AM

#4 is proly contaminated,
#6 may be too.

#25 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:33 AM

Jars 3 and 5 look good as far as hydration goes and appear contam free..
It may take a bit longer to see mycelium growing on a white substrate but
you may just get lucky with those ones..
I like the dark rice for contrast ,,,is that pretty expensive...?

#26 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,796 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:08 PM

I had some trouble due to air inside the jars not allowing me to empty the spore syringes without first relieving pressure, by either widening the injection holes (in two cases, jars #2 and #5), or temporarily loosening the lid to let some air in (jar #4).

I found out about this problem the hard way, when I was injecting jar #2 and after encountering resistence I just decided to apply more force, until, well, the syringe exploded. Ok, not a real explosion of course, but it fell apart, the needle went flying and my face was washed with spores.

If you managed to get the tip of the syringe inside the jar, then air pressure is not what caused the resistance which resulted in the exploding syringe. If there was such pressure, it would have filled your syringe with an air pocket immediately upon being inserted (or sucked the spores out if it was a vacuum). I think what you encountered was a plug of rice in the needle. Sticking the needle into the jar sometimes creates a "core sample" of substrate inside the needle. When you push harder, it finally gives way and flies out with a bunch of precious spore water. In your case, the needle wasn't seated well or screwed on all the way, and the whole thing flew off before the plug cleared. In my opinion.

If you are into this hobby to the point where you are setting up substrate comparison experiements, I would highly recommend that you get a pressure cooker and flow hood. I know, I know, they are so expensive, but flow hoods can be home-made and a small cooker isn't too bad in terms of cost (and soooo worth it). Hoods and PC's really help with success rates, and success keeps us all coming back to do it again. I don't like seeing someone get discouraged from a string of failures (like we all have experienced) and quit. Not that you would quit, but if you invest in good tools the failure rate will be lower and you will be happier!

Also, I noticed you mentioned that this is your first grow. For that, most of us here would recommend strictly adhering to an established method, and attempting experiments after success has been achieved with proven TEKs. Most of us say this because we also tweaked the instructions for our first times, and it didn't turn out so well for us either!

#27 Tzinacan

Tzinacan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:09 PM

#4 is proly contaminated,
#6 may be too.

Should I discard them? Or at least, discard #4?
Probably makes no sense to keep going with that liquid stuff, does it?

I like the dark rice for contrast ,,,is that pretty expensive...?

Yeah, it is. A 500gr box costs 3.30 euros, which means that 1kg is 6.60 euros (or 8.53 USD). By comparison, 1kg white parboiled rice from the same producer costs between 2.45 and 3.50 euros (3.17 - 4.52 USD) depending on the variety. So this black rice is about twice as expensive.

Ciao,
Tzinacan

#28 Tzinacan

Tzinacan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:25 PM

I think what you encountered was a plug of rice in the needle. Sticking the needle into the jar sometimes creates a "core sample" of substrate inside the needle. When you push harder, it finally gives way and flies out with a bunch of precious spore water. In your case, the needle wasn't seated well or screwed on all the way, and the whole thing flew off before the plug cleared.

Thanks TVCasualty. I have no idea wheter in my case that's what
happened, but it's certainly worth knowing that it can happen.
I'll watch out for it, the next time I inoculate.

If you are into this hobby to the point where you are setting up substrate comparison experiements, I would highly recommend that you get a pressure cooker and flow hood. I know, I know, they are so expensive, but flow hoods can be home-made and a small cooker isn't too bad in terms of cost (and soooo worth it). Hoods and PC's really help with success rates, and success keeps us all coming back to do it again. I don't like seeing someone get discouraged from a string of failures (like we all have experienced) and quit. Not that you would, but if you invest in good tools the failure rate will be lower and you will be happier!

I went out earlier today and got myself a pressure cooker. :)

I will look into building a laminar flow hood in the future, but first I think I'll build a rudimentary glove box. I am not sure how much of a difference the glove box will make, but it sure is easy and very cheap to build, so I figure that the cost/benefit ratio is definitely worth it.

Also, I noticed you mentioned that this is your first grow. For that, most of us here would recommend strictly adhering to an established method, and attempting experiments after success has been achieved with proven TEKs. Most of us say this because we also tweaked the instructions for our first times, and it didn't turn out so well for us either!

I guess you are right.
I will try a classic PF Tek next.

Ciao,
Tzinacan

Attached Thumbnails

• MyPressureCooker_scaled.jpg

#29 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,796 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:11 PM

Cool!

I predict you will find success very soon.

Good Luck!

#30 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,535 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:45 PM

Yeah a pressure cooker makes all the diference in the world. You will get things going now, I'm convinced. Very nice attention to detail. You have really thrown yourself into the project. I like that! :)

For your first go, rice can be a bit tricky. If you keep haveing trouble with it you may want to try another grain or grind up the rice and do a standard pf tek just to get that first grow under your bealt. Then you can expand from there.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!