• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 04:59 PM

wondering if any is brewing cider/beer/wine or had and how did it go.

im brewing 1 and a half gallons. but the steriliser i used is in the other bottle so i dont think i can drink that. but the demijon seems fine(gallon) so i will see how it looks in 2 weeks time:eusa_clap

#2 yerbaadam

yerbaadam

SpectraL veNtriloQuist

• Expired Member
  • 782 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:57 PM

I've wanted to make cider fo years. I make kambucha all the time. Is it similar? Can you do a breif write up on your methods? I would be really into it.

>Yer fRiend, nAscAr denDriTE duDLEy

#3 RootsDubJah

RootsDubJah

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:12 PM

I've brewed beer. It's a lot of fun. I inherited the brewing equipment from a co-worker who stopped doing it, so it was cheap to get into. It's real easy to brew great tasting beer, just watch your contaminates. Either buy or checkout from the library "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" by Charlie Papazian.

#4 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:27 PM

basically, i just used 4 litres of cheap apple juice +some brewing yeast and mixed it all in a demijon, thats about it really. im going to leave it to ferment for 2 weeks or until it finishes, then siphon it off into 4 1 litre bottles.

i cleaned the demijon with a steriliser and throughly rinsed it, although i still think its got some on the glass???

im also trying to make a pinapple cider? wine???

#5 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,031 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:54 PM

I've got some beer going... I'll post pics later.

#6 HaiLeY

HaiLeY

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:10 AM

There is always some beer on the go here, sometimes some ginger beer too...mmmm :)

#7 yerbaadam

yerbaadam

SpectraL veNtriloQuist

• Expired Member
  • 782 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:45 AM

sO is that h0W ciDer iS cuLTureD comErciaLLy? I've Heard thEre arE "secrEt" mETH0dS and thAt moSt ciDer makErs rArelY discLose theiR proCess.
Is thIs truE as fAr as yAll knoW?

>>Yer frIEnd nnnna sCarden deRite dOo0Dley

#8 eternalfrost

eternalfrost

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 811 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:46 PM

making cider from scratch is easy and dirt cheap around here. just press a load of 'second rate' apples, the stuff that dosent quite make the cut for sale but not rotten, and toss them all in a airlocked container and leave around for a few months. the yeasts are naturally in there, or you can always add in some of your own.

farmers will usually give away buckets full of this stuff for free or dirt cheap if you ask at the right time.

a realy great and simple way to make an airlock is to just take a baloon and wash it out and put a pin-prick in the thick tip of it. it will puff up some and the pressure keeps any fresh air from getting in while letting the exess out.

#9 safTman

safTman

easily distracted

• Free Member
  • 566 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:30 PM

I brew beer, wine, mead, and will distill any extra wort i may have around. :eusa_shhh I love it all. The porters and stouts are my fav's for beer.
Wine if fine while friut is in season (for makeing) and mead is nice around christmas. just my 2 cents

#10 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,031 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:31 AM

I bought a Mr. Beer kit over X-mas, was going to give it away as a present... but I ended up keeping it. I know... a kit.. blah.. but it'll be something to brew while I read up on how to make wort myself. (the wort comes in a can... and you take it from there...)

Octoberfest Vienna Lagar is what's in the barrel... the thing I like the most is the bottle capper gadget. I think I'll try adding 15 ml of mushie everclear extract (1.5) to the bottle when adding the priming sugar... dunno if that's dumb, but I'll try it next batch...

If you could please post any wort making or complete beer making recipes you have.. also very interested in how to make a great tasting strawberry wine...

thx

Attached Thumbnails

• JAN21 011.jpg
  • JAN21 012.jpg
  • JAN21 010.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!