• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 eternalfrost

eternalfrost

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 811 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:51 PM

Elevation is critical. My reply to the above post was to prevent people from thinking they could just puts some jars in pots and boil away. There's more to it than that. Steaming really deserves its own tek or write up.

Fortuantely grains aren't necessary to be successful in this hobby so spending $200.00 + shipping on an All American PC is strictly optional.

with PF jars you really basically can just load them in a pot and boil away almost. the only things you have to worry bout are water getting in the jars and them cracking from the heat. both easily solved.

just lay a hand towel in the pot to keep the glass from cracking. cap the jars with a square of tin foil just crumpled over the top. problems solved. toss some water in there, use your head and just dont use enough to make things start floating around, you can always top it off it it all boils away. the water level isnt critical at all ime. boil for 90 min and your done.

for grains, they also sell small like 6 quart PC's at targets and such for only like 25 bucks. small if your doing jars of grains, but works awsome with oven bags since you can fill up the whole 6-8 QT in each run.

#22 psilocerebral

psilocerebral

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:54 PM

Regarding the loss of moisture due to dry heat, what if one were to put a baking dish full of boiling water on the bottom rack to increase the humidity in the oven?

#23 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 03:14 AM

Regarding the loss of moisture due to dry heat, what if one were to put a baking dish full of boiling water on the bottom rack to increase the humidity in the oven?

I do that for roasting chicken. You can also use stock as well as water for more flavour.

I really wouldn't let the heat / water / evaporation thing slow anyone down.

It's not an issue so far as I can tell. If it bothers you just increase the water content of the jars by 10% and see how that works.

#24 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 03:46 AM

where are the pictures friend ?

Pics of steaming? Or of grows?

Do I detect a note of doubt Hip...? :rasta:

I don't post my grows because I experiment a lot with small batches and often the yields are no more than average; or the experiment fails and so no pics either :(

For example I'm still trying to perfiect dark LC syringes so I did up only 5 cakes to get some prints. Right now I've got four cakes down that I did up as a result of a clone syringe. Never cloned before so it should be exciting. If that spawns and fruits well I'll post pics.

Let me rumage around a bit....

Here's a pic of my current stash. Only about 3 oz's. Nothing much to write home about unfortunately. The other two are from older threads about steam steralization.

Check out these threads for more discussion on steam steralization that I've contributed to.

http://mycotopia.net...read.php?t=8227
http://mycotopia.net...hlight=steaming

Attached Thumbnails

• boiling 002.jpg
  • boiling 001.jpg
  • misc 010.jpg

• Cwing0714 likes this

#25 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:40 AM

:bow:

#26 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,307 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:52 AM

Also, the foil under the ring was actually used to prevent wet jars when using the steaming / boiling method in a stock pot.

Jeezus chill. What a great idea. Water getting into my jars has always been a problem. Why didn't I think of that? I guess it is true when they say the mind is the first to go. ;)

#27 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 01:46 PM

Well i just tested out the oven sterilizer idea...1 halfpint filled with hydrated verm only ...
Had a lid with small hole screwed on, then covered with foil..

Waited for oven to stable-iz at 225F ,using an oven thermometer..
90 mins cook time..

Initial jar weight was 319 grams,,,after cooking 317 grams...Surprizingly only a 2g loss of water...

So i cranked it up a bit to 275F for another 90 mins..
The weight dropped to 306g or 11 grams of water loss = 11ml
I did have a pan of water in the oven which evapourated down about 3/4 inch...

So in theory - if you add 11cc extra water per jar it should end up just right eh...?

I guess your right Chill ....:bow: ..could have potential...

#28 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:43 PM

Thanks for the verification golly.

See, if they taught science like this in school everyone would attend class instead of skipping like I did. :D
  • MsBehavin420 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!