• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jdean

jdean

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 03:14 PM

is it better to induce pinning in a terrarium or to induce during invitro and then birth into a terrarium?

#2 reefer

reefer

Mod of the Ocean

• Expired Member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 05:25 PM

If you're going to be fruiting the cakes themselves then it wouldn't hurt to expose to light from day one and then birth the jars when they have pins.

If you want to make casings, then I would keep them in the dark and birth them when you're sure they are completely colonized. (3 or 4 days after all you can see is white) Then make the casings and put into fruiting conditions.

#3 jdean

jdean

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 06:48 PM

ok, interesting. yes, i do plan on birthing them, but for some reason i had the notion that they weren't to be exposed to light until they're colonized.

#4 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 06:59 PM

If you're growing them invitro, expose to light from the time you see mycelical growth. If you plan on birthing them, it doesn't matter as much on the exposure to light. You can if want. I left mine in the box until 100% colonization, then birthed.

(Message edited by looper on February 11, 2005)

#5 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:56 PM

I like to induce pinning invitro.......but either way works fine

#6 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:58 PM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

f you're going to be fruiting the cakes themselves then it wouldn't hurt to expose to light from day one and then birth the jars when they have pins. <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

actually id only expose your invitro jars to light from day one.......id let cakes to be birthed to terrarium colonize to 70-80 percent before adding light to induce pinning......

adding light to jars from day one could cause pinning before 100 percent colonization.....so i recommend for jars to be birthed, add light at 70-80percent colonization

#7 jdean

jdean

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 07:46 AM

thanks guys

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!