• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Boombloom

Boombloom

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:07 PM

Here is a little technique i came up with for easily replacable tyvek filters.

What you need:

Water bottle
tyvek
x-acto knife
Tin foil
Cooking pan
Dremel with grinder would help

I took a regular drinking water bottle and cut the threaded end off 1/8" below the lip where the safety seal is.

Using an xacto knife i cut a hole in the cap while it was still on the bottle mouth using the inside of the mouth itself for a guide. This is easier with a transparent cap.

I drilled a 1/2" hole in the top of a jar lid then brought it up to the size of the bottle neck with a dremel grinder.

Once the bottle neck fits perfectly in the hole on the lid I heated a pan on the stove at high temp and put a piece of foil to not damage the pan.

With the bottle neck inserted in to the hole on the jar lid so that the bottom of the lip made contact with the top of the jar lid I firmly pressed the neck on to the hot foil to basically make a plastic rivet. This should only take about 2 seconds.

I then cut a piece of tyvek the same diameter as the bottle cap and inserted it in to the bottle cap and screwed it on to my new lid assembley.

Presto. A replacable tyvek filter housing. I can crank the lid down nice and tight and there is no play. The plastic is literally molded on to the jar lid.

Now, i do not have a PC so i dont know how it will hold up to high pressure and heat but if it doesnt work out you can make this set up using a Monster energy drink aluminum bottle with aluminum cap and use rtv silicone to put it in place. I belive it is durable enough to take it as is. If anyone tries it with a pc let me know.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5213.jpg
  • IMG_5214.jpg
  • IMG_5212.jpg
  • IMG_5210.jpg

#2 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:06 AM

Pretty cool idea, man. You might want to make the tyvek filter a little smaller, though. Too much fresh air and your jar will dry out.

#3 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,654 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:59 AM

Yeah that hole is a bit to big but an excellent idea, man. Just get another lid and drill a hole in it about the size of a pencil eraser.

#4 Boombloom

Boombloom

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:02 AM

Thanx guys. I will either add tape to it or make em smaller. I originally thought bigger was better so pressure could escape.

#5 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,654 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:24 AM

I do have one more concern. Was there a pp5 rating on the bottle. All my water bottles are only pp1. Look on the bottle for the recycled symbol. It looks like 3 arrows that form a triangle. If there is a 5 in the middle of the triangle it can be pc'd. If no 5 then it can't be.

#6 meatwad

meatwad

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:05 PM

I do have one more concern. Was there a pp5 rating on the bottle. All my water bottles are only pp1. Look on the bottle for the recycled symbol. It looks like 3 arrows that form a triangle. If there is a 5 in the middle of the triangle it can be pc'd. If no 5 then it can't be.

Is that a FACT, or is it not?

I mean, if somthing dosen't have a 5, couldn't it still be pressure cookable, but MAY not work?

Whereas if it has the 5, then it is guaranteed to pressure cook?

I used a plastic container with no pp5, and it pressure cooked just fine at 10psi for a hour.

#7 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,654 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:46 PM

pp5 is guaranteed to work. I've done it many times. I don't know about you but I have never tried it with another pp# because it is not guaranteed and supposedly does not work. I would not want to run the risk of melting my project inside my pc.

Maybe you should gather all the different types of plastic and start pc'ing them all. Post your data here. If they all work then great. My money is on the pp5.

10 psi is not the same as 15.

#8 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:19 PM

You might want to do unknown plastic in a jar or at least sitting on aluminum foil. Melted plastic in the PC is a horrid mess, from the stories I've read.

I think D8's reasoning is quite sound and along the lines of "PP5 is guaranteed and better safe than sorry with your PC." PCs are expensive. PP5 plastic is cheap.

#9 Boombloom

Boombloom

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:32 PM

If u guys that use PCs are sweatin this then just go with your own version...Im sure some kinda metal plumbing fittings will do it fine. And i already mentioned the fully aluminum Monster energy drink bottles (caps too) This is just a first attempt Ill be back with a better version...Or maybe one of you will beat me to it. The key here is to have some kind of easily replacable tyvek setup ....cuz like any other filter it will clog somewhat over time and oh yeah CLEANLINESS dont hurt either.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!