• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:58 PM

Golly, I always thought you used barreled alcohol to get that red extract, lol. I have used 190 proof, just one percent over rt's and mine was near the same color as his, lol, weird?
Any way, mine was a small batch but potent. I used just 30 grams of dried boomers( a mix of creeper and red boys) and used 300ml of the Vodka. After about( I didn't count the days) 2-3 weeks I got tired of waiting and did a double boiler style extraction, with the vodka boiling down 3 times or so. I then added a bit more vodka, filtered while still hot, and evaporated it back down to 150 ml. I figured about 5ml per gram.

The color stayed about the same the whole process, darkening a bit. The potency was substantial. I measured out 10ml for Merm(approx. 2 grams). (ask Merm) lol, She hasn't dosed since then.
I'm not proud of that one though, as I love to dose with her and prefer it over going alone. :( . That was months ago.:amazed: :gah:

Like you said Golly, I don't think potency has much to do with color. But hey, I'll taste yours if you want to compare.;)

#22 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:59 PM

You can extract with Isopropyl but you can't drink it,so you would have to evaporate completely first..The remaining goop is unstable and won't keep long..

#23 Guest_Water_*

Guest_Water_*

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:53 PM

I did an extract a month and a half ago using 153 proof alcohol and 80 dry grams of lipa yai.

I let it sit for three weeks and shook the jar once a day.

I filtered using a handkerchief then a gold mesh coffee filter.

I evaporated down to 1/4 the amount over a 24 hour period.

First try I did a 1/2 ounce dose which I hardly felt.

Second try I did a full ounce which I felt a slight body buzz but had no visuals.

Third try I did a full two ounces and felt a slightly better body buzz but still no visuals and ended up feeling a little sick towards the end.

What I learned from the experience was that making tea with shroom powder works best for me personally.

Imho I think that drowning shrooms in alcohol kills some of their natural magic.

#24 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:27 PM

hey water,
1st 2nd and 3rd try, were those from the same extraction? If so maybe something just went wrong with it.? Im sure they lose a bit.

#25 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:50 PM

I'm in agreement with water on this.

Alcohol extractions are inefficient. I'd say around 20% effective.

That said, if you are a wealthy person with lots to spare, extractions are a good way of having a QUICK and SMOOOOOOOTH lift off.

#26 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:17 AM

Somethings wrong if your only getting 20%...In Water's case it maybe the low alcohol content...In 151 Rum it proly only takes a day or so to extract, then gradually weakening after that ,due to the higher water content..If you see a green color developing then the brew is headed South...

Coyote..Heh ,yeah it can suprise ya sometimes ..Sorry to hear bout Merm takin the bullet...Really have to tread lightly with extraction experiments..

#27 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:19 AM

I've used 151 rum before but never let it sit for 3 weeks.

Think that could have an effect?

#28 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:34 AM

When you evapourate down 151 rum the water content increases in comparison to the alcohol content and it's preservative property also decreases...
Fresh dried Mush is still the most efficient way to preserve psilly though..

#29 Guest_Water_*

Guest_Water_*

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:53 AM

It was 153 proof grain alcohol, not 151 rum.

#30 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:13 AM

When you evapourate down 151 rum the water content increases in comparison to the alcohol content

It was 153 proof grain alcohol, not 151 rum.

76.5 % vs 75.5 %,(not much difference) Golly's point is that there is a higher content of water in the alcohol. Water evaps slower than the alcohol so after some time, and some evaporating, your left with an extraction with more than the original 23.5-24.5% of water. With the things we have learn about the magic getting zapped by water, your extraction isn't going to last as long.

#31 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:47 AM

Alcohol extractions are inefficient. I'd say around 20% effective.

I have to disagree..I'd say closer to 75-80%

#32 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:30 PM

I used just 30 grams of dried boomers( a mix of creeper and red boys) and used 300ml of the Vodka

CM, your extraction would have been a little lite on the alcohol too :eusa_thin I never did any measuring, just threw them in and poured in the booze. Glad to hear your extraction worked:thumbup:

#33 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:22 PM

Do you mean light as in not much alcohol?

Yeah it was, in a quart jar i kept adding the 190 proof cause it was evaporating quick. I only had a jar in the pot of water so space was and issue. The 30 grams powdered to almost nothing so a lot of vodka was not needed I thought? I used the old coffee grinder.
If I had BIG BOYZ like your foaf always get, hell I would have had two fifths and a pound of boomers. haha

#34 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:31 AM

Do you mean light as in not much alcohol?

Yes, I thought that 30grams to 300 mills would be less that 1.5X the volume sugested. The alky used in this attemp is quite a bit less than that too.

My foaf wanted to try it out this weekend but was roped into other plans. He's tripping next weekend for sure.

#35 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:44 AM

yeah, there was not much logic behind the idea
I had 35 grams of boomers and 750ml of booze. Knowing that some would evap I wanted to save plenty.
My buddy wanted to trip so I told him I could give him 5g cause I needed the rest for myself.
So with 30g I figured keeping the booze at 300ml I could easily measure the dose and I wouldn't have to wait a year for it to evap down to an sensible amount of nasty good stuff to dose.

#36 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:54 AM

To decrease your evaporation time lay out the alcohol extract in a large surface area container (say a cookie tray) and point a fan at it. It should evaporate down easily within a few hours.

#37 Soliver1

Soliver1

Deranged

• Expired Member
  • 631 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:42 PM

I'd say extractions are at least 80% effective, but then the experience is such a subjective one, we'll never really know for sure. I've never actually noticed a potency loss - can anyone really tell 2 grams from 1.6 after eating? Hard to say, as potency varies from shroom to shroom...

Honestly, if you don't have a 1/2 ounce to throw in the trash, you probably shouldn't mess with extractions. I lost 2 ounces once, the ONE time I used a double boiler to heat an extraction (first and last time I ever used heat).

Cold extraction is pretty much guaranteed as long as you use the correct ingredients (grain alcohol, not just "hi-proof"), don't do anything creative with it, and (of course) start out with good shrooms. Can't make chicken salad from chicken shit...

Fortunately, if you've been around the 'topia long enough, you probably have a FOAF who has lots of grow experience, and as any FOAF who's worth a damn will tell you, one good bulk grow will keep you in extract fodder for a very long time, unless you're either 1) very generous or 2) getting paid, which as anyone will tell you is a bad idea.

:)

#38 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:20 AM

"use the correct ingredients (grain alcohol, not just "hi-proof"),"

The trouble is that where I live you can't get ever clear. The best is 151 rum.

Are you saying that you can get 80% potency using this type of alcohol? :eusa_thin

#39 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:19 AM

Yes..80% is realistic number...

#40 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts