• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 coldfire

coldfire

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:22 AM

Help?! My cakes have been in a fruiting chamber for 2 weeks now. Signs of pinning today!!! But I also noticed some small black specks on my perlite. Perlite wasn't sterilized(baked) before use it was fresh out of a bag. I used peroxide 20:1 for the 1/2inch of water at the bottom of my chamber, all the pf cakes are doing great no sign of contams on them but I want to get this figured out b4 its too late. I will post some pix when I get my camera charged, can't seem to find the charger(wouldn't you know it). bbl any info in the mean time is much appreciated.

peace - coldfire

#2 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,422 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:38 AM

Pictures will help, but shooting in the dark here it sounds like bits of vermiculite scattered around are a more likely source than contams on perlite, esp. so soon and with peroxide water too. Coming out of a bag from the store it's damn near sterile.

My bet: No worries.

#3 Soliver1

Soliver1

Deranged

• Expired Member
  • 631 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 02:24 PM

You can always bake a new batch of perlite in the oven for 30 minutes @ 350,
hydrate it, and swap it out for the perlite you're currently using, if it's a real concern.

I've seen perlite get moldy, but it takes a while, although this can happen faster if you over-hydrate your perlite... there shouldn't be any standing water in the tub, so if you poke a gloved finger into your damp perlite, water shouldn't seep in to fill the hole.

:)

soliver

#4 coldfire

coldfire

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 05:36 PM

okay heres some pix of the cakes in the terrarium. My concern with the perlite is declining(lets hope it keeps going this way). Before I posted I added enough 3% peroxide to fill up the bottom 1/2-3/4inch of perlite, 3 inches of perlite about. I also have to air stones(small kind) on the very bottom underneath the perlite. When my camera decides to coporate with me I'll take a shot of the under side of the terra. This morning it looked like cobweb on the very bottom 1/4inch of the tub, so in went the peroxide, just as a note there was also pieces of perlite turning black. Since then the myc of the cobweb seems to be disappearing. The cakes also looked a little webbed up this morning so I hit they with the mist bottle and got them good, you can see where theres like pits, or holes in the cakes what do you think? This is after the peroxide treatment. Hopefully things will get better, this is my first attempt at this new found hobby. I hope I can at least get one decent flush. There is four cakes in there now. I also have six PES Hawiian halfpints in my TiT, as well as a 1lb whole corn myco bag. I noc'd them up last tuesday, and there is already alot of pretty white myc, lets hope they stay contam free. They are in the same room with the Fruit Chamber, of course I try not to open the TiT up but once a week. The top layer of verm in the halfpints should be more then enough protection against and stray crap in the air I hope... I cleaned the room from ceiling to floor this morning, I want to make sure this doesn't get out of hand. The last thing I want to do is bleach bomb my house...I probably should anyways I can't seem to get rid of that damned bathroom/shower mold. Anyways take a look at the cakes and let me know how I'am doing, is there anything that I didn't notice? I'll try and get a picture of the tub in a few..brb

peace - coldfire :rasta:

Attached Thumbnails

• cake_002.jpg
  • cake_003.jpg
  • cake_half_001.jpg

#5 Soliver1

Soliver1

Deranged

• Expired Member
  • 631 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:22 AM

Cakes look OK, there's some bluish spots on pic 1 and 2, hopefully just bruising, hard to tell for sure from here. Cake 3 has two nice pins on it (huzzah!) so that's a good sign.

Again, you don't want to pour water, peroxide, etc., into your perlite tub. Put the perlite in a strainer, soak it with water / whatever you like to use, let it drain , THEN put it in the tub. Standing water is the best way to grow cobweb mold in your terrarium.

:)

soliver

#6 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,422 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2007 - 09:54 AM

My vote on the blue spots is bruising.

Pic #1 and #2 also are starting to fruit, #1 has what I'd call primordia, and #2 has a pin nearly set and some primordia...

At this point don't spray the cakes directly unless you have very good FAE.

Cake #1 primordia-
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1169391144

Cake#2 primordia/pins-
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1169391185

At this point, minimize messing with them. Many cakes are "loved" to death by anxious cultivators...

Attached Thumbnails

• primordia1jpg.jpg
  • primordia2jpg.jpg

#7 eastwood

eastwood

Dragon Bait

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,612 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:14 AM

Im no professional but looks like first signs of cantom.... i hope not for you tho... and again pictures are not clear and im no professional

#8 coldfire

coldfire

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 11:52 AM

That is just bruising, hit the wall of the terrarium. Everything is looking really good this morning. I will drain of excess water today, or start with fresh perlite...probably the best idea. Anyways looking real sweet. How often should I drop some water on the top of the cakes? The vermiculite looks a little dry every 2 days or so.. thanks people.

peace - coldfire

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!