• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 purplehaze

purplehaze

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:35 PM

I started 4 Mycobags on Jan. 11. It took them about 1.5-2 weeks to Germinate, and slowly I started seeing mycellium show up. Upon reaching about 50% Colonized I kneeded them, they eached reached this point at different paces. When I say I kneeded them I mean really mixed the shit out of them, some of them had the verm layer on top missplaced throughout the cake accidently. I just wanted to make sure they were mixed well since the back of the bags werent colonizing much. Here I am on Feb 5, almost a month later, only one bag seams to be close to fully colonized ( 80-90%) and some of the bags still seam to be at around 50%. The bag that's mostly colonized has fluffy mycellium on top that looks like it might be forming knots or start pinning soon... but Im a newb so Im not completely sure. someone told me it seamed my caked were a bit dry so I sterlized a syringe and injected approx. 3 cc's into each bag, but now Im seeing some condensation in the bottem of the bag and it's causing me to worry. Im wondering if I should kneed the bag that's at about 90% once again to see if I can get it to fully colonize, or if I should just leave it since I think it may pin soon. I know that while a cake is still colonizing it can take some nutes/energy away from the pins, but right now Im just trying to get whatever I can out of my bags before I have to move and... sadly enough toss them out. Anyway, any suggestions on the matter would be very much appreciated, thankyou for your time. :)

Oh, also, is fluffy looking mycellium a good thing, when the rest of the bag is kindof ropey. BTW the bags appear to be composed of WBS, there may be other ingrediants, I ordered them from sporeworks, the strain is PES Hawaiian. And unfortunately I have no available camera :(

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:06 PM

do not re-mix again
they proly need more air
how do you have them stored ?
if possible they should be hung up to allow air to inflate thru the filter
do they have an injection port ?
you could use an airport to get FAE in the bags
but you can't cut them open for more until
they colonize 100%
so be patient, get them some air & imagine they'll be ok
if delayed

#3 purplehaze

purplehaze

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:58 PM

do not re-mix again
they proly need more air
how do you have them stored ?
if possible they should be hung up to allow air to inflate thru the filter
do they have an injection port ?
you could use an airport to get FAE in the bags
but you can't cut them open for more until
they colonize 100%
so be patient, get them some air & imagine they'll be ok
if delayed

I'm actually... kindof embarrassed to say how I have them stored, I have the bags in a big plastic trashbag about 5 inches away from my heating vent in my house (it's -30 - 0F here right now) but they've been there for a bit, seams to be providing sufficient heating perameters so I dont think that is causing any problems, but it could be. the bags are as inflated as the would be if hung, they're fully extended and there is about 2-3 inches near the top by the port for airspace. I've also been squeezing the air out and pulling the bag back apart on a few occasions to exchange air. I suppose I should concider giving the one an airport, since I only have one extra syringe to do so with. When I first got into this I looked at cultivating mushrooms in such an ignorant way, but now I'm starting to look at it as a very interesting hobby, and I'm finding myself more and more excited about growing them than just eating them when they're done I guess you could say. I say this because I didnt expect that there was a whole lot to it, but now Im learning that there's more to growin mushies than puttin some spores in a bag and stickin it in a trunk for a month lol.

#4 Guest_floppypeter_*

Guest_floppypeter_*

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:10 PM

i have used bags with success. Don't mess with em to much. Make sure that the bags are open and the sub mixed up before inoc. you will know there is air exchange because the bag will look like it has more air in it ! Knead it once. then leave it alone. don't touch the f'in things. I know its hard. mycology is like discovering your nuts for the first time, fascinating. leave em be for a few days. You may want to consider mixing one bag of spawn with a mix of verm, cow poo, and coir. The hawians are huge when spawned to poo ime. Not so much form cakes.

Don't worry about the water content of the bags. You can always dunk em when they are colonized.

I dare you to forget about them for a few days.

good luck

lots of floppy luv

peter

#5 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:14 PM

if worst come just put a dab of silicone on the top most of the bag and insert a poly fill syringe for the airport, i tend to have problems with the filter patches and i find by doing this helps alot.

siam

#6 purplehaze

purplehaze

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:26 PM

Thanks alot for the replies fellas, I dont have the ca$h right now to go buying ingrediants... Im literally broke lol, I dont even have a thermometer atm.... I mean, this is totally Ghetto style growing.
I'm hoping that things pan out on their own, I've got a couple weeks before I have to dump the bags regardless... and I'll cry if I dont get anything, after an overabundance of TLC... or atleast watching them do nothing day after day... 5 times a day. Not saying I mess with them every day, I just lift them up by the top and look at the growth. Would be very nice to get my hands on some poo, I already got a big bag o' verm, but I dont have any spare $$$ and I wouldnt know where to get it in the first place. Again thanks for the posts :)

#7 StroFun

StroFun

Master Baiter

• Expired Member
  • 501 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:46 AM

I hear ya on the ghetto broke grow my friend. Just follow the advice given and you will be pleasantly surprised.

#8 purplehaze

purplehaze

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:07 PM

I was just looking at my cakes today, and on the one that's almost fully colonized I noticed a bit of bluing, this is strange because from what I read it's from dehydration, but I just injected some water into the bag a few days ago. I'm quite sure it's not contams. Also, on one section of the bag I've noticed really weak looking mycellium that seams to be very fuzzy but transparent and not as fluffy and bright white as the rest. you can see the little pieces of substrate through the mycellium. Im not sure if there's a problem, but I assume the solution would be just to wait it out, as is typically the case.

#9 Guest_floppypeter_*

Guest_floppypeter_*

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:00 PM

Those bags are going to explode in pins any day now. Stop handeling them, you will go blind if you don't stop !! lol
You can use $5 manure from hoe depot or go to a local horse or dairy farm and get straw and some old poop for free. Put the and straw on a cookie sheet and break it into small chunks and pieces throw it into a ziploc bag ( need to wet the sub to field capicity before/if you ziploc it) or pillow case (no water neccesarry draining sub overnigth gets it to field capacity. and put in some water on your stove at about a 2 and a half or 3 setting. Let it simmer for about 3 hours ime this should be about 170-200 degrees to 4 liters of water and one gallon bag of sub, give or take, no thermo meter needed for this ghetto grow. Let the sub cool/drip dry if you use a pillow case. Take a cardboard box and put down a layer of sub, break up half your spawn cake in a layer on top, put down two inches of sub, next put down the rest of your cake crumbled up in a even layer, I make my top layer extra thick so the mych doesn't poke through to early and makes overlay an isssue, cover the box with a piece of black trash bag, keep it in the dark until the sub is 90% consumed and do some reading about casing in the mean time. This method costs nothing or PM me and I will have a FOAF mail you some sub for free. Hate to see good spawn go to waste. Obviously this is a quick over view and a few bits of info are missing but hopefully you get the idea that you can maximize the power of your spawn and your yield by learing how to use a bulk substrate, for free. No money required. Take the money and Mammon out of any thing and good things happen

mammon.jpg

#10 purplehaze

purplehaze

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:56 PM

Thanks for the advice floppy, and the vote of confidence 'in a couple days you'll have mad pins poppin up' .... I sure as hell hope so lol. I would be casing, but I'm moving very soon and I don't even know if I have time to see the bags I already have fruit :_(. But I have a GT print and some re-usable Syringes to start another grow if this is the case. Thanks alot for the offer on the substrate too :) I love you topians hehe... unfortunately, even if I were to take you up on that I wouldnt know where to tell ya to send it because I havent found a new apartment quit yet, still searchin :). I'll keep you fellas updated on how my cakes are doin for anyone who's interested, maybe I can get some pic's up if I can find my digi.

Thanks Again,
Haze

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!