• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 cthulhu

cthulhu

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:16 PM

I don't post much but thats only because the info on this site is the most incredible reference to all the info I need. I learned everything I know, thats past PF, from this site. I have my teks that I like and the things that work for me. But im getting curious. I haven't seen any reference to the coffee tek working with any other grain. I have access to every grain you could imagine and i was wondering if the coffee boost would help other grains. I would love all your opinions, thanks

#2 aumbrellaforainydays

aumbrellaforainydays

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:39 PM

i guess the boost would be like it would effects humans! :crazy1: but there are seriously guys on here who presoak their grains with some kind of nutrient tea or coffee. i havent done it yet, because i am still finding my primary grain, but til then i'd love to see different ways to prepare jars.

#3 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:44 PM

Wait for others to weigh in...this is just one opinion...

Some folks have had good results with coffee, others think it sucks.

My FOAF things it sucks. All he got was nothing noticable (at higher dillution rates) and lots of trich (at lower dillution rates).

#4 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:58 AM

I actually like the coffee soak although I do not do it a lot right now, but only because it is just more time involved. But, yeah, bb is right a lot of people have problems with it.

What I do is take my used coffee grounds from that morning's brew. That is usually around 4-6 tbsp of used coffee grounds. I then add 1-2 more fresh tbsp back to the used ones and I fill my pot all the way up to the 12 cup mark and brew me a weak pot. I then take my rye grain, which is usually around 6-8 cups and put them in a pot and cover them with the 12 cups of weak cofee. If the level of coffee is not high enough I add to it a little water. I then put it on the stove and start cooking. Once the water has heated just a little I put about a half tsp or hydrated lime per cup of rye grain. So that would equal about 3-4 tsp of hydrated lime and I also add a pinch of gypsum per cup of rye. I bring all that to a rolling boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. I let it simmer for 30 minutes while stirring periodically. After they have simmered I drain well and stir them around. Then in the jars they go. I then let my jars sit for 24 hours with lids, filters, and alluminum foil on. Then into the pc they go for a 90 minute session.

I have noticed a slight reduction in colonization time but not a whole lot.

The only two things I really don't like about the coffee soak is the extra effort and the look of the grain. With lime and coffee the grain looks pretty damn nasty and with fresh water and no lime the grain looks super clean.

#5 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:06 AM

also see http://mycotopia.net...read.php?t=8640

#6 cthulhu

cthulhu

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 04:48 PM

Thanks for the input and the link. I think I will give it a few tries with some control jars of several grains and a soak with the same grains.

#7 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:37 AM

Seems like extra work for spotty results.

#8 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2007 - 06:55 AM

I would argue it is finesse work that provides some with enough performance boost to keep doing it. Though it never worked well for me, it has clearly worked quite well for some others.

I mean hey, if it works well enough for Dial8 to do it with any degree of regularity, something good is going on there (and I just missed it). No stress though, it happens. Everybody tends to find a niche in this hobby - they get one tek or process down pat and tend to favor it.

The cool thing is that just as "all roads lead to Rome," all sound/proven Teks (followed to the letter) lead to mushrooms!

#9 wayback

wayback

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:49 AM

I used a weak coffee solution in a five gallon bucket several times in the past. I almost wrote a tek about it once, but my results were mixed.

Here's what I did: fill approximately 1/5 of the bucket with rinsed birdseed (I usually fill up the bucket most of the way full with tap water, then use a dinner plate and old porch screen to strain the water). After repeating this proccess 3 or 4 times (until the water appears cleaner), I use a metal strainer to really rinse the birdseed.

Then I made and poured half gallon pictures of weak coffee into the birdseed, (which had been returned to it's orginal bucket) and filled it about 3/4's full.

Now determining the correct lime content according to Rodger varied. The first time around I mixed a teaspoon of lime to each picture, which had worked quite well with his rye grass tek. And while this methodolody seemed to work along the same lines as Rodgers, I turned around after an overnight soak in the coffee to use my metal strainer to rinse out the birdseed with tap water.

My next undertaking employed the same tap water rinse and coffee soak proceedure, except I added 7 or 8 teaspoons to the 5 gallon bucket after filling, which I don't believe had any real bearing on the project. Anyway, this time around I had decided that I might have weakened the coffee mixture by rinsing with tap water, so I just tipped the bucket on end (top to the ground, with plate and screen still inside to allow the coffee mix to slowly run out. And after about 45 minutes I squished the remaining birdseed (with the plate and screen fitting towards the back of the bucket to obtain what I felt was the usual birdseed moisture content.)

The results: First time with the tap water rinse seemed to not yeild not much more than my usual birdseed tek, however, the inclusion of lime may have tended to permit a longer period before contams set in. I think I got 4 flushes from this first project. The overall yeild was hard to tell as I had other projects going on also.

Of course, I may be held as predijuced when feeling my second coffee attempt kept closer to Mr. Rabbit's orginal rye grass recipe, but I believe the extra lime in the substurate might have prolonged those casings another flush, and most likely added to the yeild.

In retrospect, I would like to try the latter experiment again, and that was one of the reasons for me never trying staking a claim to fame on this board before. Because in the absence of photos and wieght, all i have to rely on is memory. Even so, I have used and swear by Rodgers rye grass tek, which led me into the crossover realm of birdseed, and has produced some mighty fine specimens in the past.

Still, I can only urge other members to pick up where I left off, and keep some sort of log (photos are best, even though I'm relucatant to post any myself).

I might would try again this year, but I have an asshole for a roommate, who has an affinity for telling my relatives what I'm doing, and soaking birdseed overnight in a bucket in the back yard is pushing the limits. So this year I made a few PF cakes, but the majority of my resources will go into Mr. Rabbit's rye grass tek.

In fact, I have one B+ qt jar that's just sreaming to be spawned to straw and worm castings. So I bleach pasturized a small amount of straw, and stove top pasturized a qt of worm castings.

Spawn on people, and please post your coffee/lime/birdseed results upon completion. I would certinatly like to see what others discover, because that's how true wisdom comes to pass, in bits and pieces. And just because knowledge sometimes arrives in crumbs, that shouldn't imply it's crummy. But then again, maybe Crummy bears will be the big thing next year

Who knowsCondilina Rice mya yet have a future after Bush's.

All I know for now it;s late and I'm tired, night ya'll.

#10 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:03 AM

Yeah.

I think...um...yeah?

#11 Sunstar

Sunstar

Gazer of the innerself

• Expired Member
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:20 PM

I dont think coffee help
but earthjuice sure does

#12 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:13 PM

I dont think coffee help
but earthjuice sure does

i haven't seen you posting any evidence of that
either...
what do you have ?

#13 Sunstar

Sunstar

Gazer of the innerself

• Expired Member
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:42 PM

i guess its what i dont have and thats a camera.
But the flushes are thicker and the myc grows more rhizzy on the spawn. If you use about a capful of that stuff with yer whole rice. Thats the only thing i have seen it work on so far.
Im about to try it on some wbs and see the effects.
http://mycotopia.net...arth-juice.html
I read that and thought they may be onto something.

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:58 PM

did you actually measure any changes or are you just eye-balling it ?

#15 Sunstar

Sunstar

Gazer of the innerself

• Expired Member
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:41 PM

i have compared jars of rice by eye and have seen the different myc patterns between the rice that was boil in a capful and jars that were boiled in reg water. And it also seemed if i added some potatoe water to the poo juice jars for the rice to boil in. they would finish colonizing quicker. I havnt used the potatoe water since that initial project. But may look into that soon.
This may just be my experience I dunno.
But when I boil my rice now I always add a capful.

#16 anarchOi

anarchOi

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:08 AM

i've heard of coffee helping on rye, rye grass seed, and popcorn

but what i've concluded about coffee is that, MAYBE it'll help, but more likely it'll just be that you think it's faster when it's not, and even more likely than that, you'll prolly get trich and have to start over.

#17 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:36 AM

i have used coffee before on my popcorn.. when i'd pc my popcorn to hydrate it, id drop in some coffee in the water.. then the popcorn would come out a little brownish..
if there was any increase in speed, i did not notice anything.. after a jar colonizes 30% and you shake it.. they all get done pretty quick..
if ever it even does increase the speed of growth, it wouldnt make much of a difference IMO..
it can be used for grains if you want but its really bad for substrates and casings coz it really brings in trich :puke: IME

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!