• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 antivanity

antivanity

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:50 PM

What’s up guys, been reading this forum for a month or so, and decided to go ahead and jump in and grow a few for my self as well. I decided on the popcorn tek, as it’s easy to find and cheap. I knocked up my qt jars on the 12th 6 days ago and have pretty much no growth. For the first 5 days the temps inside the incubator were hovering around 85-86F. I then started searching on the topic of temps and found that the air temp inside the incubator is best kept around 75ish. I made this adjustment and the next day saw growth inside the creeper jar (see pic).

Quick overview of the steps I took:
1. PC corn for 60 mins, rinse heavily, dry very well.
2. 1/4 inch verm bottom of jars, fill 3/4 jars with corn.
3. PC jars for 60 mins
4. Let jars cool to room temp for 24 hours
5. Knocked em up then rolled the corn around to disperse the spores.
6. Put em in the incubator

Few quick questions:
1. The humidity is ok inside the jars? (see pics)
2. What are possible causes that they haven’t started to grow yet ? and if they don’t by the 10th day, should I give up on em ?

I must learn patience :puke:

Attached Thumbnails

• mmmpop-06.jpg
  • mmmpop-05.jpg
  • mmmpop-04.jpg
  • mmmpop-03.jpg
  • mmmpop-02.jpg
  • mmmpop-01.jpg

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:37 PM

you look ok,
patience
:meditate:

#3 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:49 PM

I've gotta ask. You pc'd the corn for an hour and then rinsed and drained? How did you hydrate it? By pc'ing it in water? It looks really good none the less.

85 degrees is pushing it. It's good to see that you've dropped the temperature. I shoot for 80 myself, but 75 is much better than comfortable room temps. Looks good! Good luck.

#4 antivanity

antivanity

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:09 PM

Lazlo, i pc'ed about 1 and 1/2 qt's of dry corn in 3 qt's of water for 60 mins.

thank you for the reply hippie/lazlo

#5 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,032 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:17 PM

Looks great!

Remember... 'no growth' is a hell of a lot better than 'green growth'... hang in there a little longer...

#6 Guest_DaGoon_*

Guest_DaGoon_*

Posted 19 January 2007 - 12:24 AM

If it ever gets too mushy, you can
wait an extra day before you inoculate, and that usually clears it up.

#7 antivanity

antivanity

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 06:48 PM

Hey DaGoon, this is my first run ever. Thanks for the tip. It seem's that PCing popcorn with the ratio i stated in my first post gets it perfect every time (2 times so far).

Growth is still yet to be seen. Patience is tough on the first grow for sure :special:

#8 antivanity

antivanity

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 144 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 12:52 PM

Day 8: No growth, Creeper jar's white spot is turning deep blue'ish or green, cant tell yet. :eusa_wall

#9 jrogers311

jrogers311

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 406 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:38 AM

It took me a couple of tries b4 I got the moisture right for my conditions. I would wait until it contams b4 throwing out and I'll send some positive wishes your corns way. :meditate:

#10 Guest_DaGoon_*

Guest_DaGoon_*

Posted 22 January 2007 - 02:47 AM

day eight?
time to start over..
are you rinsing thoroughly enough?
MAYBE theres too much starch, but thats just an
assumtion.

#11 antivanity

antivanity

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:19 AM

Day 10 now and the Creeper jar's white spot is now green... gonna toss it tonight. The other 2 B+ jars are completely empty. I rinsed the corn for about 10 minutes under cold water. Then dried them out on a clean towel. Im really not sure where i went wrong, very confused. :cry:

Just read a tek that said that one should shake grain jars every 4-5 days until colonized.. is this correct ?

#12 antivanity

antivanity

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:43 AM

Upon doing some research sparked by DaGoon, its noted that splitting of the corn can cause starch to reach undesirable levels. I have lots of split kernels. So tonight i guess I'll do up 3 more jars and try again. If any one has any suggestions before i do another round of jars please let me know. Thank you all for the help :headbang: ya'll rock

#13 Guest_DaGoon_*

Guest_DaGoon_*

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:29 AM

See i was worried about that too.
But i also read that you need some starches
to start the grow.
So maybe cracked kernels isnt the problem
ive got a few jars with several cracked kernels
that are doing great..
some people even say its easier for the myc
to colonize the corn, when the insides are exposed..

it might be the spores themselves..
did you make the syringe yourself?
did you let the syringe sit for over 12 hours before use?

And ive also heard that popcorn doesnt have to be shook.. shaken.. er
if anyone has any info on that,
it might be helpful.

#14 antivanity

antivanity

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:43 AM

I got the spores from spores101 (dunno if thats a sponsor or not). But before i hit up my jars i shook em up pretty good

#15 malefacter

malefacter

:P

• Expired Member
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:09 PM

The spores may be growing on the inside and not worked its way out.

What kind of lid filter setup do you have? (never mind) if i wer you id switch to the tyvek filter lid setup

Iv never used the verm but if you have less than a tbsp of excess water the corn will absorb it just shake it a bit

split corn isn't a big problem as long as you rinse very through with cold water to stop the cooking

be careful when cooking corn in the pc it can clog up the vent

#16 antivanity

antivanity

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:18 PM

Yep, i have 2 screens i used to help prevent the PC from embedding corn kernels into my walls.

The Lids on my jars have 2 holes, 1 is siliconed and the FAE hole is 1/4 of an inch with pollyfill.

I put the verm at the bottom just incase, as this is my first run. I knew it couldnt hurt any thing..

I did rinse the corn for about 10 mins with cold water. I did this right after the pressure fell on the PC to help get all the starch out.

So far as the spores growing in the inner core of the jars, i took one of the B+ jars last night and lightly shook it to move all the kernels around to see if it was growing on the inside, and saw no signs of this happening.

#17 antivanity

antivanity

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:32 PM

Did up another set of 3 jars today, going to tweek a few things and see what kind of a difference i can get. Will update in 7-10 days.

Thank you all again :)

#18 antivanity

antivanity

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 144 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:28 PM

So here we are, 8 days later on the second attempt. The first set of jars I did on 1-18-07 never did any thing.. at all. Not even contaminate. I tossed them today.

on 1-23-07 (8 days ago) made up a batch of 3 more jars pretty much same method. I let the corn cook a little shorter this time to prevent the kernels from cracking. I also shook the crap out of the syringes before inoculation. It’s the same story, nothing. :cry:<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:15pt; height:15pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://mycotopia.net/forums/images/smilies/myco_smilies/cry.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->

Also on 1-23-07, after inoculation of the jars, i noticed allot of spores stuck on the inside of the syringe. I took some distilled water and a little bit of hunny and decided to see if I could even get an LC to grow in the syringe. And.. they are showing signs of growth, although minimal.

Can any one help me please? I’m going crazy here!! :eusa_sile <!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1026" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:11.25pt;height:11.25pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image002.gif" o:href="http://mycotopia.net/forums/images/smilies/myco_smilies/eusa_silenced.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->

#19 alligator

alligator

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:53 PM

I got the spores from spores101 (dunno if thats a sponsor or not).

theres your problem. i think there has been quite a few bad reviews about those guys. stick to the sponsors here at topia and you will be OK. shoot me a pm and ill send ya a tex print.
good luck, gator

#20 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:10 PM

This is how my FOAF does popcorn:
http://mycotopia.net...497&postcount=3

What you are doing sounds good, though. Split kernels are only a big problem if you don't rinse thoroughly.

I think the spores may be your problem. The vendor you mention doesn't have an exactly stellar reputation. It sucks, in fact.

I would strongly suggest chalking this one up to experience and acquiring a new syringe from one of these guys:

http://mycotopia.net....php?pg=banners

My FOAF has had outstanding results from TheGoodSPore, Sporeworks, and Sporelab. My friend has never used Ralphsters, but he has heard VERY good things about them.

Good luck!!!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!