• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MNL

MNL

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 10:31 AM

I think this is the biggest shroom I have ever grown. I let it go 'all the way' because I intended to clone it, but never had motivation.

The other pictures show the spore shadow it left in the tank. Spores all over the casing tub, casing, etc. All in one direction, a 'shadow'. This would probably have made a print an inch thick.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1003780.jpg
  • P1003781.jpg
  • P1003786.jpg
  • P1003787.jpg
  • P1003789.jpg

#2 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 11:01 AM

congrats on your biggun. how did you make the casing. if you move up to straw i bet you get a lot more just like it.

#3 anti_human

anti_human

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 12:00 PM

in my opinion one should take a tissue sample from a young mushroom that is still vigorously growing, perhaps right before or after the veil breaks. Nice fattie though.

#4 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 12:02 PM

Nice fruit...Strain?

#5 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 03 March 2005 - 12:35 PM

quote:
"one should take a tissue sample from a young mushroom that is still vigorously growing"

Agreed. Never let a mushroom mature fully that you intend to clone.

#6 nomoreusmc

nomoreusmc

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 940 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 01:46 PM

just because it is not as young, does that mean that it will not clone as well? Just not as fast?

#7 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 03:12 PM

quote:
"one should take a tissue sample from a young mushroom that is still vigorously growing"

Agreed. Never let a mushroom mature fully that you intend to clone.

DOH!!! NOW you tell me. I have six jar of karo-clone vigorously growing from the first two PE to mature on my cakes! Sigh. Young ones eh? Well, I'm gonna go shoot up some freshly PC'd (yesterday) BRF jars with a sample of this material and see what happens.

Hey Rodger, how long can you keep a clone master? I plan on moving it to agar in the next month or two, but the original clones are in karo. If this strain does work out well, I want to be able to keep it going indefinately. Suggestions?

#8 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 03 March 2005 - 03:18 PM

Nice fruit, bra. I hope to see more projects from ya.:)

#9 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 03 March 2005 - 03:43 PM

When a fruit reaches maturity, it stops growing. . .The mycelium simply stops dividing cells. It can start growing again of course, but not with its former vigor. If you want to clone, pick out a nice, large, but still rapidly expanding fruitbody so you transfer healthy, rapidly growing mycelium. Remember, the fruitbody is simply mycelium in a denser form.

#10 MNL

MNL

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 04:43 AM

congrats on your biggun. how did you make the casing. if you move up to straw i bet you get a lot more just like it.

It is 2 PF cakes on straw, cased with vermiculite. EDIT:I bet if I did isolation by cloning I would have more consistant results like this on straw. Right now I get 6-7 large shrooms and dozens of aborts. I hate picking them out of the casing.

in my opinion one should take a tissue sample from a young mushroom that is still vigorously growing, perhaps right before or after the veil breaks. Nice fattie though.

I agree, though I have always had success with both. I intended to do it early, but never got around to it.

Nice fruit...Strain?

It is from a print that I made from a fresh shroom from the store around the corner. I dont know the strain. It is the same strain I used in the time-lapse series (also in my avitar).

Nice fruit, bra. I hope to see more projects from ya.

Thanks. I dont know if it survived the transition, but I made some time-lapse films, anaglyphs, and inoculated two rolls of toilet paper with this strain. These might still be floating around the FUNGI forum.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!