24 replies to this topic

#1 llamabox

llamabox

Researcher

• OG VIP
  • 1,405 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:02 PM

I was just wondering if anybody was working with this species.

Psilocybe quebecensis is a hallucinogenic mushroom native to the province of Quebec in Canada. It is rumored to grow wild in the valley of the river Jacques Cartier, and to fruit at a temperature of 6°C to 15°C (42°F to 59°F) from summer to late October.

[*]Ola'h, Gyorgy Miklos & Heim, R. 1967. Une nouvelle espèce nord-américaine de Psilocybe hallucinogène: Psilocybe quebecensis. Comptes Rendus Hebdomadaires des Séances de l'Académie des Sciences 264: 1601-1604.

[*]Olah GM. The fine structure of Psilocybe quebecensis. Mycopathol Mycol Appl. 1973 Apr 30;49(4):321-38.

#2 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:11 PM

Never heard much chatter about it, or seen prints offered anywhere. Been hoping it would come to the circle at some point. Very interested in this one!

#3 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:31 PM

Be almost reason enough to plan a fishing trip, I'd say.

#4 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:55 PM

Well, I was sent what was supposed to be quebecensis and I struggled with it for a long time until I finally fruited it from a manure/sawdust mix. It always seemed to fail on wood alone. It doesn't look much like what quebecensis is supposed to look like but the sample is from an area where quebecensis naturally grows.

I am not certain what It actually is, the spores are brownish, the flesh blues, the cap has a pellicle and the shape is similar to P. semilanceata. I don't think I saved any dried specimens to do microscopy (dammit) but I did take prints to work with later. The initial print was nearly invisible on a paper towel.

Attached Thumbnails

• Semilike_quebecensis_patch_02.jpg
  • Psilocybe_semilanceata_Quebecensis_patch.jpg

#5 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:19 PM

But this is supposedly from the same area? Fascinating, regardless. Perhaps a new one? Hope to see it in the line up some day.

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:53 PM

it is active, i assume ?

#7 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:20 PM

Yes, it is active.

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:32 PM

got spore$ ? i'd like some.

#9 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:57 PM

nice pics workman!-----as always lol..

#10 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 12:22 PM

got spore$ ? i'd like some.

I have a few prints for my own work but not enough to distribute. I like to know what things are before distribution anyway. Maybe I'll have some this fall.

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 12:41 PM

it is fall. :thumbup:

#12 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,571 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 September 2007 - 12:46 PM

In Quebec folk call mushrooms champignon...

Queen had a song "We are the champion"

" We are the mushrooms, we are the mushrooms.."

:rasta:

#13 warriorsoul

warriorsoul

Retired Moderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2007 - 12:29 PM

any new info on this species?

#14 slackwaterfarmer

slackwaterfarmer

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 06:57 PM

Anyone who has any luck with this one, please post. Aside from the limited info in Stamet's book, I've never heard a thing about this one. You'd figure someone up thataway would know something about it. Also suprising none of the vendors seem to carry it. I guess it's damn rare...

#15 Stone

Stone

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 04:55 AM

Seems to me this species would prove usefull for a cold climate outdoor species. I believe it has an incubation period, though?
How long did this take to fruit, Workman?

#16 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 02:03 PM

No fruits yet. The first success took forever to fruit but I was assuming it was a woodlover. Still fiddling with the parameters but the mycelium is growing well on a grass seed, manure mix.

#17 warriorsoul

warriorsoul

Retired Moderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:13 AM

Anyone have a picture of this mushroom?

#18 Micololo2

Micololo2

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:10 AM

Hello, first post here

I live in the province of Québec and I've found this mushroom a year ago. This mushroom grows in more areas than Cartier river. Very few people knows about mushrooms in this country, lot of people are scare of them. This specie is not very potent, on a scale of 10 I would give him a 4 or a 5 (10 would be an azurescens). Its a very small mushroom, mycelium is tough, long time incubation, maybe one of the most rustic specie, easy to cultivate but with very low yield. I'm very surprise that this mushroom create an interest here, and more that someone has spores. This mushroom is unknown, I'd like to know how Workman got the spores? Are you sure you got quebecensis's spores?

#19 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:00 PM

I actually think I don't have Psilocybe quebecensis spores but some other active Psilocybe related to Psilocybe semilanceata. I won't know until I have regrown new specimens. If you can collect spores and/or specimens of actual P. quebecensis, I would be extremely interested.

#20 Micololo2

Micololo2

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:42 PM

Workman,

This specie grows well on white or yellow birch woodchips. Less sawdust as possible in the substrates but just anough to help mycelium running and covering well the subs.. I didn't kept anything from this specie, I didn't see any interest in. This specie is rare, very rare to find in the bush, they don't grow in clusters, isolate. If I ever find one next year I'll make a clone and offer it here. The mycelium is very tough and resistant. Its now to late for this year, snow starting to fall.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!