• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 papalion

papalion

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 01:37 PM

This thread blew my mind, just HAD to share.

Cheap, Easy positive pressure clean hepa filtered glove box.

http://www.thenook.o...l=glovebox&st=0

Attached Thumbnails

• glovebag.jpg
  • glovebag_with_hands.jpg

#2 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:05 PM

Can you describe this for people that aren't members of the nook? Kind of unit, size of unit (like airflow), procedure, etc. ?

Looks pretty spiffy! .... and inexpensive!

#3 malefacter

malefacter

:P

• Expired Member
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:11 PM

im not a member of the nook eather but if its cheap how good could be the filter?

#4 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:23 PM

I have found sweeper bags that are hepa quality- see link below. The lower hepa standard- but hepa just the same. They were relatively inexpensive.

All your really talking about is a filter capable of catching the tiny nasties and a fan capable of pushing enough air through it. There are several small units at places like walmart that are cheap.

http://mycotopia.net...ight=hepa tyvek

#5 malefacter

malefacter

:P

• Expired Member
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:39 PM

i dont know maybe you wold have to have a good squirrel cage fan to push air through it

#6 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:53 PM

No, they come ready to go out of the box. Their made for cleaning and deodorizing air in the house. Small units for small rooms, of course. Some got ionizers, ozonators and other tricks. But the good ones will say HEPA on the box. Plug it in and turn it on and you got hepa clean air.

#7 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:22 PM

I think it is a neat idea and it looks pretty damn spiffy. I do like new things and experimentiation, but upon seeing it with hands in it I wonder how much better than just a plain ole still air gb it is. It really does not allow for more freedom. The filter and fan just seem to be somthing else to worry about, cleaning maintenance etc etc. I know it is filtered air but it still seems like another possible avenue of contamination and just another thing to worry about.

Again, what ever floats your boat but when it comes to cheap gb it seems the simpler the better for the home hobbiest.

Just my 2 cents and that really is about all my opinion is worth.

#8 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,954 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:34 PM

not to rain on parades but that doesn't look very sterile friendly. from my experience posi pressure boxes are more trouble than they are worth. UNLESS it's made right. even the smallest crack can send a cloud of nasties into your chamber and with the air swirling around something is bound to get into your work. unless they went thru and cleaned and sealed all around that filter (thats assuming that the filter is even sufficient.) with somekind of sealant. so i think a still air would be better in this case... no air movement. but i like the idea of the bag. a lot actually. what about this... take a 6 inch 3/4 in Dia. tubing and stuff with polyfil (kinda like one of hippies airports but longer... this is the filter) and seal the opening of the bag around one end and use an air pump to pump air into the bag thru the filter from the other end. pc'ing the polyfilled tubing first of course and using right out of the pc. super simple, and effective i'm guessin. just came up with it now so i haven't tried it before but logic says it should work, as long as the polyfil filters and if it's going thru 6 inches i'm guessin it would... whatdya think?

fahtster

#9 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:30 PM

I use an upside down large sterilite container with both ends cut off. One end has a similar, but larger, device duct taped in. Heavy on the duct tape. the other end has a plexiglass 'sneeze gaurd' and then bottom is open for arms. There is a towel that drapes over the arms. The whole unit is duct taped to a table. Its ghetto. But it works awesome and I have very few contamed agar plates. Mostly it was just an experiment cause I didn't much like the glove box experience. Mine is similar- but different enough to allow for more vision and movement. The top is plexiglass too- and I put a fluorescent light on top for lots of bright light. I would rather have a huge flowhood- but I did this on the cheap (and it looks it) and am pretty pleased so far.

Point is that these units really do work and if you have a properly sealed environment- which isn't hard- and you do get good results. (Assuming they are true HEPA)

This design kind of intrigues me. I think it would work for very small scale and quick things. Then you could turn it off and throw it in the closet. But then, these things are like fish tanks. You can get a ten gallon. But its a sure thing your only gonna want that 90 gallon with a matching oak stand in the end. So you might as well just go for it.

#10 Guest_greysRDbest_*

Guest_greysRDbest_*

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:12 PM

just curious because im about to attempt building a glovebox, so go easy on me here im a noob. could you make a standard glovebox with a tub and gloves....mount a very well sealed filter on one side and run a shop vac to the other side so you maintained positive clean airflow one direction or is this asking for trouble in some way im not seeing. not trying to reinvent the wheel or anything- would it cause pressure problems or be difficult to work in?

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:19 PM

i remember seeing this before,
and as i recall
it failed when tested by some members here

#12 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:20 PM

if you want positive pressure
then build your own real flowhood ,
not much harder than one of these contraptions
and more effective by far

#13 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:56 PM

Grey, Why don't you give a standard glovebox a try? They are easy and cheap and you will find lots of different examples, with instructions, on this site. I didn't like mine, but some people get on just fine with them. I think MANY people would probably be more accurate. Plus it will be good education and little work. And they really do work.

Simple = better, imo, until you get a feel for things and know what you like and don't like. If you don't like it, you will still have something that will work, at little cost, until you come up with a different solution.

All that said, if you want to go for it, an actual flowhood would rock.

And what is it that person is holding in your avatar. Please tell me that is a lions mane. No wait... Please tell me that is a lions mane AND please tell me your going to find another from the same spot next year and send me a sample! :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!