Paradox
©
Fisana

Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

Experiment


  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 BaconSquishy

BaconSquishy

    Mycophage

  • Expired Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:23 PM

Alright guys heres the scoop. Late summer near the end of the season i had found some random spores outside so i said ok ill see what happens. I took them and kept them in a bag for about a week while gathering supplies and creating a flour and vermiculite substrate in 500ml tapered jars. So eventually it was ready and i inoculated then let them sit under my desk for about a month until i checked and they were fully colunized allbeit for a bit of mildew (not planning on eating the mushrooms i grow so i dont think this would be of any effect). I then proceeded to place 1 of the cakes in a terrarium useing the perlite method to keep relative humidity up and i hav seran wrap on the top to keep it in. The temperature is about 79-81 in the tank and i dont know the relative humidity (meters are hard to find for me and i cant figure out all the dewpoint and stuff like that). I have an icandescent light bulb aka my desk light on around 14-18 hours a day and there is also a window that lets in sunlight during the day. So far it has been a fairly long time with no pinheads at all on the substrate. From what i have discribed, can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong and how i can fix it. Please look at the attached photos.

Attached Thumbnails

  • IMG_0313.jpg
  • IMG_0167.jpg
  • IMG_0312.jpg


#2 reefer

reefer

    Mod of the Ocean

  • Expired Member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:41 PM

That doesn't look like mushroom mycelium. Just looks like a block of mold.

What do you mean by 'found some random spores outside'??? You say that you saw mildew in the jars? You're not likely to get any fruit from that in my opinion.

#3 golly

golly

    modapotato

  • Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:43 PM

Welcome to Topia...!
Many species will not fruit on cakes and can be quite particular about their fruiting conditions...

#4 BaconSquishy

BaconSquishy

    Mycophage

  • Expired Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:10 PM

Thanks for the replys. Until i could see if i could grow anything i didnt want to spend money on spores that might not work. You might be right about the certain mushrooms because this wasnt exactly like a mushroom with a stalk and such, i would more describe it as similar in looks to an oyster mushroom. I also have another project pending which you guys could give your opinions on. At christmas i purchased an already inoculated mushroom log with shiitake spores. It arived early but i gave it a couple days to rest and then on christmas opening it up and read the instructions which said to soak in water for a day which i did (unfortunatly i had to visit relatives so it sat for more like 36 hours). Then upon removing it from water i banged it against the floor (again instructions) to mix up the saw dust inside or something. I then put it standing upright in a pie dish with water in the bottom in indirect sunlight. I saw a special on shiitakes which said the temp should be around 16 degress celcius and my room was too hot so i moved it to my basement where it is around 13-14 degrees. Light is an incandescent thats on about maybe 15 minutes a day since nobodys down there that often. Also the instructions say in 2-5 days mushroom buds should starts to appear? Are they wrong or is my stuff wrong? That was then and now same situation as other mushrooms which is no mushrooms. What do you guys think?

Attached Thumbnails

  • IMG_0317.jpg
  • IMG_0315.jpg


#5 Guest_twizzz_*

Guest_twizzz_*
  • Guest

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:20 PM

I'm definitley no expert but I'd say thats mold on your log, I ordered a shitake brick a couple of years ago, I opened the box for about 20 seconds when it first arrived, then decided I should leave it til I was ready. A week later I was ready, so I took it out of the box and Blammo, fully formed shitake's, the flash of light had set them off is what I've been thinking since then, they were totally white too, presumably from growing in total darkness. Anyone have an idea if this correct.

What type of wood is that shitake log?

#6 BaconSquishy

BaconSquishy

    Mycophage

  • Expired Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:25 PM

What type of wood is that shitake log?

I believe it is oak not sure though. If it is mold do you think i could get a refund or a new log or something from this company?

#7 Guest_twizzz_*

Guest_twizzz_*
  • Guest

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:54 AM

I couldn't guess, contact the supplier

#8 BaconSquishy

BaconSquishy

    Mycophage

  • Expired Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 01:37 AM

Since it was pre-inoculated was it my fault that it got moldy or theres? if its mine what should i do differently next time?

#9 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

    Embrace Your Damage

  • Moderator
  • 12,227 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:01 AM

Get the log out of your house. It's loading up your indoor air with trich spores, and that is not ideal. It can jeopardize future grow attempts.

I'd call the supplier and ask about this. If it were my log that I'd made myself (no warranty possibilities) I'd probably try to kill the mold by taking it outside and hitting the green with a gentle applcation of a propane torch. Not so much as to ignite the wood or bark, but enough to penetrate a bit. I might be way off in that approach, so wait until someone experienced with log culture offers a suggestion...

#10 BaconSquishy

BaconSquishy

    Mycophage

  • Expired Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:11 PM

Ok will do thanks for the responce. The instructions say that if nothing happens after following the instructions allow it to dry out for 3-4 weeks then repeat the instructions. If i did this would i remedy the problem?

#11 BaconSquishy

BaconSquishy

    Mycophage

  • Expired Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:25 PM

If i were to pry off a bit of the bark and cut off a piece of mycelium then put it in a substrate would it still be infected with trich or would it work? Also can someone please provide me with a simple equation for figureing out relative humidity? (cant find a meter).

#12 Bobcat

Bobcat

    Selah!

  • Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:49 PM

You can also try scrubbing the face of your log with some h2o2. Not like heavy scrubbing, just pour some on and rub it. Let foam a while and rinse. But the torch would work. Yeah, I think that would work pretty good.

Then take it outside and sit it somewhere if possible. Lay it on the ground or even bury the bottom third so it is upright. You should contact your supplier. Cut to the chase: If they won't help you, let nature take over. The sun and fresh air will control remaining mold. Rain and seasons will bring on fruits. Er, most likely that is. I wouldn't try experimenting with it, personally.

#13 BaconSquishy

BaconSquishy

    Mycophage

  • Expired Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:00 PM

Thank you for your opinions. I did try the torch method yesterday, think i got all the trich on the top but would it be on the inside too? Also i cant put it outside because it is winter here and quite cold. Not to mention hard ground, frost and snow.

#14 BaconSquishy

BaconSquishy

    Mycophage

  • Expired Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 05:21 PM

Anyone? its been like 3 or 4 days since blowtorch and still no mushrooms

#15 Hippie3

Hippie3

    DUNG DEALER

  • Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 05:31 PM

next time skip the torch,
sunlight is enough to kill trich.
trying to be fair
if you over-soaked it and also neglected it a week
i don't see how your supplier can be at fault.
now if the mold was there when you got it
then sure, his fault.
but if it got to you healthy
and only contaminated after being neglected and overdunked
then i'd say you should take it like a man as your own fault.

#16 BaconSquishy

BaconSquishy

    Mycophage

  • Expired Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:33 PM

Whether or not it is my fault is there anyway i can fix it?

#17 Guest_DaGoon_*

Guest_DaGoon_*
  • Guest

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:32 PM

would you be willing to start over?
that would fix your problem,
and you'd start off the next grow
a little bit wiser

other than that,
i think you should listen to bobcat..
outside grows are amazing, and
often take little to no maintanence

#18 Bobcat

Bobcat

    Selah!

  • Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 11:07 PM

Hip makes good points.

It's shiitake, right? If it still gives you probs, then don't let the outside temps concern you. A slow acclimation is always better. Is it small? You could put it in your fridge for a few days then outside. Thats the best advice I can offer. (but to be honest I would just put it outside and expect it to be fine. no promises though!!!)

#19 BaconSquishy

BaconSquishy

    Mycophage

  • Expired Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:24 AM

So your saying i can put it in the -10 weather outside and will be fine? Dont know where you guys are but its winter here...the temps wont kill it?

#20 BaconSquishy

BaconSquishy

    Mycophage

  • Expired Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:40 PM

Ok update on log. Put it outside today. Wish me the best.




Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!