20 replies to this topic

#1 _KlUe

_KlUe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:43 AM

Hi all
This is my second grow log here. Thought i'd go into more depth than last time with the steps I did as I had a good response. So here goes..

Ok, everything I'm going to use is listed:

- Syringe with some spores (hopefully sterilized ok!).
- Bag of brown rice flour from supermarket.
- Bag of Brunnings Vermiculite from local nursery.
- 4 x Standard whiskey glasses from a homeware shop. I chose this type of glass due to: A) Couldn't find any wide mouthed jars, & cool.gif They have a thick base to withstand high temperatures while sterilizing
- Roll of aluminium foil.
- Kitchen saucepan with a lid. Just a saucepan large enough to fit in approx. 4 glasses. I don't have a pressure cooker - you can use this if you have one.
- Humidity dome from local hydroponics store (2 trays, base for water, other on top with holes, and the plastic lid)
- Small jar of isopropyl alcohol I picked up from work. You can buy this online (Google it) or at some hardware stores.
- Water mister/sprayer from nursery.
- Bedside lamp with a 15w fluoro bulb.
- Large cardboard box with white plastic on sides (previously used for clones) that everything will fit into during growing stage. I guess this isn't really necessary but can help keep out contamination and maintains a more stable temperature.
- Surgeons type disposable mask and gloves (Not 100% necessary, but helps with overall sterilized environment)
- You may also want to use a humidity/temperature gauge, mine broke so i'll have to do without.

Well, I think thats about it for the things i'm going to be using.

#2 _KlUe

_KlUe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:44 AM

Next steps...

- Cleaned kitchen, sprayed all surfaces with a cleaning spray.
- Used mister with isopropyl inside which was sprayed over the working area after cleaned..

These steps aren't AS necessary because the glasses and medium are going to be sterilized, but it always helps to be extra careful.

- Cut 8 pieces of double folded foil up - enough to fit over the top of each cup and down the sides.
- In CLEAN mixing bowl, mix 1/4 cup of brown rice powder, 1/2 cup of vermiculite, and roughly over 1/4 cup boiled -> cooled water PER glass. So times those figures by 4.
- It will vary as to how much water is required, due to the sizes of the vermiculite chunks. Mine is a medium size which I have found works well.
- When the rice flour has stuck to the vermiculite evenly, and the mixture is slightly moist, you should be ready to fill the glasses.
- Fill them around 3/4 up to the top with the mixture. I top them up a few times each, to evenly size the amount in each glass.
- Rub tissue wet with isopropyl around the tops of the glasses to make sure there is nothing going to contaminate them during incubation stage. Allow alcohol to evaporate.
- Fill the glasses up almost the rest of the way with dry vermiculite to avoid any contam getting in from the tops. Make sure there is at least 2-3cm of vermiculite on top.

Now it is ready to put foil (lids) over the tops.

- Take a piece of foil and tightly put it over the top of each glass. Try to make the foil even, you can fold it up if necessary.
- Now put layer two over the top, so you can define which is layer one and which is layer two - this layer should be longer.

This is so you can easily take off layer two when glasses are ready to innoculate!

- Have saucepan ready with a few cm of water in the bottom, put on LOW heat.
- Steam (Not boil.. You can crack the glass) glasses for at least 1.5hrs with the lid on, checking every now and then. On one of mine, I noticed I didn't put enough foil over one of the glasses (not airtight enough), so it sunk in a slight bit - This should be ok to fix afterwards, unless it gets steam/water inside.
- After 1.5+ hrs is up, turn heat off and let the inside cool down overnight with lid on.

Next post I have pics hopefully in order of steps..

#3 _KlUe

_KlUe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:47 AM

Feedback is always welcome :)

Keep in mind this tek is modified for people who don't have access to wide mouthed jars or a pressure cooker. Also using a humidity dome for seedlings rather than a commonly used terrarium.

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 011.jpg
  • Picture 010.jpg
  • Picture 008.jpg
  • Picture 009.jpg
  • Picture 005.jpg
  • Picture 006.jpg
  • Picture 004.jpg
  • Picture 002.jpg
  • Picture 003.jpg
  • Picture 001.jpg

#4 _KlUe

_KlUe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:35 AM

Another update to come when glasses have cooled down overnight.
Peace

#5 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:55 AM

I like the write up. It is thorough. So, you've had pretty good success with steaming for 1.5 hours?

#6 _KlUe

_KlUe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:17 PM

I like the write up. It is thorough. So, you've had pretty good success with steaming for 1.5 hours?

Yeah man, had good success :) Just have to make sure the foil is on tight enough around the glasses. The two layers also help with this :)

#7 _KlUe

_KlUe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:37 PM

Next steps..

- Take saucepan with lid on into a clean, sterilized area (i'm using bathroom) - Spray isopropyl everywhere around your area.
- Have spore syringe ready and a jet lighter with some isopropyl spray also.
- Heat the needle with the lighter to sterilize.
- Take the second layer of foil off the top of each jar, carefully making sure layer one is still intact and seemingly airtight.
- Innoculate each glass with 4 shots of spores - around the glass evenly. Do this BELOW the fresh vermiculite on top.
- Quickly as you finish each one, put the foil back on so no contam can get in the new holes. Do it tightly as you can without the foil breaking.
- Put them in a safe place for incubation - room temp is fine. Less humidity the better for this stage.

KlUe

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 003.jpg
  • Picture 002.jpg
  • Picture 001.jpg

#8 _KlUe

_KlUe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 05:27 PM

Ok, another update.

I've uploaded some pics - this is day 5 since inoculation.

All glasses are nicely growing mycelium, except one of them i've got some doubts..

I didn't get a pic of it because it was that small, but it looked like on the tops of the mycelium in one area it was turning slightly black in just one area.
So to be safe I have moved it to a different location - will let you know if its just me seeing things when it progresses.

Anyways check out the pics (taken from phone, apologies for the crap quality, cam ran out of batteries).

I estimate another 1.5 weeks until they're ready to birth.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image319.jpg
  • Image318.jpg

#9 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 05:35 PM

coming right along.
i remember a few other 'shotglass' teks over the years,
think might even still be some good pix on the archives
or the DVD of some....
nice thread

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 05:40 PM

ah, here's one-

Posted Image

#11 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 06:28 PM

Nice write up and pics guys.........

Congrats on the success w/ the boiling :D

#12 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 06:46 PM

Good stuff CIUe...Thnx for the alternative Tek.......:thumbup:

#13 visualosophy

visualosophy

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:30 PM

I wish I knew about this when I first started
Excelent write up

#14 _KlUe

_KlUe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:54 PM

ah, here's one-

Posted Image

Ahh, sweet. Never seen that pic, looks crazy!
Cheers!
KlUe

#15 _KlUe

_KlUe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:56 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys - always good when you get positive posts!
I'll definitely post some more pics as progress moves along... Probably within the week.
Peace,
KlUe

#16 _KlUe

_KlUe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:57 AM

Ok guys new update (finally)...

Substrate looks almost ready to birth - there are a couple of spots that haven't grown over yet so it'll be another 3-5 days until its thickened up and spread evenly.

KlUe

Attached Thumbnails

• Image351.jpg
  • Image350.jpg

#17 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:58 AM

looks healthy enough so far,
are you exposing to light daily yet ?

#18 _KlUe

_KlUe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:08 PM

looks healthy enough so far,
are you exposing to light daily yet ?

Not yet mate, do you recommend I start putting some fluoro on them a couple hrs a day?

Last grow I remember giving them a slight amount of light but have not done so this time.

Peace

#19 _KlUe

_KlUe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:00 AM

Ok.. Finally, i've birthed 3 out of the 4 cakes.

The other cake was sliced up and broken into some chunks to cover a 1 litre capacity black plastic tray.

I used a 50/50 peat/vermiculite mix, and also tried a small amount of moist rice flour over the top level (which is purely experimental), with a little bit of dry verm on top. It looks like a mould but its only rice flour btw :)

Substrate was sterilized in the microwave for 5 minutes and then let to cool.
My only doubt is that the vermiculite was a different brand than my usual and it is much finer than i'd have liked.....

So this is going to turn out to be my new experiment..

At the moment i've got some plastic wrap over the tub (My other humidity dome is in use for a few more days with some seedlings), but it will go in there soon.

Peace,

KlUe

Attached Thumbnails

• Image371.jpg
  • Image367.jpg
  • Image365.jpg
  • Image366.jpg

#20 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:14 AM

happy birthday to your fluffly cakes :eusa_clap

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!